Thread: very new pacman owner

Killer Kyle 41

Default very new pacman owner

i just bought a pacman today and im already worried that i can't keep the humidty up or the temp and i'm using a heating pad and some of the substrate is kinda cold. I just need some advice from a veteran of pacmans. any tip or tricks would be great

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Spedly4life

Default Re: very new pacman owner

What type of top do you have on your terrarium? If your having trouble keeping humidity up, you can partially cover your top to hold in extra heat and humidity. Also what type of bedding are you using

Killer Kyle 41

its a screen top. and the bedding is called eco earth, i had to soak it in water , because it is suppose to expand well the water was cold and i thought the bedding would warm up over time but some of it is still cold.

Spedly4life

You can use glass or something like that to try to cover the top and hold in some heat, also mist your frog with warm water, but nothing warm enough to burn your frog. But hopefully some other more experienced people chime in, I am fairly new to this to, but these are some tricks I have learned. Hopefully this helps you

Killer Kyle 41

thank you! it does help. i just found out about pacman frogs a week ago and i was hooked and im trying to be a good owner and if u or somebody you know have anymore hints or advice im willing to hear it lol

Spedly4life

No problem, here to help, if you havent read the pacman care sheet, that is like the bible to keeping pacmans, anything and everything is in there, i would recommend reading it... best of luck, we would all enjoy seeing pics of your little guy

Killer Kyle 41

will do lol

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Be sure you de-chlorinate your frogs water. Also you heat pad or (UTH) needs to be placed on the side of the enclosure not the bottom. These are burrowing frogs. They burrow to cool off and hide. They won't understand why they can't cool down if the burrow over the heat pad. You can cover 1/3 or 3/4 of your screen top with plastic wrap in a pinch. You can also use a heat lamp that has a dimmer switch. You need to use incandescent bulbs or infrared. No less than 25 watts and no more than 50 watts. The lamp with a dimmer switch allows you to control the amount of light and heat coming from the bulb. The lamp will burn off humidity so you will mist a little more often. Buy a fake plant so the frog can use it for shade if it wants to. Also when using a lamp and covering the screen top with plastic wrap don't place the lamp over the plastic wrap. Could melt the plastic. Place the UTH on the side opposite the water dish to allow for a temp gradient within the enclosure.

No fluorescent bulbs. They are too bright and don't put off much heat. Place your humidity and temp gauges on the back wall in side the enclosure about 1 1/2 to 2 inches above the substrate. Be sure they are centered in the enclosure for a better reading. They substrate must be moist not mud. Any more questions you need answered after you read the Pacman Care Sheet just ask. Welcome to the forum.

10. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Killer Kyle 41

i have a heat pad on the side right now but im having trouble keeping the temperate up in the tank i started to cover up some of the lid/ and i have been de-chlorinating the water. Thanks for the help!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Kyle 41 View Post
    i have a heat pad on the side right now but im having trouble keeping the temperate up in the tank i started to cover up some of the lid/ and i have been de-chlorinating the water. Thanks for the help!
    Good. You may have to buy a heat lamp like I said to help with your heat problem. Also to help you could keep the frog in the warmest room in the house or purchas a space heater to help heat the room the frog is in. It is also possible to double up on UTHs you could put 2 on the tank. Place one on the back of the tank on the same end your other one is. Covering the top 1/3 or 3/4 of the way and providing another heat source is you best bet right now. Poke holes in the plastic wrap so there is extra air ventilation. Try a heat lamp they work well and are not harmful unless not used properly. Meaning with a bulb that's wattage is higher than I stated above.

Take this advice and keep us posted. Also to make your frog feel more secure cover 3 sides of the tank with a background. Something natural or just dark. Since you have a UTH on one side you will only need to cover 2. Keep us posted.

13. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Killer Kyle 41

oks thanks. i have covered up some of the top and it has helped alot thanks for the help

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Kyle 41 View Post
    oks thanks. i have covered up some of the top and it has helped alot thanks for the help
    No problem. You're on your way to having a very fulfilling pet and they are very fun. Quite enjoyable.

Killer Kyle 41

Thanks! im trying hard and im still learning!

Nationality
    [United States]

Did you read this? Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding Lot's of good info on it!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

18. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Killer Kyle 41

actually yes lol i saved it as a bookmark on my computer

Thread Information