Smile Beginner need pacman frog help

I am wondering if a pacman is a good first amphibian

If not what is maybe fire salamander

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

TypicalRoGAzz

Default Re: Beginner need pacman frog help

Also what should I be paying for 1 in England was thinking of buying 1 of exotic pets

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Pacman frogs are wonderful animals. I love mine. That being said, I do not really think they are a good choice for a first time amphibian-keeper despite large pet stores selling them as "good beginner pets." They require specific conditions which must be maintained for a healthy frog. If their temperature and humidity don't stay in the right ranges, the frog will experience major health problems. Another complaint so people have is that pacmans cannot be handled much. They get stressed out easily. So if you like a lot of one on one time with your pets then these are not the amphibian for you. First time keepers are also often unprepared for the costs. Although Cranwellis only cost about $15, the start-up costs of buying a terrarium, equipment, food, suppliments, etc are around $150-200. Pacmans are also considered an exotic pet so should they ever need vet treatment, it can be expensive (if you can even find a vet who treats amphibians). I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say that they won't pay more than the frog costs to get a proper home for it or seek medical treatment if needed. And it breaks my heart everytime I have to see a frog suffer because of this.

All of this being said, I am not necessarily telling you no. I just want you to be aware of the most common complaints that I hear. If you feel that these things will not be an issue for you, then by all means get a pacman. They are amazing creatures. I love mine and consider them part of my family. But there may be other pets that would require a little less maintanance and be better for a first timer. I have never kept fire salamanders so I can't really direct you on that one. But there are people on here who keep them. There is a pacman care article on this forum. Read through it; it will give you more specifics on what is required to care for a pacman. One of the biggest issues is that there is very little information out there about pacmans and what is out there is often conflicting. You are on this forum though, so you're on the right track. Thank you very much for asking questions BEFORE making a decision. It is always best to research a pet beforehand.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helped a little. If you have any more questions, just let us know.

5. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry the prices are in US dollars. I'm sure exactly what is would be in pounds...

Nationality
    [United States]

+1 to above! Also, read this article so you can get a clear idea of what basic care is required for a Pacman: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding . I have a C. cranwelli and I'm fine not handling it or any other of my pets (an attack African Bullfrog, 10 aggressive fish; and 4 arboreal tarantulas).
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

TypicalRoGAzz

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Pacman frogs are wonderful animals. I love mine. That being said, I do not really think they are a good choice for a first time amphibian-keeper despite large pet stores selling them as "good beginner pets." They require specific conditions which must be maintained for a healthy frog. If their temperature and humidity don't stay in the right ranges, the frog will experience major health problems. Another complaint so people have is that pacmans cannot be handled much. They get stressed out easily. So if you like a lot of one on one time with your pets then these are not the amphibian for you. First time keepers are also often unprepared for the costs. Although Cranwellis only cost about $15, the start-up costs of buying a terrarium, equipment, food, suppliments, etc are around $150-200. Pacmans are also considered an exotic pet so should they ever need vet treatment, it can be expensive (if you can even find a vet who treats amphibians). I can't tell you how many times I have heard people say that they won't pay more than the frog costs to get a proper home for it or seek medical treatment if needed. And it breaks my heart everytime I have to see a frog suffer because of this.

All of this being said, I am not necessarily telling you no. I just want you to be aware of the most common complaints that I hear. If you feel that these things will not be an issue for you, then by all means get a pacman. They are amazing creatures. I love mine and consider them part of my family. But there may be other pets that would require a little less maintanance and be better for a first timer. I have never kept fire salamanders so I can't really direct you on that one. But there are people on here who keep them. There is a pacman care article on this forum. Read through it; it will give you more specifics on what is required to care for a pacman. One of the biggest issues is that there is very little information out there about pacmans and what is out there is often conflicting. You are on this forum though, so you're on the right track. Thank you very much for asking questions BEFORE making a decision. It is always best to research a pet beforehand.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helped a little. If you have any more questions, just let us know.
    Wow thanks that a lot of imformation also I am a teen so times not an issue money is not either but thank you for your answer

TypicalRoGAzz

A reason I want one is because they fascinate me the way they sit there the way they eat and the way look

Peachy

Ornate horned frog or giant african bullfrog. Best bets.

TypicalRoGAzz

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Ornate horned frog or giant african bullfrog. Best bets.
    I was thinking albino

Peachy

Albino pacs are cool just realise that they are cranwelli, not ornata. Many stores will fool you with the name but if its albino you want make sure to use no uvb lighting because it can burn albinos

TypicalRoGAzz

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    Albino pacs are cool just realise that they are cranwelli, not ornata. Many stores will fool you with the name but if its albino you want make sure to use no uvb lighting because it can burn albinos
    thanks didnt know that because when i looked at a care vid on youtube he was

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh, I forgot to mention that they have a long lifespan, so owning one is a definite long-term commitment. If properly cared for they can live 10-12 years. Some can even live to 20+ years.

Yes, pet stores often mislable pacmans either to bump up the price or just out of ignorance. When I bought my brown Cranwelli Grif (the one in my profile pic) she was labled as an albino- which she clearly isn't. Cranwellis are the most commonly available in the pet trade so they cost the least. Ornates cost a little more. Hybrids cost even more. It is best to buy from a reputable breeder than chain pet store if possible. You are more likely to get a well-cared for frog. Reptile/amphibians expos are a good place to look.

With regards to Albinos: Albino pacman aren't true albinos. They are a color morph of the Ceratophrys Cranwelli. Their eyes can be a little more sensitive than other breeds, but there is virtually no difference in the care of Albinos. The UVB light is not needed for any Pacman. UVB lighting is to help reptiles and amphibians to produce D3 on there own. It can possibly hurt their eyes. You aren't supposed to use fluorescent lights which is what most UVB lights are. They are extremely bright most of the time and can possibly harm their eyes. If you are going to use a light for heat use an incandescent light with a lamp that has a dimmer switch like a dial. This way you can adjust the heat and brightness of the light. Dusting the Pacs food with a calcium supplement that contains D3 is sufficient. This applys to any pacman.

Thread Information