Thread: Bumblebee dart frogs - new to pdf's

Shanny

Question Bumblebee dart frogs - new to pdf's

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I currently keep red eye tree frogs and wanted to further expand my collection with something new. I wanted to buy locally, but right now my shop that I usually buy from doesn't have any darts. So I decided to give craigslist a shot. To my surprise I found two different post, one guy who has many different kinds of darts that he's getting rid of because he's moving to costa rica for a couple months and another guy who is selling a pair of bumblebee darts.

1. The first guy posted that he had a proven pair of adult leucs for $200 and he also had two froglets for $35 each. I live in st Paul and so does he, so the drive is not an issue. He also said he would be willing to go down in price.

2. The second guy has a pair of unsexed adult leucs that he wants $100 for the both or $60 each... But, I live in st. Paul and he's in Mankato, mn. So that would be quite a drive if he would not meet me somewhere at least halfway.

So my dilemma here is which to go with.. I want at least two, I kind of wanted a sexed pair but it's not a big deal, and I'd rather have adults than froglets. But I also want to try and spend the least amount (including gas for the drive).

What I wanna know is, are these fair prices? Because I looked up bumblebees on websites that sell them and saw that they are on the cheaper side. I know sexed pairs are going to be a bit pricier too, which is understandable.

Again, I am new to pdf's so I wanted to go with a more "beginner" type like leucs or azuratus.. And my luck just so has it that I could find some locally so I don't have to worry about shipping costs or shipping in this cold weather.

Ideas? What would you do, or who would you go with???

I also wanted to add that the reason I'd rather not have froglets is because I'm already raising two red eye tree froglets as of right now.

-thanks for your help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Shanny

Default Re: Bumblebee dart frogs - new to pdf's

This is a pic of the two unsexed adults...

Is there anyway to tell if this could be male/female? I can see the one looks a little bigger than the other

Nationality
    [United States]

Hmmm, it really depends on your goals. Both prices seem fair.. i see no problems in that area. Ill try and talk about both deals.

If you definitely want to have froglets at some point and have breeding in your vivarium then plan and simple choose seller number one. $200 is a very fair deal and if he is willing to go a little lower than better yet!

If you really just want to have a couple frogs in your tank then option number two is viable. Although, i would like to warn you that even though leucomelas are very good community frogs. There are cases were 2 females end in fights and deaths. This is not always the case but it is not that uncommon. If they do start fighting it is imperative that you separate them immediately... which usually means another vivarium.

As for your image, it is really hard to tell what sex either are but in my opinion until male calling is heard.. it is not a male. And until there is courting behavior and eggs there is no female.

The proven pair basically says "Hey, i have two frogs here. One male and one female that are breeding or have bred before. These frogs will live together happily and have no territorial problems". I would chose seller number one personally.

I hope this helps! If you have anymore questions please feel free!
    D. Azureus
    R. Imitator - "Cainarachi Valley "

Wicked frogs

Careful of craigslist i have almost gotten scamed many of times on that site.

Thread Information