Thread: Live plant choices for tree frogs...

busytiredmom4

Default Live plant choices for tree frogs...

I have a Pacific Tree frog, a California toad and 2 fire belly toads. The 2 FBTs are together while the others are in same tank as they've been since juveniles. Going to be upgrading to larger tank for both and need some help on live plants. I've heard live plants are beneficial for frogs and I want to do evertything to make a nice environment for my babies....need some help though. I've got a basic set-up-nothing fancy.

For the tree frog: What kinds of live plants and how would I set up a vivarium for him? He obviously loves to climb so I'm probably getting a vertical. Should I stick with my bowl of water otr make a little swimming area for him? He's really not in the water that much. How would I grow live plants and where would I buy them?

Fire belly toads: Same question as far as plants, but these guys are in the water 24/7. They soak in a dish so they don't have a swimming area. Should I make one for them? Should I add live plants to that swimming area? Do FBTs like to climb and should I include vines, larger rocks, etc. to perch on? I notice they have long legs like a tree frog and the same kind of fingers as tree frogs. Maybe would benefit from vines? Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Live plant choices for tree frogs...

If you do a search with the word "plants" or "tree frog plants", you'll find a lot of threads on this very topic. Let me quote myself from a similar thread from just 5 days ago:

The plants I suggested are equally suited for any tree frog of roughly the same size, like a pacific tree frog.
    What you want to do is to use as much space as possible. A common "mistake" is to only have plants along the sides and at the bottom of the tank. You want to utilize the entire volume of the tank for the tree frogs. I'm no expert on these specific tree frog, but I imagine they work like any other tree frog, which is that they'll not use the substrate if the can avoid it. Therefore, plants, plants are more plants! Now, since they are tree frogs, I really don't think that you need a "swimming area". Most tree frogs (hylidae) are poor swimmers, and usually don't stay in the water for any longer period of time. Therefore, a simple water bowl is probably more than enough.

Now, about the FBT... I do not house these frogs myself, but you pick up quite a lot, since they are a very common animal to keep as a pet.
    You do want a water section since these frogs are semi aquatic. I do not know the exact numbers, but I've often seen "50/50" being recommended. Do not quote me on this ratio tough. As for plants, I see no harm in adding them to the water section. I'm not very good at aquatic plants, but the pothos can be planted directly in the water. I don't think that a lot of climbing space is needed for their well-being, but if you have unused vertical space, go for it! Just make sure the top of the tank is firmly secured, since these frogs are particular good escape artists...

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by ViperJr; December 13th, 2011 at 06:14 AM.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Live plant choices for tree frogs...

Hi Renee,
    I keep red eyed tree frogs ( no toads- so I am not sure what is safe -specifically for them). The pothos is very sturdy, as you know , commonly used.
    Below is a link to my "Set Up" Album if you would like to take a peak.
    There is information in the description for each plant.
    All of the plants listed have been in my enclosure for many months and are doing well w/ out needing hours of care.
    AND, my personal rule - they are going well in tropical soil.
    ( w/ the exception of the artillery plant- I purchased it recently for soil cover but having a little trouble getting it established)
    There are some plants listed her that are a bit fragile. But, I like the variety, as I enjoy the plant care as well as my frogs!

http://www.frogforum.net/members/fly...exo-terra.html

Note: Take care to prepare the plant properly before putting it into your enclosure! Lots of threads regarding this- easy to fund on FF.
    Enjoy creating your new set-up!
    Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"