Thread: Silurana tropicalis (gfp)

Jake

Default Silurana tropicalis (gfp)

I'm looking for gfp Silurana tropicalis or gfp Xenopus leavis. Send me a pm or email me at axolotl_jake@sbcglobal.net if you have them available.

-Jake

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Silurana tropicalis (gfp)

I know what Silurana tropicalis and Xenopus leavis are, but what is gfp?

Jake

Green flourescent protein. It makes their skin 'glow' in uv light. Scientists took the protein out of jellyfish DNA and injected it into other creature's DNA to create glowing organisms. I doubt gfp frogs are available to hobbiests, but I thought the same about the gfp axolotls and now I have hundreds of them.

Kurt

I kind of have a moral problem with genetic engineering. Should we be playing God? What are the unforeseen results of tampering with nature? Glow in the dark animals are cool and all, but is this something that will blow up in our faces somewhere down the road? I think animals are just fine the way nature made them. I also have a problem with selective breeding too, but that's another story all together.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    I also have a problem with selective breeding too, but that's another story all together.
    Yes, designer dogs are disturbing. I'm not trying to play God here, but the person who 'created' those frogs in the lab might have been.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

You guys are not alone in disliking "designer" animals. In my opinion regular phase corn snakes are far more attractive than any of the color morphs they had now. As for the "gfp" animals, I can understand why you don't like them, but I find them fascinating. I think its really cool because its a great example of genetic engineering in vertebrates. However I do think that it can be a slippery slope for morality.

Alex

justin shockey

i just think it is rong it may be cool but the risk is to high for the frogs you say you like them but you dont care what it will do to them long term do you

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by justin shockey View Post
    i just think it is rong it may be cool but the risk is to high for the frogs you say you like them but you dont care what it will do to them long term do you
    Well, that's your opinion, and only an opinion. In my opinion, the frogs are at no more risk than normal frogs. The only difference is a single protein that just happens to glow under certain light. It's not like they're radio active frogs, just slightly modified.

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Well, that's your opinion, and only an opinion. In my opinion, the frogs are at no more risk than normal frogs. The only difference is a single protein that just happens to glow under certain light. It's not like they're radio active frogs, just slightly modified.
    Even though I don't personally agree with doing that to an animal, it's up to you to do what you want. As long as the animal is well taken care of, then I can't say anything bad. It's almost the same as saying that it's cruel to keep mamals to eventually feed to a herp. Well, I do feed mammals to my herps, and eventhough they are meant for food, they get great care.(I guess it may not be considered the same, but that's the best I can relate). Sorry if it doesn't make much sense.

justin shockey

you going to do what you want but i just think its playing god

Thread Information