Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cichlid lover

piroman

Default Re: Cichlid lover

If I had frogs I would have a reversed problem, frogs would eat my fishes You say breeding male, that means that you are spawning them? Sorry for the eaten guy, but I also love cats, so it's one for cats This toe pads show just how little or almost nothing I know about frogs About pictures, everything is ok, don't feel like you need to do anything, I've already got these 3 great pictures and if I don't get anything more it will be a success. If I get more pictures, maybe I'll add them to some image rotator, so anyway this is very useful for me.

Thank you!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    Great photo Kristen; congrats!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

piroman

As I already wrote I couldn't agree more!

Here's some of my work, but you must keep in mind that my cichlids are enormously fast and they are 100% submerged Not all cichlids are fast, some are very calm, but Tropheus are hell for focus To be exact this is Tropheus sp. Ilangi from lake Tanganyika, Nkamba Bay. This variant is called "Orange Ilangi" and it's a darker type with less contrast in color.

Name:  thmb_tropheus_sp_ilangi_16_01_2010_3.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  79.6 KB

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by piroman View Post
    If I had frogs I would have a reversed problem, frogs would eat my fishes You say breeding male, that means that you are spawning them? Sorry for the eaten guy, but I also love cats, so it's one for cats This toe pads show just how little or almost nothing I know about frogs About pictures, everything is ok, don't feel like you need to do anything, I've already got these 3 great pictures and if I don't get anything more it will be a success. If I get more pictures, maybe I'll add them to some image rotator, so anyway this is very useful for me.

Thank you!
    By breeding male, He was male that I could breed with and had success breeding with him, he was the little guy that made all the money
    Same I love cats too I used to have a ragdoll which was really cute, but now I just have a long haired cat called hamish and a black tabby, called tabitha
    and I guess we all used to know nothing about frogs, we have to start somewhere ;D
    Okay but if you need more pictures of frogs let me know
    and its my pleasure,

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by piroman View Post
    As I already wrote I couldn't agree more!

Here's some of my work, but you must keep in mind that my cichlids are enormously fast and they are 100% submerged Not all cichlids are fast, some are very calm, but Tropheus are hell for focus To be exact this is Tropheus sp. Ilangi from lake Tanganyika, Nkamba Bay. This variant is called "Orange Ilangi" and it's a darker type with less contrast in color.

Name:  thmb_tropheus_sp_ilangi_16_01_2010_3.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  79.6 KB
    Do you do photography?because thats really good ! I know nothing about fish, but that sounds interesting, how big is he/she?

piroman

Name:  frog progress logo.png
Views: 178
Size:  27.2 KB

Here's current look of logo, if I get more pictures, I'll try them as well. I knew little about photography (just from my job with photo editing), than we made cichlid website and everything got crazy Just a year latter I was buying Canon EOS 350D and some lenses because our cichlid gallery was very luring, people from all around globe were checking our pictures since we had some very rare and quality cichlids pictures. For next 3-4 years we were having regular photo sessions at different cichlid enthusiasts and cichlid shops. It was so crazy that we were going in this visits even when we were sick That's how I learned to use camera.

Fish in picture is he and it's a fully grown male, and they usually get around 12cm but can get much bigger even 17cm. Keeping cichlids is NOT hard nor expensive, as long as you follow few simple rules:

1. Malawi mbuna is group of cichlids you want as a beginner because they are cheap, very colorful, very active and most important of all they can withstand most of beginners errors. BTW they are spawning very easily so there's no end to rookies happiness
    2. Your first tank should be as big as you can afford, because always bigger is better. Big tank means no feces pollution problem, steady temperature, stable ph value etc. Don't start with small tank it's just a source of problems.
    3. Overfiltration is a must! You can NEVER have too much flow of volume of filtration material. Let's say that for a 100l non cichlid tank you can use 250l/h pump for filtration, with cichlids you can start with maybe 500l/h, but 1t/h or 2t/h is very good.
    4. Use only expensive quality food, or DIY food, never go with cheap questionable food.
    5. Water change should be ideally continuous or at least half volume per week.

If you follow these simple rules you can't go wrong.

Here are some other cichlids, they are all from lake Tanganyika except Aulonocara and Pseudotropheus which come from lake Malawi.

Name:  thmb_altolamprologus_calvus_white_chaitika.jpg
Views: 1290
Size:  68.0 KBName:  thmb_aulonocara_sp._rubin_red_male_30_08_2009.jpg
Views: 3885
Size:  60.7 KBName:  thmb_lepidiolamprologus_meeli_16_01_2010.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  34.7 KBName:  thmb_pseudotropheus_demasoni_18-01-2010.jpg
Views: 3493
Size:  63.2 KBName:  thmb_tropheus_sp.jpg
Views: 2662
Size:  62.9 KBName:  thmb_tropheus_sp_ilangi_16_01_2010_2.jpg
Views: 3475
Size:  52.7 KBName:  thmb_tropheus_sp_zongwe_16_01_2010_1.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  46.7 KB

Please don't hesitate to ask me anything about cichlids, I'll gladly answer to all questions as long as I have idea how to answer

Kristen

Thats good as, hopefully i'll get round to taking some more pictures soon
    Thats cool can I have the link to your website? I shall check it out, I love looking at photos of things, even fish haha
    and thats cool, how big is the biggest one you have? haha and this may sound stupid, but do they have them in Australia? and I really like the first picture,

piroman

Web site was: ciklidi.org - Index but now it's under new management and has lost most of pictures from galleries Check it, and you'll some very interesting fishes there. Biggest fish i have currently is 15cm long, but I had much bigger cichlids from lake Malawi. There's a dispute, about which cichlid is the biggest in world, between fans of american cichlids and fans of african cichlids. Based on my research, the biggest cichlid in the world is Boulengerochromis microlepis. It comes from lake Tanganyika and has a very stupid spawning method. When these fishes mature, they mate, and then guard their offspring so vigorously that they don't eat at all. In the end, when juveniles are capable of taking care about them self, mom and dad die, because they literally consume their inner organs and muscles during guarding period. Luckily this can be skipped in captivity by simply removing youngsters Cichlids are regulars in aquaristic hobby in Australia. There are lots of shops, selling them down under. Thank you for the compliments about pictures, all I can say about them is that you can't beat DSLR cameras no matter what kind of pictures you are taking. Expensive DSLR and specialized lenses give top results...

You should check this video: Jewel of the Rift(Part2) - YouTube
    first 3 minutes show Boulegerochromis microlepis spawning, and you can see how they kick turtle's ***

piroman

Hi frog lovers, is anyone else willing to give it a try?

Nationality
    [United States]

Kristen,

HOW ADORABLE!!!!! I love these pictures! What an expressive litle face.... Hey, if Cichlid lover does not like these there is something wrong with him (haha).

piroman

Very very wrong

Look guys I have to start this website 01.02.2012. and I must finish all design etc. I 'll have to finish this logo story on this Friday 20.01.2012. so I'm just asking is there anyone else how could contribute? Current logo with Kristen's picture is very cool, I'm just hoping for something with Android. If you have a picture of frog eating ICS, that's a certain logo

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
    Kristen,

HOW ADORABLE!!!!! I love these pictures! What an expressive litle face.... Hey, if Cichlid lover does not like these there is something wrong with him (haha).
    Thank you!
    But I guess I know what he means, because he wants more options for his website and different variety. But thankyou anyways

Nationality
    [United States]

cichlidlover,
    you might try posting your requestion in the general discussion section of the site. I believe that you might get more people seeing it there.

piroman

Thanks for the advice Rivkah, but I thought it would be too "in your face" if I started my first message with very explicit request in general discussion forum I've decided to introduce my self and ask for help. Now I think it would be very confusing to start this again in different thread, mainly because of Kristen's effort. Kristen did an incredibly good picture (Kristen, why did you had to buy iphone ) and my search would be over if it was Android phone or device. I am considering of adding an android installation screen (android mascot with shovel) to that iphone, and in that way I'll solve my only problem with Kristen's foto.

Maybe a moderator or admin could move this entire thread to some other, more appropriate forum? That way I may get some other pictures, but in the same time, the quality standard set by Kristen, would be preserved.

Thank you Rivkah for support and thank you Kristen again for the best job!

pansie

Kristen, i LOVE your pics!!! You are making me want one!!

RayRay143

these are great pics, your WTF is so cute....

Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by pansie View Post
    Kristen, i LOVE your pics!!! You are making me want one!!
    Thank you and they're hard to resist, im getting two more soon, haha

Quote Originally Posted by RayRay143 View Post
    these are great pics, your WTF is so cute....
    Thank you his adorable,

Nationality
    [United States]

cichlidlover,

When I first jointed this site it was to find a home for a special ACF (african clawed frog) that morphed without arms (see thread), without first posting an introduction. I posted "home needed" where I thought it would be more correct, the African Clawed Frog section. I believe to post a thread in the general area would have been more correct to get the greatest number of responses. You would simply be correcting the placement of the request/post. Besides, most people, including me, love to show off our creatures given the opportunity.

As far as it being confusing.... state your desire clearly and it would be fine. Using a copy of Kirsten's pictures would make it even better.

piroman

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'm shouting because you're right Rivkah. OK I'll do that later. Currently I'm very angry at myself, because I can't solve some joomla (cms) problems and I can't focus on this matter. Thank you once again for your advice. BTW if you have a camera, please join in, show Kristen who's the boss

Nationality
    [United States]

Cichlidlover, you are talking to an old broad, who is technology resistent....I grew up in an area that had NO phones, no where!, for me even getting to high school was a 70 mile drive over miles of miles of nothing. Most of my friends did not even have indoor plumbing.... to take a bath was to use the hand crank to get water to fill a pot, then on the stove to heat it, before pouring it into the tub. It was not THAT long ago, I am not THAT old! And somehow, we were happier and much more connected to one another than we are now with all the "technology" was was supposed to bring us all together. Truth be told, I actually have no idea what you are talking about when you mention phone types or "some joomla (cms) problems".... too funny.

I don't own a camera, nor do I own frogs (fish, newts and bumblbee toads). Besides, there is no way I could do better than Kristen... there is nothing cuter than Whites.

Don't be angry.... enjoy the journey.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information