Thread: Fire belly tadpole questions

Cammy

Default Fire belly tadpole questions

Hello! I'm new here and have a few questions about taking care of a couple OFBT tadpoles.

A little background information: I work at a pet store and we sell FBTs. We have had a few tadpoles pop up before, but none have lived very long. I have tried twice before to keep them in their own tank complete with live plants, seeded filter media, and consistent temperatures and water conditions, but they all died each time. This time I left the tadpoles in the adult enclosure as is suggested on the care guide on this forum and two of them have actually survived. One has all four legs fully formed and the other has both legs formed and I THINK was forming his front legs today (not sure though--I try not to mess with him too much). I feed them bloodworms and crushed fish food and there are live anacharis and various types of algae available for them at all times. The younger tadpole is voracious, but I don't know if/what the older one is eating at this point. He is alert and active though so he seems okay...

My questions are:

1. When is the tadpole considered a froglet/toadlet? Is it when they have all limbs formed and are coming up on land or not until they reabsorb the tail?

2. When is it safe to move the toadlet/older tadpole to a brand new setup? He spends most of his time in the very shallow water above the surface or in the little pools of water between the rocks on land. I am worried he will be mistaken for a cricket and will get eaten by one of the adults. He is quick but those adults are very...enthusiastic...about food. I'm sure you know what I mean. =P However, I am also worried that if I move him to a new setup that the water quality, stress, change, etc. will kill him. I know tadpoles have a high mortality rate because they are so sensitive to change. When are they considered stable enough to survive a change of enclosures?

Sorry this is so long winded! I tend to do that. But I really like these little guys...actually I'm kind of obsessed with them and am checking on them constantly...yeah...so I'd be really upset if they were to die now. D= Okay, well, thanks for reading and I'll check back for your answers.*

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

MissFroggie

Default Re: Fire belly tadpole questions

I have never raised FBT tadpoles so I don't have experience on this (so you may want to wait for other answers), although I'm hoping to one day breed my toads so have read about this lots!
    1) People sometimes disagree on this but generally a froglet/toadlet is a tadpole with all four legs which looks like an adult frog with a tail (short-medium length in comparison to tadpole tail)
    2) I would say that once the froglet is nearly the same size as the parents he/she can be safely moved to the adult setup. You're right to be very careful as tadpoles are sensitive and adult frogs are aggressive feeders. It's always uncertain moving the tadpoles as the frogs have no way of 'telling' you it's the right time, but if you ensure the frogs are a similar size there should be no reason for any conflicts between frogs. Some people might judge that this is later than needed but I like to be safe rather than sorry with the frogs.
    I really hope this works and your Fire Bellied Toads are happy in their new tank setup!

Thread Information