Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacman Frog is puffed large and hasn't stopped for 3 days

Erdrick

Default Pacman Frog is puffed large and hasn't stopped for 3 days

Ok, I changed the glass case I have my Pacman frog in and put in fresh mulch recently. I have a bowl of his water and misted him real good. Been doing that for a few days and I've noticed he's really enlarged, puffed out to the brim it seems, and has stayed like that for almost 3 days.

Can someone explain to me if this is normal or if something is wrong?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pacman Frog is puffed large and hasn't stopped for 3 days

you need to post some photos. They look really fat if its water weight. What do you mean by MULCH? These frogs need to be kept on coconut fiber substrate. Wood chips and any type of moss/bark/sand/stones is very bad if you feed the frog in its enclosure. Eco Earth/Bed-A-Beast/and plantation soil are the substrates you should be using. If your frog eats any mulch or wood chips it could become impacted and die. If its just water weight you're fine. Bloat on the other hand is bad and can result in death. Place your frog in some warm water. Luke warm is best. Make sure you are de-chlorinating your water. The chemicals in tap water are poison to the frog and you must use a water conditioner. Make sure the water is no deeper than up to the frogs chin. Soak the frog for 5 to 10 minutes. Be sure to wash your hands very well before and after handling your frog. If its water weight then your frog should urinate in the water and reduce in size. Keep us posted.

Erdrick

Just checked the bag, it is coconut fiber. My wife got him as a gift for me and she called it "mulch" and I just ended up getting stuck calling it that. She talked to the pet store owners and they didn't say tap water was poisonous to them. I've been using tap for quite some time now. I don't have a water conditioner, can I simply boil it to sterilize it and wait for it to cool down?

Erdrick

Well I put him in sterilized luke warm water. Watched him for about 10 minutes. He did a little bit of something, but not much, and the swelling doesn't look like it's gone down much either. I'll try and get a picture, but picture a pacman frog bloated on each its left and right side, almost like he's going to pop.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Erdrick View Post
    ... I've been using tap for quite some time now. I don't have a water conditioner, can I simply boil it to sterilize it and wait for it to cool down?
    Water conditioner removes chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals from tap water. If can't find one for amphibians/reptiles; fish water conditioners work fine too.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Boiling does not remove amonia and chloromines nor does it remove heavy metals. Your frog will die if you continue to not use a water conditioner to de-chlorinate your water. You can also use real spring water but like I said it has to come from an actual spring and not be purified water which is sometimes passed off as spring water. Post pics and feel the frogs sides. Are they hard or soft? Does it feel like air or fluid? Keep us posted.

Erdrick

It feels soft and airy. Problem with pics is I don't have a digital cam nor does my phone allow posting pics online. I may have to use my Flip video and send a video link.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sounds like your frog may be bloated. You'd better start de-chlorinating your water imediately.

IvoryReptiles

Grif is correct. You are killing the frog by using straight tap water. If nothing else, fill a jug, bottle, pitcher with tap water and let it sit for 48 hours.....this will at least allow the chlorine to evaporate.....this method will do for a day or two until you can get your hands on some water conditioner. Do NOT use distilled water, because it will do the opposite and suck your frogs dry of all the nutrients it needs to survive.

We use Prime as a water treatment for all of our reptiles & amphibians. Pretty much any of the ones available at PetCo, Petsmart or even Walmart will work.

Your frog is showing signs of Toxemia, it is fatal if not corrected. Good Luck and please keep us posted!!

Erdrick

Ok, I got that water conditioner stuff and replaced his water and have been spraying him with conditioned water now. However, it's been a few days and he is still bloated. But not as much as before and, in fact, one side kinda has a "deflated" appearance.

So what do I do now? I'm not sure if he is even eating.

Nationality
    [United States]

Have you found any food item in with him/her? Does he/she seem active and alert? Are the eyes clear or foggy?

Nationality
    [United States]

Which side of of the frog is deflated? Try feeding night crawlers. How large is your frog?

Erdrick

His right side seems deflated. I have crickets in there, as of now, they appear to have been eaten by him since I no longer see them in there. He's not active at all, and the eyes are closed most of the time, but when I do see them open I don't see fogginess.

Nationality
    [United States]

Crickets will burrow into the substrate most of the time if uneaten. I believe your frog needs to see a vet. I think due to you using tap water that was not treated and de-chlorinated for such a long time has finaly taken its tole on your frog. You could try and soak your frog in some warm water with a little epson salt not very much maybe a quarter of a tea spoon or less in the water. Your frog is very ill. I really REALLY suggest taking him /her to a vet now. There isn't really anymore you can do until you find out exactly what is making your frog ill. If you wait any longer it may be too late. Far to many people wait until there frog is already on its death bed before taking it to a vet. Don't make the same mistake. Take him/her to a vet and let us know what is wrong.

Erdrick

There's not a thick amount of substrate in there for the crickets to burrow under. But I see, it seems I must take him to a vet then

Nationality
    [United States]

There's not a thick amount of substrate in there for the crickets to burrow under. But I see, it seems I must take him to a vet then
    I'm sorry more can't be done. Tthis is the best choice. You need to figure out what's wrong and get him/her taken care of. I hope all will go well. Keep us posted.

Erdrick

Ok, recently, the swelling has drastically decreased. In fact, he was 90% back to normal.

However, just yesterday, he suddenly swelled drastically large again. This time it's only on his left side. Is this the same issue or is it something else?

Nationality
    [United States]

Ok, recently, the swelling has drastically decreased. In fact, he was 90% back to normal.

However, just yesterday, he suddenly swelled drastically large again. This time it's only on his left side. Is this the same issue or is it something else?
    Are you .isting with de-chlorinated water as well as his soaking dish and the water you expand his substrate with? I thaught you were going to take him to the vet like you were advised to do. Without photos we can't tell. If the swelling went down and now is back again then the issue has not stopped and if it is bloat from toxicity then he needs all new clean substrate that is moist not mud like the first photos you showed us. The substrate needs to be prepared with de-chlorinated warm water. Everything needs to be prepared with de-chlorinated water. Is he still acting the same. To be sure whether he eats or not pehaps you should tong feed him. Without a vet he may die. We can only advise from here and aren't there to look your frog over. We need photos from above /left side/right side/back/front/ so we can see what his condition looks like. I still believe a vet visit is needed.

Nationality
    [United States]

Are you .isting with de-chlorinated water as well as his soaking dish and the water you expand his substrate with? I thaught you were going to take him to the vet like you were advised to do. Without photos we can't tell. If the swelling went down and now is back again then the issue has not stopped and if it is bloat from toxicity then he needs all new clean substrate that is moist not mud like the first photos you showed us. The substrate needs to be prepared with de-chlorinated warm water. Everything needs to be prepared with de-chlorinated water. Is he still acting the same. To be sure whether he eats or not pehaps you should tong feed him. Without a vet he may die. We can only advise from here and aren't there to look your frog over. We need photos from above /left side/right side/back/front/ so we can see what his condition looks like. I still believe a vet visit is needed. Most people wait too long and its too late by the time they seek treatment for there frogs.

Erdrick

Everything was prepared with the dechlorinated water. That was when I noticed the change. His swelling went down so drastically, I didn't see the point of taking him to the vet anymore. But suddenly it happened again just a couple of days ago. I believe he is eating.

I will try and get photos soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information