Thread: A question for members of the Forum from New Zealand...

Jess

Default A question for members of the Forum from New Zealand...

Do you think it would be possible, or have you tried, to get Whites, or even Red Eyed tree Frogs into New Zealand? Particularly from Australia.
    I've just emailed MAF to see what they say...though since we have none here I'd say we can't, or it would be EXTREMELY pricy, to get them in. I'd really love to though!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: A question for members of the Forum from New Zealand...

Hi Jess, I know a couple of years ago someone was selling Whites tree frogs on Trade me. MAF heard about it and apparently tracked all the frogs down and destroyed them. Back in the 1800 when the Green & Goldens, Southerns and the Whistling tree frogs were introduced to NZ, so were the Whites but MAF say they didn't survive and so anyone keeping these frogs and are court get prosecuted and the frogs destroyed. MAF are very strict so we will never be able to have these frogs or any other frogs that come from out of NZ :-(.

I know someone who was involved in this and it was devastating for them. But MAF must know what they are doing and its for our own Natives safety.

I've often wondered about it but MAF would probably say no knowing how strict they are.

Jess

Even if you got a permit, and were prepared to go through all the proper channels, quarantine, and shell out the money? From the sounds of it MAF didn't know about these Whites that were on TM, so obviously they were smuggled in.
    If we can have Chinchilla's and Macaws, etc, I don't see why we can't have these breeds of frogs . We'll have to see what MAF says, you're probably right though Ebony.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

I know the Zoo's have to have a special permit to keep our own Natives. In the Christchurch Zoo's they keep the introduced frogs only at this stage. Orana park has recently got a permit to try a breeding program for the Maud Island Frog (NZ Native) but i've not seen any other frog species in our zoo's. Im sure if it were possible the Zoo'z would have frogs from over seas. Let me know how you get on though. Gosh I would have to expand my house if we were able to keep them..lol.

Jess

LOL...I would have to expand mine too! Like I said, I think you're probably right...but one lives in hope. I don't wanna move to Aussie just so I can get them .

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Yeah..im tempted too :-D . These earthquakes keep up I might..lol

Jason22

I don't think there was any proof that the white tree frogs had been smuggled in so to my knowledge he was not convinced of smuggling. only had lots of court cost.
    the last whites tree frog was thought to be alive in the 80s i think, untill a few year ago.

I its not very likely that we will be able to import herps of any kind into nz untill the laws change witch they probably wont.

Jess

Oh well, it's worth a try anyway. Will post up what MAF says when I get their answer.

Jess

Here's what they had to say...

Sadly the answer is no. We do not permit the importation of frogs into New Zealand. Under the Biosecurity Act 1993, the importation of live animals into New Zealand cannot occur unless there is an import health standard. This standard must be based on an analysis of the risks of introducing pests and diseases associated with the importation. At present there is no import health standard or risk analysis for the importation of frogs into New Zealand.

In order for MAF Biosecurity to consider prioritising development of a new import health standard, a formal application must be submitted.

It should be noted that development of an IHS is a lengthy process and in some cases may be precluded by the level of disease risk.

So it seems, it might be a possibility...if an IHS is created, and the level of disease risk isn't a problem. Also, I have a link to the application for an IHS, if anyone is interested, just PM me.

Jason22

Very expensive to do i have heard and maf not that interested. whites tree frog will probably not make that standard because they live in a similar environment to nz so if released may pose a risk to natives.

Jess

I think it would be worth it. Even if Whites weren't allowed, it seems that if an IHS for Frogs were created we may be able to get other breeds in, which I think would be great!

Jason22

It would be great. no harm in trying but it would be quite expensive to set up. you would have get someone overseas to quarantine them, them get them tested. If Maf could provide a list of all the disease they would reject that would be helpful but they probably don't know what they don't want.
    Would be easy to get passed the environment threating part because you would just import frogs that have no chance of living here

Jess

Exactly . I would assume, disease-wise, that MAF wouldn't want anything that we don't already have here, and yes, if they were quarantined and tested before they're sent, or/and quarantined when they arrive, that should cover that. But of course, yeh, I do believe it would be quite pricy to get an IHS, have heard the amount $10,000 been bandied around.

Jason22

Plus the cost of the quarantine witch i think is 3 months but not shore. so would probably be easier to quarantine them here. but i guess maf would have to do it, and i'm picking there not cheap lol.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Thanks for finding all that all out Jess. Might be easier to move then ah?...lol

Jess

Maybe Ebony, maybe :P.

Thread Information