Thread: Hello and help me identify this guy please

13luck

Default Hello and help me identify this guy please

Hi
    I'm hoping some one on here might be able to help me identify this frog for me. I found him/Rocky on the sales floor of the Wal-mart I worked at here in Canada (he almost got crushed by a box).
    I'm also looking forward to talking to others about thier frogs and trying to learn more about them and thier care.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Hello and help me identify this guy please

That is a beautiful Gray Tree Frog (Hyla versicolor). They are pretty easy to keep. A terrarium with dirt and plants and branches will work pretty well. Maybe a small water bowl to add humidity. They'll eat pretty much any insect they can fit in their mouth, pet store crickets work well this time of year.

Alex

13luck

Thanks for the info...but after reading up on it I see that there is another species almost identical(Cope's Gray Treefrog). From the info I read their call is the only way to tell the differnce.
    Either way thanks for the help its nice to narrow it down to that, he has become a loved member of our family(my daughter named him after her grandpa lol).

Kurt

[quote=13luck;485]Thanks for the info...but after reading up on it I see that there is another species almost identical(Cope's Gray Treefrog). From the info I read their call is the only way to tell the differnce. quote]

I was going to say it was Hyla versicolor or Hyla chrysoscelis, but you beat me to it. If I were to make a bet, I would bet on it being versicolor rather than chrysoscelis.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

My vote is still with versicolor. Regardless, care is very much the same. Speciation only matters in breeding. Beautiful frog

Thread Information