Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EMERGENCY: African Bullfrog Dying?

Peachy

Default Re: EMERGENCY: African Bullfrog Dying?

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    There seem to be multiple species of pixie frog all mushed into the "dwarf african bullfrog" label.

The frog likes it at around 75 day and 68 or so night. Any hotter and he starts to bury its self.

The frog likes water, it will spend all its time in water if the temperature is too hot.

The frog estivate quickly and stay that way for much longer then my South African species.

Feel free to PM me if you have further questions. I have kept my guy alive for 2 years now.
    true, i have been fooled once before but my "dwarf" pixie was the shiz. had an appetite like a fat boy. i would say you're about spot on with the temps cause mine behaved the same way

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The frog is not stunted, its not an Adspersus so his size is fine. I also doubt it has MDB, thats jumping the gun completely. I have never once dusted any of the food items I offered my frogs. between rodents, worms, roaches, insects they will have already recieved all the nutrition ie. calcium they need.
    He said it can't WALK so while everyone is fighting over what species it is, the frog still can't walk and which means it can't feed. 3 weeks is also too long for them to not eat in correct temps without estivation and the body working at normal metabolism. The temps did not impare its ability to walk nor did the breed of pyxie. So how is this helping with the problem at hand.

Peachy

relax

Nationality
    [United States]

The frog is not stunted, its not an Adspersus so his size is fine. I also doubt it has MDB, thats jumping the gun completely. I have never once dusted any of the food items I offered my frogs. between rodents, worms, roaches, insects they will have already recieved all the nutrition ie. calcium they need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    relax
    I'm relaxed. I'm stating the facts. Also without dusting with vitamin D3 or having a UVB light to produce Vitamin D3 naturally they cant metabolize the calcium received from their food properly. They MUST have D3 in which these are the only 2 ways they receive it. And without it they usually contract MBD from not being able to properly metabolize the cacium and therfore it passes on through their system and they don keep hardly any of it. Not being able to walk is one of the signs of MBD and since he has never dust the frogs food even as a froglet then this is a high probability. I'm not angry I'm just trying to save its life.

Malachi

Well its not stunted. Its a smaller sized species. That is where species is important.

I am willing to help but we need more info perhaps the OP will PM me so i can try to get to the bottom of this.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Well its not stunted. Its a smaller sized species. That is where species is important.

I am willing to help but we need more info perhaps the OP will PM me so i can try to get to the bottom of this.
    I hope you can help too since you have the experiance with this species.

Malachi

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I do not own a Pyxie nor am I and expert. If you suspect impaction which is quite possible when feeding rodents. A lot of the time they become constipated due to amphibians having trouble digesting mammalian tissues. This is not a medical treatment but a way to help the frog pass the rodent. Prepare a soak of De-chlorinated water luke warm to warm. Around 80 degrees. Disolve 2 to 4 drops of honey in the water. Be sure the water is no deeper than up to your frogs chin.

Also I would try night crawlers or Hornworms as another food item. Much easier for your frog to digest. If he doesn't eat soon you will have to force feed. If you need help with this just ask and we will be happy to help. Try the soak and keep us posted.
    Will out direct communication for more info this is what needs to done. However if frog cant walk its gotten pretty bad. You need to take action right away.

Mikey

I'm relaxed. I'm stating the facts. Also without dusting with vitamin D3 or having a UVB light to produce Vitamin D3 naturally they cant metabolize the calcium received from their food properly. They MUST have D3 in which these are the only 2 ways they receive it. And without it they usually contract MBD from not being able to properly metabolize the cacium and therfore it passes on through their system and they don keep hardly any of it. Not being able to walk is one of the signs of MBD and since he has never dust the frogs food even as a froglet then this is a high probability. I'm not angry I'm just trying to save its life.
    Calcium metabolism in pixies and pacman is much similar to that of snakes. They do not require UVB or the addition of D3 calcium suppliment. If you were talking about bearded dragons, you would be correct.

That being said my pyxies were grown to complete full size with no issues whatsoever within rack systems. With the only light provided being the flourescent light that lights the room. They require no UVB. Not sure where you came across different.

Quote Originally Posted by jjchance View Post
    I have a 6 m/o African Bullfrog and he/she is in a 40 gallon tank with a 50 watt infrared bulb on 24/7. He is about the size of a small deck of cards. His tank is about 75f. The humidity is in the 80%. He usually eats superworms, small crickets, and once every couple of months, a pinkie mouse. I believe he at only one small cricket the other day. Since then he hasn't eaten for weeks. I really do not know if he has pooped or not. I use coconut fiber as a substrate that is moist. He has a huge water dish. I am hoping to post pictures, so if you could also tell me how to do that. That would be great. I spray him constantly. He hasn't been eating and it appears that his skin is peeling off. Today I was trying to see if he could still hop around and he cannot walk. He falls over and can't get up. Help! Please! I am begging you. I love him. If there is nothing I can do about it, what can I do to at least make him comfortable? Thank you so so much!
    Take him to a vet, simple. If he hasn't eaten that long and isn't moving much he needs medical care! Don't wait any longer!

My 15 year old White's Tree Frog Hetfield (RIP 1996-June 4, 2012) and my little girl Lucy

Nationality
    [United States]

Calcium metabolism in pixies and pacman is much similar to that of snakes. They do not require UVB or the addition of D3 calcium suppliment. If you were talking about bearded dragons, you would be correct.

That being said my pyxies were grown to complete full size with no issues whatsoever within rack systems. With the only light provided being the flourescent light that lights the room. They require no UVB. Not sure where you came across different.
    Nowhere did I say they require UVB lights. UVB radiation is what causes the body to produce Vitamin D3 naturally. That's why I mentioned it. Also they do require the addition of Calcium with D3. Where do you get your info. Pacmans especially. They don't naturally produce D3 without or atleast not enough without a supplement or UVB rays which are also contained in natural sunlight. They benefit from 4 to 6 hours a day of UVB but the problem is that UVB lights are almost always too bright. For Pacmans ofcourse since they live on the forest floor. Pyxies in the wild probably receive tons or D3 since they do occationally come out in the sun. Its risky to not provide a calcium supplement.

Mikey

Nowhere did I say they require UVB lights. UVB radiation is what causes the body to produce Vitamin D3 naturally. That's why I mentioned it. Also they do require the addition of Calcium with D3. Where do you get your info. Pacmans especially. They don't naturally produce D3 without or atleast not enough without a supplement or UVB rays which are also contained in natural sunlight. They benefit from 4 to 6 hours a day of UVB but the problem is that UVB lights are almost always too bright. For Pacmans ofcourse since they live on the forest floor. Pyxies in the wild probably receive tons or D3 since they do occationally come out in the sun. Its risky to not provide a calcium supplement.
    "Supplements: A varied diet should not require supplementation but there is probably no harm in providing vitamin and mineral supplements occasionally" - African Bullfrog - Pyxicephalus adspersus - Care and Breeding

Not really sure this is even helping the thread at this point, but if the above doesnt prove that suppliments are much more optional than required, personal experience. I have currently 18 C. cranwelli, 8 Fantasy, and 14 Pixies. None of which have ever recieved suppliments or additional lighting of any sort. They have grown to full adult size in sweater box style rack systems over the years.

"They benefit from 4 to 6 hours a day of UVB but the problem is that UVB lights are almost always too bright. For Pacmans ofcourse since they live on the forest floor"

I also have boa constrictors for much longer than I have owned frogs. My boa's are almost neve exposed to any light whatsoever. Yet they grow, feed, and reproduce with no added suppliments. Boa constrictors are exposed to a lot of sunlight in the wild yet reproduce just fine in captivity.

My point is suppliment D3 is similar to Multivitamins for people. You use some of it, but most of it you pee out

Mikey

Grif,

Absolutely not trying to argue with you by the way. Very cool that you are as knowledgable as you are.

Nationality
    [United States]

Grif,

Absolutely not trying to argue with you by the way. Very cool that you are as knowledgable as you are.
    Me either and yeah at this point its not helping. It pays to do your research. We should be more constructive and combine knowledge to help rather than debating care ideas and info.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by BlueisallIneed View Post
    Take him to a vet, simple. If he hasn't eaten that long and isn't moving much he needs medical care! Don't wait any longer!
    Agree!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [France]

Be careful with vitamins for frogs (Confirmed by my vet, one of the best in France for exotic pets).
    Too much vitamins could damage its digestive system and make it very ill.

Calcium is very important (At least powder on 2 or 3 preys per week) + vit D3 on 1 or 2 preys (Insects in order not to give too much) per month.

But personally, as you "Love him", you should go to a vet.
    Last edited by GRABibus; December 30th, 2011 at 07:04 AM.
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

jjchance

Unhappy Re: EMERGENCY: African Bullfrog Dying?

Thank you everybody for your help. Unfortunately Baby died last night after all. I tried everything you said. He died comfortably due to the help you gave me. Thanks again.

Nationality
    [France]

Sorry for you...
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Nationality
    [United States]

I'm so sorry for your loss. I really wish there was more we could have done to help.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry for your frog's death.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

I am sorry to hear about your frog.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information