Thread: Is this a prolapse??

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Is this a prolapse??

I'm wondering if this is a prolapse or a odd turd? Any help would be great.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    don't mess with my frogs

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Shanny

Default Re: Is this a prolapse??

Yep, sorry to say.. That's a prolapse. My red eye had one just this summer.
    What I did was quarantined him in a small 5 gallon critter keeper with damp paper towel and a small water dish. I sprinkled a pinch of sugar into his water dish, which had spring water in it. I did this in the meantime until I could go in and see a vet. The sugar in the water that he soaked in helped to bring the swelling of the prolapse down, sometimes it will go back in on it's own but in my case, my Bitty had it worse than your frog. More was hanging out so I, well he needed the help of the vet. It didn't help that Bitty kept flicking at the prolapse with his back legs.
    I brought him to vet and luckily they were able to push it back in and put a stitch in him to hold it since the muscle may tend to be weak for a little while after.
    Oh also, I did not feed my frog once I noticed the prolapse and continued not to feed him for a week after until the stitch was out.
    Things that cause this is crickets may have been too big for him. Another thing that could cause this is calcium or vitamin deficiency, so make sure you are dusting there food every second or third time you feed him.

Try the soak though, you may not need the help of a vet unless it gets worse. And make sure you quarantine too.
    Good luck, keep us updated

Nationality
    [Canada]

I tried pushing it back in with some water based lubricant and a Qtip but i couldn't get it back in and freaked her out in the process. I feel just aweful for her. There are no vets that specialize in herps her even though we have 1 of 2 vetrinary colleges in the country.
    don't mess with my frogs

Shanny

Well I would try the soak, it helped the swelling and redness go down in my situation. Your frogs does not look that bad. I'd just quarantine with water dish and leave him be and you may be surprised tomorrow
    You can look up the sugar water mixture online, that's how I found it. I didn't go by the measurement, I just added a very tiny pinch to the water dish.. Which was a small Tupperware container lid at the time because I didn't have an extra water dish, so it was quite shallow, but still my frog knew to dip his behind in there. I'm sure it felt a little better too. I didn't put any plants or decor in the hospital tank I made for him, just the towel and the dish, but if you want you could. I just figured he would soak more if he had less to climb on. And I was able to put the critter keeper into my frog terrarium, so he still had cover from the plants around his hospital tank and the heat and humidity of the terrarium.

Also, depending on what u use as substrate could have been the cause of this too if he accidentally swallowed some while hunting food.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks Shanny, I have her Quarentined with a water dish with a pinch of sugar. I feed small to med crickets and use a high calcium cricket gut load, dusting the cricket 5 nights with flukers calcium d3, and 2 nights with repti vit. The substrate is jungle mix and may have ingested some if she went after a cricket that escaped. I hope id din't make things worse by trying to push it in although I'm sure she is stressed iI'm hoping she settles down soon in the quarentine tank. I followed what you said and added some plants in there to help the stress of a new tank and handling her. Thanks for your help.

Fingers crossed
    Doug
    don't mess with my frogs

Shanny

Yeah, it's no problem. I just know how worried I was about my frog when it happened and il try and help anyone else out who may be going through the same thing. Haha I never understood or thought that I would love having frogs as pets just as much as cats and dogs, until I got these guys.. And some people make fun when you are excited about decorating there tank or making them a fogger, but whatever lol they just don't understand. I love my frogs in the same way I love and care for my cats and just the same as I would get help for my cats, I would do for my frogs if and when they need it.

She is probably fine, I'm sure she was freaked out by it but she will get better I'm sure if u just giver her a day or two.

I've added a pic I found of right after I took my frog to the vet. You can tell just by his colors that he was stressed out by the visit, but he soaked in the water and was fine after. Like I said, I didn't feed him for a week after this pic was taken, just to make sure it didn't happen again. And for that week I also kept him in his hospital tank.

This is a pic of Bitty that I actually took last night, because I added one of my baby frogs last night.. So I was in there checking on them periodically.

But as you can see he's all better
    I'm sure your frog will pull through

Nationality
    [Canada]

I just got off the phone with my sister-in-law who is a vet and they have a exotics dept. at the vet college and she suggested they same things you did and if she isn't better by Monday to give them a call when they open. Thanks alot Shanny for your help and I will let you know how things go. BTW great pic of the lttle guy moving in.
    don't mess with my frogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

Last night I checked on her and the prolapse had gone back in and this morning is still the same. I'm going to leave her quarentined for about a week but I'm wondering if I can start to give a very small cricket after a few days. I hate the thought of her going a week without food.
    don't mess with my frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I would feed her something softer like night crawlers for s bit until the area heals more.
    I believe Brian (UncleChester) had a good post on what he did for his after a prolapse.

Here is a link to that thread: http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prolapse.html

Here is a lessons learned Brian posted after the frog was complete healed: http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...ured-frog.html
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

11. This member thanks DonLisk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
    ... Things that cause this is crickets may have been too big for him...
    Thanks for noting this fact. My 4 in. ABF has no problem passing large crickets heads, but had noted while cleaning the water, they were basically in one piece and solid. I will remember this info for when I start with tree frogs next year and make sure crickets are right sized for them.

To Doug I wish his frog recovers fully and is healthy again.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Shanny

Aw good, I'm glad she's back to normal. Yeah I felt bad not feeding him so I tried giving him meal worms but he wouldn't eat them

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.926667,-93.081276

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks everyone!! I'm gonna try and hold off for a week and then try the small earthworms like Brian had done. I'm sure she will be hungry but its for her one sake. She has been well feed soshe should be ok going awhile without and she deffinatly isn't going to like being in the quarentine for a couple weeks.
    don't mess with my frogs

Hi, that's awesome that it went back in and I hope it stays there.

A week of fasting should be absolutely no problem at all for an otherwise healthy adult treefrog, so don't feel bad if you go even longer. I would have gone longer in my case, but I was going away for ten days and didn't want her first food and bowel movement to be when someone else was taking care of her. The reintroduction to food should also be slow, the less defecating while healing the better. Earthworms are great if your frog will take them and they can be chopped up into smaller bits that still wriggle.

Lots of handy info from Frank Indiviglo on recovery in the comments section here: Amphibian and Reptile Emergencies. If you end up feeding crickets, Frank suggests that smaller is better, and back legs removed will also help with digestibility.

Best of luck and keep us updated!

16. This member thanks UncleChester for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

She passed what was impacted in her, it looked to be about a 3/8 - 12 inch cricket and possibly a small piece of coco husk. Thanks Brian I'm gonna take your advise and try earthworm pieces. I would suspect after a week of fasting she will take them if they move she is a pretty aggressive feeder. I put more jungle mix overtop of the coco husk in my viv to prevent the other 2 from doing the same and culled the bigger crickets in the cricket keeper.
    don't mess with my frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Glad to hear that your little guy is on the road to recovery! Thanks for the info everybody, it is good to read about this stuff before it happens so you are prepared if/when it does!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Many of use feed from a glass bowl so that there is less chance of them swallowing substrate and less crickets on the loose in the vivarium.

A simple cereal bowl made of glass is too slippery for the crickets to get traction and escape from. If sunk into the substrate, will also collect loose crickets since they seem to love to fall back in.

I use plantation soil or straight coco fiber.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [Canada]

I use the bowl method for feeding but the odd one seems to escape and usually ends up commiting suicide in the water bowl.lol I think maybe the peice of husk just may have washed off her in the water bowl in the quarentine tank, it was quite small and at the opposite end from where she passed the cricket. I'm thinking I may do a change on the substrate to a plantation soil , the jungle mix seems to have some larger pieces in it.
    don't mess with my frogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

Last night I gave her a very small cricket and she had a poo and everything looks fine. maybe later I will put her back in with the rest of the crew so she will be a lot happier.
    don't mess with my frogs

Thread Information