Thread: Substrate temperature

Amphibious

Default Substrate temperature

I'm sorry if this should go in the enclosure section, but I want the answer as it pertains to Pacman frogs. I use a light as an extra heat source. After being on all day much of the substrate surface is pretty warm to the touch. Is this a problem? The overall temperature never reads too high.
    Last edited by Amphibious; December 18th, 2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: typo

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Substrate temperature

This is one for Grif!

Nationality
    [United States]

How many watts is the bulb you're using?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    I'm sorry if this should go in the enclosure section, but I want the answer as it pertains to Pacman frogs. I use a light as an extra heat source. After being on all day much of the substrate surface is pretty warm to the touch. Is this a problem? The overall temperature never reads too high.
    I need to know how many watts your bulb is and what type of bulb? Basking UVA/infrared/daylight blue full spectrum? How high are the daytime temps in your enclosure? Does the surface feel hot enough to burn you or your frog? The substrate will feel warm usually after the bulbs been on all day but shouldn't be hot enough to harm your frog. Of your light causes the substrate to be that hot you need to find a way to keep heat in without using the bulb at full strength. Covering 1/3 or 3/4 of your screen top will help to hold heat and humidity in so your bulb doesn't have to be up so high. Do you use a lamp with a dimmer switch? If not you should. You can adjust the amount of light and heat prduced by the bulb. Also when using lights I always recommend using some kind of plant cover for shade and security. I've never had my substrate be hot to the touch while using heat lamps.

Amphibious

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    I need to know how many watts your bulb is and what type of bulb? Basking UVA/infrared/daylight blue full spectrum? How high are the daytime temps in your enclosure? Does the surface feel hot enough to burn you or your frog? The substrate will feel warm usually after the bulbs been on all day but shouldn't be hot enough to harm your frog. Of your light causes the substrate to be that hot you need to find a way to keep heat in without using the bulb at full strength. Covering 1/3 or 3/4 of your screen top will help to hold heat and humidity in so your bulb doesn't have to be up so high. Do you use a lamp with a dimmer switch? If not you should. You can adjust the amount of light and heat prduced by the bulb. Also when using lights I always recommend using some kind of plant cover for shade and security. I've never had my substrate be hot to the touch while using heat lamps.
    The bulb is a 60 watt. I know this is a bit over the maximum but it was the only one I could find at the pet shop, and without it the enclosure is dangerously cool. I weighed out the pros and cons. As soon as I find a 50 watt I'll use that. I use a full spectrum blue bulb during the day and a red bulb at night. It does have a dimmer. The substrate wasn't hot. It was just warm. I don't know how far the heat penetrated.

Nationality
    [United States]

The bulb is a 60 watt. I know this is a bit over the maximum but it was the only one I could find at the pet shop, and without it the enclosure is dangerously cool. I weighed out the pros and cons. As soon as I find a 50 watt I'll use that. I use a full spectrum blue bulb during the day and a red bulb at night. It does have a dimmer. The substrate wasn't hot. It was just warm. I don't know how far the heat penetrated.
    How deep is the substrate? 60 watts in a full spectrum bulb is pretty hot and bright. Warm isn't bad. Think of the sun warming the earth. You should be fine as long as it actually doent get hot. Check the temp with a glass thermometer of the tube kind or even the oral electric ones. See exactly how warm it is and how far it penetrates. Also when you mist it cools the air and the substrate for a short time as well. See how warm it is. You have a temp gradient in the tank don't you? I assume you do so if your frog gets too warm he/she will go and cool off.

Amphibious

Yeah it is. I mean to get a less powerful bulb, but neither bulb seems to be causing problems. Plus the inside of the tank has to remain about 20 degrees warmer than the house. There is a temp gradient and shade, so I guess it probably isn't an issue. I will check the substrate. Thanks!

Nationality
    [United States]

Yeah it is. I mean to get a less powerful bulb, but neither bulb seems to be causing problems. Plus the inside of the tank has to remain about 20 degrees warmer than the house. There is a temp gradient and shade, so I guess it probably isn't an issue. I will check the substrate. Thanks!
    Should be fine with the cover.

Thread Information