Thread: HELP with gray tree frog

hyla

Unhappy HELP with gray tree frog

I have noticed my wild caught tree frog has been staying put the last few weeks. Every night around 9pm she would come out and climb and hunt and her appetite was voracious. Now she comes out only once or twice a week and eats only small amounts. The rest of the time she stays in the corner sleeping. I don't know if her internal clock is telling her she should be hibernating by now since she is wild caught or if something else could be going on. Her appearance hasnt changed, but she does seem thinner. I know a vet is the only way to find out for sure what her deal is but I am hoping it could be something simple as I have never owned a herp before. Her enclosure is rather basic, and i dont have any temp monitoring equipment. Please any suggestions would be appreciated. She is out and about now but wont eat. She is busy trying to attack her own reflection in the aquarium which she seems to do a lot.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: HELP with gray tree frog

She may be bored of the food you're offering - if she's going after her own reflection it's probably because she thinks it's food. Kurt would tell you to have a vet treat her for parasites too.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

Default Re: HELP with gray tree frog

First of all, a vet visit is in order, but you knew I was going to say that. What may be happening is the frog could be dealing with a heavy parasite load, have a respiratory infection, or a number of other problems. If this was a hibernating issue, it wouldn't eating at all. If it were hibernating, it would need to be cooled, so it won't waste away by consuming itself.

Thread Information