Thread: Red Eyed Tree Frog Sleeping Through Night

C Rae

Default Red Eyed Tree Frog Sleeping Through Night

Hi All! I'm somewhat new to the frog world, and have a few questions regarding my new red eyed tree frogs er...frog. I had two originally but the female died three days after she arrived at my home. She came with an infected cut on her nose, and I was unable to contact a veterinarian and administer treatment in time. The male looks great though. He seems to be a good weight, and has been quite active until recently. Last night was the first night I've seen him sleep thorough since I got him. Could this be because he's still adjusting to his new home? I've been feeding medium to small sized gut loaded crickets. It's hard to tell if he's been eating any though. Most of them are gone, so I can only assume they are either hiding, or were eaten.

My vivarium is a 25 tall with a screen top and aquarium fluorescent light. the back wall is painted black. I also have a red heat lamp just incase it gets cold. I have it set up with a four inch deep drainage layer which feeds a small waterfall and pond. The gravel layer is covered with coco husk, and I stuffed as many live plants in there as would fit. I've yet to get a hygrometer, but I'm fairly certain the humidity is within safe limits.

Anywho, I'm hoping the little guy is just adjusting and not getting sick or anything. I would hate to lose both of them after having spent as much as I did on them.

Thanks,
    Candice

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Red Eyed Tree Frog Sleeping Through Night

ive noticed they can be pretty lazy at times, I've even had one that slept all day in the cricket bowl until I scooted him outta there. The ckicket bowl methode is probably the best way to keep track of your frogs feeding. I just use a small cereal or dessert bowl with the crickets in there it keeps them usually from escaping and makes hunting easier for the frog. Also I don't have to be picking dead crickets out of the substrate.
    don't mess with my frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I agree that using a cricket bowl is a great way to monitor feeding and reduce the number of crickets roaming the viv to just escape or die since they hide under anything.

I would get a hydrometer to monitor humidity and check a few at the store and pick on that is reading similar to many others. They are not the most accurate things. You don't wait to have too much humidity and too little.

My Red Eyes sleep all day and roam the tank at night, but sometimes not for very long or they find a nice leaf to lay out on and seem to go back to sleep. They are always back at their normal sleeping spots by morning though. Some nights they only move to a new spot to sleep.

frognerd101

I have noticed with these species and other similar species, like the Yellow Eyed Tree Frog, Black Eyed Tree Frog and Clown frog that they will often sleep through the night after a heavy feeding, probably because they have to take the time to digest their food. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you see him sleeping through the night for more than a week. However, this may also be due to the fact that you just introduced him into your tank, so it is best to leave him be unless it progresses for weeks.

C Rae

Thanks guys. I asked the frog guy at my local pet store, and he told me the same. I just started the bowl feeding method, so hopefully he'll figure it out soon. I put a couple of slices of carrot in with them to keep them well fed till they are eaten. I got a hydrometer and a thermometer today, and they are reading 72 F and 70 on the hydrometer. I also traded the red heat lamp for a blue 75 watt one. it's not as bright, but it produces more heat. He woke up just before lights off tonight, so I guess I was just over reacting. Thanks for the reassurance, everyone. I guess I can name him now that I know he isn't going to croak over night! (no pun intended)
    By the way, I read that they do better in small groups. Should I get him a new friend, or will he be happier by himself?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I started with one and found that when i added a second, the first became more active. I use no night lighting since my room is usually about 70 at night.

frognerd101

They may do good in groups, but I have been keeping my adult by himself for over a year and he still behaves normally

I've always heard that they're a social bunch. So personally, I'd get another one.

I have 3, and I love listening to them "talk" at night.

Thread Information