Thread: Male or female?

falconez

Default Male or female?

Hi folks,
    I've come in this "pac" section to introduce you Pisolo (in italian = "Sleepy" of the seven dwarfs),my wife's ornate frog.I will post then some pictures of the frog and its enclosure, but I'd like to ask you if he/she is a male or a female (if possible,of course ).I tried to fix some details of the anterior thumbs but the results are not the best,so...be patient
    Now he/she is 3 or 4 months old (I own he/she since October the 3rd as a froglet), and now is 2.4 ".P.S.,the little mice he/she's eating isn't obviously a stapled food,only once a month,eating mainly crickets and earthworms.

Name:  PC190309.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  55.2 KBName:  PC190315.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  51.1 KBName:  PC190319.JPG
Views: 149
Size:  25.1 KBName:  PC190326.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  40.1 KBName:  PC190312.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  51.0 KBName:  PC190318.JPG
Views: 131
Size:  10.5 KBName:  PC190320.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  18.5 KB

Thanks in advance for the answers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I would guess female.

Also, I'm not sure about those leaves you have on the substrate. I'm not sure if eaten will harm your frog or not. Perhaps someone on here will know more about that?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Male or female?

Nice setup this is what the frogs burrow in the wild so its safe to have leaf litter even doe it can be alot of work cleaning it
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

Nationality
    [United States]

Female. Are those rocks in the water dish? I would remove them just incase your frog accidentally grabbed one while trying to catch its prey. Very nice looking girl you have there.

EDIT) Even though its nice and has a very natural look. The leaf litter can be dangerouse if the frog eats any of it. They can't break down plant and vegetable material in their digstive system. Which is why moss causes impaction. If you're going to continue to feed your frog in its home it would be best to remove the leaf litter. Better safe than sorry.

Peachy

I'd say male. Looks like nuptial pads on the front foot, does it not?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    I'd say male. Looks like nuptial pads on the front foot, does it not?
    There is no spot on its thumb where they appear. The spot I see on the bottom pic is coming from the frogs belly behind the hand.

NicholasJeung

I would guess female and yeah you should take the leaf litter out, you don't wanna take any chances with her trust me!

-Nick

Nationality
    [United States]

How old is the frog? Nuptual pads don't appear on males until the reach sexual maturity which is anwhere from 8 months to a year. Males will usually call as well.

Peachy

Im probably wrong lol, the head looks more like a females head. Just a guess tho

IvoryReptiles

That is a female I do believe!
    I see no Nuptual pads at all and from what I can see the throat looks smooth & white.
    I don't think the leaf litter is a problem as long as you make sure she doesn't have free range food in the enclosure where she could possibly ingest it. The pebbles shouldn't be a problem for now either......they seem large enough not to be mistaken as a food item. Just make sure to replace them with larger rocks as she grows.

My opinions may not be popular, but really folks......who is in the wild removing rocks, leaves & moss for the frogs out there? Just use common sense and be vigilant and aware of your frogs behaviors & actions.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    That is a female I do believe!
    I see no Nuptual pads at all and from what I can see the throat looks smooth & white.
    I don't think the leaf litter is a problem as long as you make sure she doesn't have free range food in the enclosure where she could possibly ingest it. The pebbles shouldn't be a problem for now either......they seem large enough not to be mistaken as a food item. Just make sure to replace them with larger rocks as she grows.

My opinions may not be popular, but really folks......who is in the wild removing rocks, leaves & moss for the frogs out there? Just use common sense and be vigilant and aware of your frogs behaviors & actions.
    Just mantioned as a precaution. I like your opinions. You say waht you want to say and leave it at that. Your almost always right too. I don't know why anyone argues with you about care methods.

Eel Noob

I would guess female due to head structure.

Only thing I would add is to feed smaller size prey.

falconez

First of all,thanks a lot for your answers,really welcome.
    About leaves: I put them into the enclosure just two days ago because I wanted to recreate a setup that looked more similar to her wild and would fit better for her burrowing attitude and "sit and wait" behavior.
    After I put into her housing the fake plant you can see in the pic about 20 days ago,she immediately started to burrow really close to it and every time I moved the plant she would follow it as she really felt safe and hidden next to it,but I never saw her ingest any piece of leaf even if I feed her into the enclosure (and crickets too seem have fun with leaves).
    I also never saw her following a cricket into the water (I rather never saw her into the water!)and she never showed interested in pebbles into the water dish,but these could obviously be only circumstances...
    I agree with IvoryReptiles when he says that in the wild nobody's removing dangerous objects,but if there's a real risk for the frog,I'll remove leaves and rocks in a while.

Thread Information