Thread: ACF On The Side of The Tank?

xofroggyloveox

Default ACF On The Side of The Tank?

I bought my baby ACF yesterday, and he is constantly climbing to the side of the tank outside the water and staying there. I know they are escape artists and I made sure the lid was secure, but he doesn't seem to be trying to escape, because of the fact that he stays in one position thats not too close to the top of the tank. I have been nudging him down with a net, because I began to get worried about dehydration and today I went out for a few hours, when I returned home he was on the side and appeared very dry, when I nudged him back in he seemed fine, but I'm getting worried about him dying if he continues to do this. Is this normal behavior for ACF adjusting to a new tank?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: ACF On The Side of The Tank?

Babies can pull their weight up the glass easier than adults - - what is concerning me is that they usually don't do this unless there is something wrong with their water....

How big is the tank? When was it set up and how did you treat the water when you set it up? Is there a filter? Do you have a liquid test kit to test the water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? <-- Very important, read up on the Nirtogen cycle in aquariums, it applies to both fish and aquatic amphibians.
    What is the temperature of the tank?
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

xofroggyloveox

Sadly, I found him dead when I came home today. I feel terrible about not addressing this problem sooner. He was in a 5 gallon tank (I was going to buy him a 10 gallon today and start cycling it) with a heater at about 75 degrees, and a filter. The tank has been successfully running for over a year. I tested the water today, and everything appeared normal (at least to the instructions in the kit it was considered normal). Unfortunately, he had previously been dyed green, and I know that the dye damages frogs and weakens their immune system. They were also being fed fish flakes only at the pet store, which I'm guessing would have caused their health to decline. I would have thought the death was because of that, but does anything sound abnormal about the water? Also, I did a 10% water change last night. I treated the water of course, but could that have had something to do with it?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

aw, i dont know enough to help with the why's....but i'm sorry for your loss poor little thing.

En333

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss... That's sad...

xofroggyloveox

Thank you.

Thread Information