Thread: Two in one cage?

Killer Kyle 41

Default Two in one cage?

is it wise to keep two pacman frogs in the same tank that are roughly the same size?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Two in one cage?

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Kyle 41 View Post
    is it wise to keep two pacman frogs in the same tank that are roughly the same size?
    Absolutely not! They are loners and prefer it that way. They will not get along. You can only house 2 Pacs together if there is a divider between them making 2 enclosures out of one large one. They also should not be able to see one another.

Killer Kyle 41

i was jw cause on youtube and other places people have multiple pacman frogs in one cage, i thought that could be risky and not very bright to do

Nationality
    [United States]

well you can keep them in big groups but have a big tank and two waterdishes
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Kyle 41 View Post
    i was jw cause on youtube and other places people have multiple pacman frogs in one cage, i thought that could be risky and not very bright to do
    Its a bad idea. I have seen it on YouTube as well. I do know one member who keeps 2 large males together without a divider. PyxieBob is his user name. He has two 5 inch male Cranwellis. 0ne very nice looking Green and the other is a striking Albino. They lived together all their lives. Its still not a good idea, but he is one who has done it successfully. Although he may have them separated now. He hasn't been on for quite a while. I strongly advise against it. Very risky.

Peachy

I've had my 2 ornates housed together in a plastic tub since they were quarter-sized. They don't attack each other or anything but that's probably because they're well fed.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I've had my 2 ornates housed together in a plastic tub since they were quarter-sized. They don't attack each other or anything but that's probably because they're well fed.
    Probably. Its extremely risky with these frogs being such veratious eaters. I've seen videos of Pyxies kept together as well. As many as 5 adults. In the same large enclosure. I see that as way more risky than Pacs.

Peachy

Yeah pixies are a lil different in my opinion. Much more aggressive and really, ANYTHING is food.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Yeah pixies are a lil different in my opinion. Much more aggressive and really, ANYTHING is food.
    Pacmans like Pyxies should be kept alone unless breeding. They can severely hurt or even kill eachother even if they are of equal size. The only time they seek eachother is during breeding season. They don't like companionship. You may be one of the few who have a successful duo.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have heard more than one sad story about people who kept more than one Pacman Frogs together for a long time. All it takes is one unexpected move from one of the Pacman Frogs, and the other one can easily mistake it for food. Once they bite on, it can be hard, or impossible for them to let go. Sad stories.

I can never figure out why people do that (PyxieBob being an obvious exception). What is the point of keeping two animals together that may eventually kill each other. Honestly though, if the little pacs don't grow up together, they aren't going to think twice about turning the other one into a snack. They are a preditory animal. Just seems selfish to risk two Pacman Frog's lives.

demeteraurion

My frogs are in the same tank but I have a divider in between them. I would never put my two frogs together ever, just not worth the risk. Especially since Frobert is Mr. hungry eyes.

Surrealasm

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    ... They also should not be able to see one another.
    I'm curious as to why this is; how damaging it could be... I've got my pacmans in adjacent translucent cages so they can share a heating element. Should I move them?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealasm View Post
    I'm curious as to why this is; how damaging it could be... I've got my pacmans in adjacent translucent cages so they can share a heating element. Should I move them?
    Pacmans can be very determined creatures. If they see another frog, they may try to go after it. Regardless of what triggers the reaction (breeding impulse, hunger, territorital assertion, etc.) I have heard many stories about pacs in clear, divided tanks either hopping over or sqeezing around the glass divider. I have also seen them go after their own reflection. They think it is another frog and will ram into the glass again and again, causing serious harm to themselves. You can't predict when this will happen; they may be kept together for months or even years before something triggers an agressive action. These frogs are not meant to cohabitate.

In your case, Surrealasm, you can place some sort of background on the glass not covered by the heating element. Then they will not be able to see each other; problem solved. It is a good idea to have three sides of the tank covered regardless. It reduces visual stress for them, and they feel more secure.

Thread Information