Thread: White marks on cork forest background..

tmalla1

Default White marks on cork forest background..

Ive been running my terrarium for a few days and have noticed white marks on my cork board where i have my waterfall. Is this mold that can be harmful to my frog? I have also seen on here how some mold will first grow, then go away and wont hurt the frog..help is appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

En333

Could you share some pics?

tmalla1

Default Re: White marks on cork forest background..

Its a little hard to see, but its underneath where i have the waterfall coming off of the cork background. It looks like a milky colored substance..I put dechlorinated water to use for the waterfall. It is also by the moss along the edge of the water bowl/cork background.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If it's not slimy, I'm betting it's calcium deposits, which are harmless.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    If it's not slimy, I'm betting it's calcium deposits, which are harmless.
    do you think calcium deposits could be in substrate as well? i have something similar at the bottom of my tank - they look like little white dots, but don't appear slimy. i cleaned everything out on Friday, its now just Tuesday and i've already notice some more coming back.....sorry to jump in on someone else's thread, but they seem to be the same type of thing.....thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

Can you post a picture?

I have had calcium deposits on my substrate, rocks, plants, and vines. If your turn your substrate every now and then it is not noticeable. It takes a bit for the calcium to collect enough to be visible. It was also on the edges of my waterfall. That is how I figured it off ... I had taken out my waterfall for a good cleaning and the white spots were like soft rock buildup.

We have hard water here. I have tested it with the aquarium test strips to see.

When my misting water dries on my tank walls it leaves spots. I know I can use distilled water for misting, but with three tanks misting twice a day, I use nearly a gallon a day, so...
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

i will try and post pic when i get home - i noticed the same thing in one my potted plants (not in the tank) when i was repotting it the other day too. kinda makes me think of a bunch of tiny egg sacks, but i know they arent...at least i wouldn't think so!

tmalla1

Were having the same problem so its all good! The white marks do look milky along my waterfall and im just worried itll hurt my RETF

Nationality
    [United States]

@ pandora
    I'm not so sure about that. That sounds different than what I've seen. Just be cautious it's not an unsafe insect(s).

Nationality
    [United States]

If it's calcium deposits it's not a problem.

JHansson514

Lately I've had the same white spots in my tank as well, but I don't have a waterfall. It all started when I added a fake plant that has a wood base and it definitely started growing mold. I took the decoration out immediately, but a few days later I noticed the white spots on the substrate. I have also noticed the same spots on potted plants outside the tank (just like Pandora) with the same substrate as the tank (I intended on putting these plants in my frog tank, I was just giving the root system a head start). They almost look like a version of snow mold, the stuff that is sometimes on the grass after winter. I think I would lean more towards the spots being mold, but I agree with Heather that hard water definitely causes calcium deposits, but it takes a few weeks for it to be visible. Unfortunately I don't know how it affects frogs, but I assume it can't be good.

Thread Information