Thread: Rawhead hasn't eatin' for over 7 days...

k0cky

Default Rawhead hasn't eatin' for over 7 days...

...and his poop has been a creamy white the whole time i've had him. When I bought him on 12/13/11 he was really big, almost too big, since then I've only gotten him to eat 4 times, always dubia's, and now he looks way too thin. The temp/moisture is all fine. Rex, who is in the other half of the tank, has never had a problem eating or pooping normally, I have plants between them and they cannot see each other, so stress shouldn't be an issue. Anything else I forgot to mention feel free to ask. I've tried feeding him in his home, as well as in a small tub. I'm going to pick up worms and crickets tomorrow to se if he will eat it, but at this rate, I'm not too sure that will help. Any other suggestions? This guy is so cool looking, I don't want to lose him.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Rawhead hasn't eatin' for over 7 days...

Quote Originally Posted by k0cky View Post
    ...and his poop has been a creamy white the whole time i've had him. When I bought him on 12/13/11 he was really big, almost too big, since then I've only gotten him to eat 4 times, always dubia's, and now he looks way too thin. The temp/moisture is all fine. Rex, who is in the other half of the tank, has never had a problem eating or pooping normally, I have plants between them and they cannot see each other, so stress shouldn't be an issue. Anything else I forgot to mention feel free to ask. I've tried feeding him in his home, as well as in a small tub. I'm going to pick up worms and crickets tomorrow to se if he will eat it, but at this rate, I'm not too sure that will help. Any other suggestions? This guy is so cool looking, I don't want to lose him.
    Sounds like a bacterial infection or parasites in the intestines. You'd better get him to a vet immediately. He will need to be dewormed and given antibiotics. If its this far I don't believe any at home treatment will work. I'm sorry but this may be his only hope.

Nationality
    [United States]

You can try and gently force feed him. Use a clean credit card or other smooth thin safe object that won't hurt him to gently pry his mouth open and slide his food in.

He might be stressed. You can try covering three sides to make him feel secure. It often helps.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Do as Heather said and force feed him. It will take a few tries so don't get frustrated. It won't hurt to get some food in him. Be sure you dust the food because he is going to need the vitamines.

k0cky

I will try that with a couple of the freshly molted doobs. If his poop doesn't change in a couple days then off to the vet's we go... Curse you petco!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by k0cky View Post
    I will try that with a couple of the freshly molted doobs. If his poop doesn't change in a couple days then off to the vet's we go... Curse you petco!
    I hope he recovers. Keep us posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

Good luck!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

k0cky

Thanks everyone for the amazingly quick responses and positive tips. I've dusted 2 doobs and am now letting him rest, he's got cover on 2/4 sides of the tank, i'll put something up on the 3rd side and try again tomorrow night.

Nationality
    [United States]

Force feeding could keep your frog alive; but probably will need a visit to veterinary & medications to get better. Also, if there is an internal pathogen, the probability that the other frog could get it is high. Good luck!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Thread Information