Thread: Green Tree Frog burying themselves

froggymom

Default Green Tree Frog burying themselves

Hi,

On Saturday Dec 31, my daughter bought two Green Tree Frogs, which she had last year but died (not from disease). The tank is a 30 gal, with coconut/bark substrate, large water dish and heating from a lamp on top. All accessories in tank were cleaned with mild bleach solution the week before, and the top layer of substrate removed and new put on top. I wet the surface of the substrate and the humidity was at about 60 %. After putting the frogs in, we noticed that one tried to dig down, but later they both hid under the log. I noticed the temperature in the tank was low about 65 deg F. I put a heat pad under the tank on one side and moved the lamp into the tank (also noticed my daughter's bedroom was cold, and opened the heat register). At night put in a night bulb to keep the heat up to about 72 on the cold side. Since then both frogs have disappeared. I noticed humidity down, so I added water to the substrate. There are crickets running around seem to be less in number, but unsure.
    Are the frogs okay? Should we be concerned?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Green Tree Frog burying themselves

If you can post a pic of the enclosure that could help. If your frogs are digging they are either (since newly acquired) trying to hide or the humidity is to low.

Basically, you need to ensure that tank is humid and temp are about 68 to 70 at night and 72 to 78 during the day time.
    All while keeping the humidity above 60 percent but not higher than probably 75 percent.

So, do you have a screen top? If so you probably need to cover 1/2 to 2/3 of the top with either a piece of glass or plexi glass or plastic to stop the humidity and heat from escaping. I would move the heat pad to a side and not underneath.

Your frogs are tree frogs so they usually don't spend any time on the substrate and should be hanging out in trees. So, providing plants branches, vines and accents they can climb on, hide behind, sleep on, and use for traveling about the tank is a must.

I would 1st get the humidity up and monitor the temps, while also giving them something to climb on.

You can also feed the crickets in a glass cereal bowl so the crickets don't roam the tank and you can monitor eating.
    Sink the bowl slightly into the substrate and they will find them.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Here is a list of my feeling on the newly acquired tree frogs:

Here is a list of suggestions for the newly acquired frog:
    1. Place the tank in a quiet room and not in direct sunlight
    2. Cover three sides of the tank and remove any night lighting. As long as night time temps are met.
    3. Ensure their environmental needs are met such as temperature and humidity.
    3. Ensure water is either chlorine free (bottled spring) or treated tap water.
    4. Limit the times you enter the tank to only when changing water and adding or removing crickets.
    5. Monitor humidity and temperature and mist once to twice daily but keep that humidity in check.
    6. Provide enough natural accents to allow for hiding, climbing, and perching above the substrate. Since your frog lives in trees, they are rarely found on the substrate and prefer to move from leaf to vine to branch to explore the tank.
    7. Slowly remove covered sides over a few weeks to let them become accustomed to their surroundings.
    8. Ensure the crickets provided are no longer than the width of the frogs head.
    9. Monitor the frogs activity and weight. If your frog moves around at night in the dark and soaks or sits at the water dish edge, then he/she is doing fine. If a physical visual condition is seen, then its time to worry.

and finally..... relax. That is what your frog needs to do and you should too.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

froggymom

Thanks for the advice....

I don't have a picture of the tank. It has a large fake tree and some plastic vine in the corners. The water dish is fairly large (about 10" long and 4" wide) with rocks in it. I use treated water in it. The top is screened, and I will cover it as stated, however my house is always on the humid side (I have to use a dehumidifier in the basement to get rid of the moisture), and I mist the tank twice a day.

Hopefully the frogs are okay........I didn't want to disturb them to check on them....

Thanks again.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

You can peek in on them at night occasionally but try not to scare them with bright lights or loud noises. I still have to peek in on my Red Eyed Tree Frogs which don't like night lighting what so ever and they have been living in their viv for 1 1/2 years now.

:-)

froggymom

Thought to send an update......After a week of covering the tank, one of the frogs was visible, but stayed hiding in the plants. Crickets disappeared during the night, so I assumed it was eating. The second frog however, didn't appear. I was worried that it had died, but after 2 weeks it appeared quite suddenly. My daughter, when she misted the tank in the morning, was surprised to see it clinging to the glass. Since then both frogs are active and are found out on the glass. After our devastating frog loss last year, my daughter has had a hard time adjusting to the new frogs. She didn't even know if she wanted more, and is scared that they will die. She is now smiling again! Thanks again for the advice!

Thread Information