Thread: Whites tree frog problem getting more serious

En333

Default Whites tree frog problem getting more serious

My whites tree frog, Kirby, has a problem that I'm getting different answers to. He's lazy, won't eat, sleeps on ground, and usually a dark a color.

I've tried a Luke warm bath with a few drops of honey, but not sure if I should do it daily or what?

I've tried hand feeding him but whenever the cricket gets close, instead of attacking his food, he just winces and recoils? I haven't tried crickets in glass bowl though...

He has lots of climbing space and hopping space in his 10 g long aquarium tank. Lots of plants, live moss substrate with some coco fiber. He has two lamps day light lamp and night lamp. Day temp is 75-80 F and night is around 70 F. Humidity is usually around 65%. About 15 crickets a week, calcium sprayed and water is conditioned.

So I need some advice on honey bath, hand feeding, and any other advice. I really need help!!!!

Thank you SO much!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Whites tree frog problem getting more serious

How long have you had him? Does he move around the tank at night, using the water dish and climbing glass? The 15 crickets is what he is or was eating? Are you finding poop? If so then hes eating.

Most tree frogs are not going to take food from your fingers.

All frogs are lazy so unless he is looking for a way out, heading to a feed or the water dish, then he is probably just going to be sitting around. If he seems to be losing weight then I would be concerned and then would worry about trying to create some appetite in him.

Honey baths are a one time thing, its a sugar rush for them. If hes not eating and losing weight then its time to see a vet and have checked to parasites or worms.

En333

Well I've had him since August, everyone in awhile he will move at night. I put 15 sm crickets at the beginning of each week in his cage, but I'm not sure he's eating. I can't find poop, but I also can't find crickets.

From what most people on here and everywhere else tell me is that their frogs get all excited when they come to had feed them and that they're jumping all around the tank havin fun. I've even witnessed this stuff! Only my poor little Kirby just sits on the ground and hardly eats.

So do think the honey bath will have helped with this? Or will?

Could it be lack in vitamin supplement? Parasites? I can't find a single vet within 100+ miles of where I live. Ive checked online, in the city, everywhere!

I'm goin to start feeding him on a schedule. Ill get a cricket keeper and tongs and everything. Is this a good idea?

Thnx for responding too!

En333

This is Kirby at this exact time.

Is any of that stuff in his pond poop? I never actually witnessed poop in water (or took it as poop) so I dont know.

Does he look healthy? U can't really see his face....

It's not the best pic lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

En333

So I told my mom I might have to take Kirby to the vet. She gave me a look as if "its a frog? U really think in going to take a frog to the vet?!"

I just said ok but when I got to my room I started worrying like heck! Now I don't have any chance of help unless I get her to take us.

What do I do if by chane I do earn a trip to a vet we can find. How much will it cost?

PS: I've never actually seen Kirby's poop except on a leaf but it was long ago (like 4 months lol) (its always burries in his substrate) so I haven't seen fresh ones recently. So this might sound weird but could someone maybe show me a pic of WTF fecal matter or, well, poop lol. I'm desperate

mim

Quote Originally Posted by En333 View Post
    So I told my mom I might have to take Kirby to the vet. She gave me a look as if "its a frog? U really think in going to take a frog to the vet?!"

I just said ok but when I got to my room I started worrying like heck! Now I don't have any chance of help unless I get her to take us.

What do I do if by chane I do earn a trip to a vet we can find. How much will it cost?

PS: I've never actually seen Kirby's poop except on a leaf but it was long ago (like 4 months lol) (its always burries in his substrate) so I haven't seen fresh ones recently. So this might sound weird but could someone maybe show me a pic of WTF fecal matter or, well, poop lol. I'm desperate
    r u sure that hes burryin his poop? iv not heard of this but maybe someone else has, i know mine dont. if not then 4 months without finding poop is a very long time. ull know the poo wen u c it. my frogs do fairly big poos. they look like small rodent poo. i will try take a pic in a bit for u. u should b able to spot it on the leaves or on the floor.
    im unsure of how much a vets bill cots but im guessin like any animal it wont exactly b cheap. ull have to explain to ur mom that it isnt 'just a frog'. this is a living animal and if it needs a vet, then it needs a vet. im unsure of how old u r but maybe u could offer to do chores etc to pay off the vet bill to ur mom. or get a part time job. good luck i will try to take a photo for u

mim

ok hopefull ythis has worked, this poop is a bit dried out (yuck) but u get the general idea of wot it should look like

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

How often do you change the water in his dish? you should change it nightly or at least every other night. Us delclorinated tap water or bottled spring water.

Feeding your frog a few crickets a night or every other night would be way better than once a week.
    Try feeding using a small cereal bowl (glass not plastic) or a large desert bowl. Put the crickets in the bowl at night and any uneaten crickets return to the cricket box in the morning. This way you'll know if he is eating.

They usually do poop in their water. Or below where they sleep.

As for a honey bath..... I wouldn't try unless your frog is totally inactive and not moving from one spot to another.
    Try the change in feeding habits and the routine water changed first.

En333

I do use water conditioner in well water. I don't change it as often as I should. Probably about once every 3-4 days

I've found poop on leaves but not in awhile since he's on the ground a lot. It's just the same color as substrate so I don't notice it.

I know he actually did eat a dead Cricket (dead for about 2 min) because I squished it when trying to feed him, and I came back and it was gone. Unless another cricket ate it XP

I woke up twice last night and he was moving. Once he was on a stick, next in his bowl, and last on the glass.

I'm going to try to feed him daily in stead of giving him all of them and letting him hunt. Only I can't get him to feed from tongs.

Thanks for the poop lol never said that before haha

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

kirby looks ok. he may be dark if he s cold. do you have a lamp for heat? he will not be active . only 1 of my 7 frogs will be tong fed . every one else just clamps shut .if you worry too much you may kill him from the stress of trying to cure something that isnt even wrong.he may poo in his water. you do need to change the water daily.if you are not finding dead crix then he is eating them. try feeding 1/2 the amount 2 times a week rather then leaving 15 crix in with him.

En333

Ya the dead cricket was a one time thing, just seeing what he might do. And thnx everyone for the help! I thought it might just be me and I was getting too worried. I'm just have to step up my game I guess. I've almost convinced my mom to find Kirby a vet. I would pay some serious $$$ if its needed.

Thnx again!

JHansson514

If you're looking for an idea on price, the two different occasions I have taken my frogs to the vet it was $100 each time. That is just for the doctor exam and some general antibiotics. When I had a fecal sample tested it was $20 at one vet (my herp vet said I could get the stool tested at my cat/dog vet - wouldn't recommend it) and it was $75 when i had it tested at the herp vet. Don't let price deter you though. We all love our little guys and if you don't fight for them no one else will. Good luck!

I would put him in a clear tank with some brown natural paper towels and wet them. Try to feed him there. I hand feed my frog but I had to play with that. I hold the cricket and lightly tap his lower lip make sure it doesnt hit him in the face or eyes. When Hetfield didn't take it at first I would try it until he would almost want to bite it and then he finally would grab it. Good thing is he is still soaking in his bowl, I would clean the water every night right now especially. He really should get to a vet if all you have tried isn't working. Each vet cost is different. My Vet, I got his blood tested, stool sample and a digestive track test to see if he was backed up. He was put on an antibiotic and dewormer just in case they missed something because how small they are. That bill was almost $800.00 yea yikes, but I wanted to make sure he was fine in all areas. He wasn't eating over a week and was losing weight but he was soaking. You don't want to wait till he is really weak. And keep an eye out for stool, if its watery and not solid then he might be in trouble. Good luck hun!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

En333

Ok thanks for all the help! I'm going to try that and hopefully he'll start getting better. I almost got him to eat from my hand today. I had almost got him to eat this little crippled cricket I took out of the keeper, but he was freakin out do I put them both in the tank. I checked about 1 min later and Kirby was eyeing that little sucker like a hawk!

Only problem was was that they were both on different vines, the cricket hanging from bottom. Kirby leaped (yay) but missed and fell on his noggin (aw) so did the cricket. He jumped again and they both fell in pool. I got the cricket out (poor thing crippled and half drown) and put him out side of bowl on his side. Didn't see end results but cricket is gone and Kirby was hoppin around. Now he's soaking...

Anyway I sort of had the idea of keeping him in different container for feeding (and pooping) so I could monitor his eating...

Thank you Don, mim, sajane, JHanssen, and Lisa! I'm feeling a little more confident now!

En333

There he is on the side of his lil pond! (he looks red cuz of light, hes sorta brown/green) (mostly brown unfortunately) but I think he is on the road to success!

Ps: that's not poop it's exo terra vine. It's kinda obvious cuz poop air that big but just sayin lol

En333

On his new plant for first time! Turning a little more green....

Thread Information