Thread: Question about moving a PCF into a Vivarium

digemfrog

Default Question about moving a PCF into a Vivarium

My brother and I have decided (at my urging) to move his female PCF into a vivarium. He rescued her while at college up north, and he and his gf took care of her for about 3 months. When they moved back down here to Los Angeles 8 months ago they took her with them, so she is pretty far away from any other PCF's. Anyways, I have been taking care of her mostly. I'm too busy at work to cut off new tree branches and clean water everyday, so I urged him to buy a bigger tank, water filtration, and new plants so we can construct a vivarium

What we did was purchase a bigger 29 gal tank for her (she lives in a 10 gal right now) and aquarium gravel, moss, and a TetraFauna waterfall/filter and a ton of coconut fiber substrate. Here are my questions:

1. Is the tank size sufficient? It is longer and taller than the old tank but we are separating it into thirds, with 1/3rd being a filtered pond for her

2. If it is big enough, could we add another frog? As I said earlier, we are unable to get another PCF to place in there but we were hoping to place a female White's Tree frog, so that there wouldn't be any breeding but some more activity in the vivarium. I have read many posts here advising against it with other types of species like FBT's and Pacmans and whatnot but didn't know if it was safe for these two, which seem more docile

3. The page on the PCF states that they need no sunlight. I am wondering if the live terrarium plants they sell at Petco need sunlight-if so, how do I go about making sure that the plants get sufficient sunlight but the frog doesn't get too much sunlight?

4. Lastly, when I place live plants in the Vivarium, can I plant the plants directly into the substrate or do I need to mix the substrate with fertilizer? I have looked this one up and there seems to be a lot of info saying it'd work either way. I just want to do it correctly, and buy once cry once on this thing.

To anyone that has made it through this long post, I thank you. And I thank you for any help you can give a new guy like myself. For anyone that didn't read it and just looked at the end, I totally understand!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

En333

Umm I don't have any answers to your questions, but I don't thing WTFs and PMFs or whatever should be together..... Sorry.

frognerd101

Default Re: Question about moving a PCF into a Vivarium

I am sorry if I am no help, because I have never kept your species of frog before, but I have kept other similar species.

1. Your tank size and setup seem perfect for your frog.

2. I strongly recommend that you do not mix species in with each other. Whites tree frogs and pacmans are known to eat anything they can fit into their mouths, and pacmans are especially notorious for eating anything that moves, even their own kind. If you want another frog, you should purchase a specimen that is native to the same area as the frog and one that is about the same size as the frog. Also, purchase one with the same heating, lighting and water requirements.

3. Just because they say that they need no sunlight does not mean that light will hurt them. Try a low output UVB bulb made for reptiles and amphibians. I have mine for a red eyed tree frog. These lights actually help bone structure in reptiles and amphibians, and promote feeding and nocturnal activities in your tree frog. They also stimulate plant growth in your vivarium.

4. Plants can be planted directly into your substrate if you have a substrate that has the proper nutrients. I have noticed that coconut fiber or plantation soil will promote plant growth. I strongly caution the use of fertilizer because there are many types that can hurt amphibians, but if you can find a brand that is safe for animals, then that is a great thing to use in your vivarium.

Good luck with your frog. I look forward to seeing some pics of him and the vivarium.

digemfrog

Default Re: Question about moving a PCF into a Vivarium

Thanks for the help, I won't add any other frogs unless we find another young PCF. I didn't want to add a pacman frog, I was just using it as an example (from what I have read) of a bad combo. But I DID want to add the White's, but from what you guys say, I can see it being a bad idea, so I won't do that.

I also wont add fertilizer since it seems the cocofiber should suffice. Thanks for that! I'll look into bulbs

Thread Information