Thread: Christmas frog surprise

Taxi

Default Christmas frog surprise

Hello everyone! I have always loved frogs, but I always thought, "later, I'll get one later". My sister-in-law, who is from Venezuela, mentioned that her father had several pet tree frogs, and I told her I was jealous--but little did I know that she would go on to get me a baby red-eyed tree frog for Christmas! Now I am absolutely petrified that I will fail with this adorable little guy, so I'm really going to appreciate everyone's help. Thanks in advance for your advice and patience!

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Christmas frog surprise

Welcome to the forum Taxi. You have come to the right place. I would check out the Red eyed tree frog care article first. See top under care articles. There are plenty of members who own this frog so feel free to ask questions. I will be looking out for photo's of your little guy :-).

frognerd101

Default Re: Christmas frog surprise

Hello and welcome to the forum. It's great that you came to this forum to get information on these frogs. There are lots of care articles on this forum on the red eyed tree frog.

I have been keeping my red eyed tree frog for over a year now, and their care is rather simple. A 10 gallon vertical tank works great for 1, but you should purchase a 20 gallon is you have more than 1 specimen. The substrate should be moss or coconut fiber. Paper towels are okay temporarily, but be sure to change them frequently. Tree frogs need lots of branches to climb on, and red eyed tree frogs will do best with a few live plants, but fake plants will do okay as well. Temperature needs to be between 70-80 degrees, and it can be a little bit cooler at night, but not below 67-68 degrees. Feed them crickets according to the size of your specimen. If they are babies, feed them pinhead crickets. If they are older or full grown, you can feed them larger crickets and mealworms in a bowl. Use a full spectrum UVB bulb made for reptiles and amphibians to light the tank during the day.

Good luck with your frog. I look forward to seeing pictures of your red eyed tree frog.

Thread Information