Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloated Xenopus Laevis

Seberous

Unhappy Bloated Xenopus Laevis

Hello,

I have an aquarium of 160 liters with 9 Xenopus Laevis, 3 Ancistrus, 1 Corydoras, 3 Kuhli. Some of my female Xenopus were much bloated. I think it's the disease that causes them to swell. How can I treat them? What should I do? I'm afraid they are dying ...Here are some videos I filmed to show you how they are bloated. Please, help me!

Name:  SS857217.jpg
Views: 4288
Size:  77.9 KB

Mes Xenopus gonflées 1 - YouTube

Mes Xenopus gonflées 2 - YouTube

Mes Xenopus gonflées 3 - YouTube

Mes Xenopus gonflées 4 - YouTube

Mes Xenopus gonflées 5 - YouTube

Mes Xenopus gonflées 6 - YouTube

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Bloated Xenopus Laevis

In my opinion - you are overstocked.

If all of these frogs are showing bloating it is usually a clear sign that the water is very poor quality.
    Do you filter?
    How often do you do a water change, how much do you take out, how exactly do you do one, and how do you treat the water going back in?
    What do you feed, how often and how much?

You should not house corydoras with ACF - they have very tiny spines on their fins and if an ACF goes to eat one it is a painful death for both creatures.

Start by setting up a quarantine tank - for this many frogs it should be at least a 20 gallon long and have no substrate.

Use another container, or in this case containers (one per frog) for salt baths.
    Use Epsom salt, 1 teaspoon per one gallon of water, in the containers (NOT the quarantine tank!) for salt baths. Decholorinate the water like you would for their tank and leave them in the bath for about one hour. Then discard the bath water and return the frog to the quarantine tank. You will not see immediate results....this needs to be done for a couple of weeks.

This will hopefully help treat the soft bloat (there are two types of bloat and yours seem to have the soft bloat). In the meantime we need to figure out what caused it. If it was one frog it could be a kidney defect. Multiple frogs in the same tank indicate that there is a serious problem with their environment unfortunately.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Sorry that your frogs are experiencing bloating. Fortunately, it is a soft bloat and fairly easy to treat. The frogs have a fair chance of recovery if the treatment is started now. Follow the instructions in Jenna's post and continue the treatment until the frogs return to normal. One good thing about clawed frogs is that they are salt-tolerant. Since several frogs are bloated, it is likely an environmental problem. Please give us a summary of your tank conditions and we will be happy to advise you so your frogs can have a long life. Thanks!
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Nationality
    [United States]

Any update on your frogs?

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Seberous

Hello,

I had computer problems, then I could not come on the forum. To treat my frogs, I wonder if I can quarantine in a 20 liter aquarium for their salt baths. Is it enough if I put 20 liters my frogs one after another (not all at once) to treat? Now, I removed my Corydoras. I feed them every two days, varying with Daphnia or Artemia nutrient jelly, small cooked shrimp and earthworms. I have a pump 1000 liters, and I change 50% water every two weeks.

Thank you very much.

Nationality
    [Canada]

9 Frogs is a ton in what is roughly a 42 gallon aquarium. What shape is it? Hex? I would remove the kuhlis too. They look like works. I am surprised they are not already eaten. I can't offer much advice on top of what was given. I am curious if you feed the daphnia frozen or thawed though. I can't see how they would get enough if thawed because it is so tiny and goes everywhere. I would avoid the cooked shrimp too. You should be feeding raw.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Seberous View Post
    Hello,

I had computer problems, then I could not come on the forum. To treat my frogs, I wonder if I can quarantine in a 20 liter aquarium for their salt baths. Is it enough if I put 20 liters my frogs one after another (not all at once) to treat? Now, I removed my Corydoras. I feed them every two days, varying with Daphnia or Artemia nutrient jelly, small cooked shrimp and earthworms. I have a pump 1000 liters, and I change 50% water every two weeks.

Thank you very much.
    I would recommend Reptomin (found in the reptile aisle) and earthworms only and would not feed the rest.
    As far as salt baths, the 20L is fine for them. Use clean water, dechlorinate it, for every gallon of water in the bath tank use 1/2 tsp of epsom salt. Each frog needs to sit for up to an hour and each frog needs it's own bath water - don't reuse between frogs.
    Repeat once daily.

I am a little concerned as it has been 2 and 1/2 months since you originally posted regarding their bloat. Can you post some updated pictures/videos of their condition?

Seberous

I give them Daphnias nutritious jelly. I can not remove the Khulis, because I have no other aquarium where they would be happy. For salt baths, I am afraid to disturb the frogs in bathing them many times. They will not like change many times in different aquarium.

Here are pictures of my bloated frogs currently :
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [Canada]

Those frogs look horrible. I think you need to be willing to do what is necessary. Give them their own tank, reduce your numbers or increase tank size, get them on some good food, treat them as perscribed.

KingCam

Oh my gosh!! O_O Those poor poor frogs :'(

Nationality
    [United States]

I give them Daphnias nutritious jelly. I can not remove the Khulis, because I have no other aquarium where they would be happy. For salt baths, I am afraid to disturb the frogs in bathing them many times. They will not like change many times in different aquarium.

Not doing anything is much more cruel then making them a bit annoyed at giving them salt baths that may save them. At this point, if you do nothing then they will eventually die.

Leaving your tank the way it is is not a suitable environment for any of it's inhabitants. They kuhlis will eventually end up being eaten...and the frogs will most likely eventually die.

Again, I must insist/beg if you will, that you do something to help these poor frogs. They are truly suffering.

Seberous

On a French forum, someone told me that salt baths are unnecessary. I quote the message:

"From my points of view, the frog are Being obese with too much chicken and beef and fiber fats Epsom salt .. Will only help a little for Them to Increase Their excreting system, Because your frogs are not exothalmia Suffering Whereas gold has provided the body fluids hAS excesive. In your case, the one Caused That is bloated symtomps obesitas, provided based on a diet Where the fiber and fats are digested and Already Became hand of the body ..

So, I do not think epsom salt is nessesary for this condition, Just Give hum a diet based on what Variety Laurent/tyrano34/webmaster Stated in the previous post ... In general, I only know that Epsom Salt (MgSO4·7H2O) is usually used as a laxative medicine or saline laxative, which means that epsom salt helps water creatures to excrete their waste part. Water creature depends highly on minerals for them to excrete as in like osmotic regulation system. So, be it their "sweat" and/or "Digestive system", epsom salt helps "smoother" their digestive system.

Try to read about epsom salt:
    Magnesium sulfate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Hypomagnesemia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just like in human, there's no really cure for obesity unless you choose the right diet and have some work out. Well, that's about the same with animals.. Just make them active and burned out that saturated fats with less meaty diet of course..

In my opinion, usually a bloated body is diagnosed as exothalmia and epsom salt will work to "smoother" their skin so the fluid will come out easier. But in this case as stated that the Xenopus' owner had been feeding them with chicken and beef which not all animals with more primitive digesting system than human could really digest chicken and beef because of the protein, fat, and fiber in chicken and beef somewhat different from protein we could get from insects which the animals usually eat... "

Nationality
    [United States]

These are not just fat frogs - it is not that they are packing on the pounds and sitting around watching a lot of cable TV.

These frogs have a disease. In my opinion, you have been posting around elsewhere hoping someone would give you an answer you liked, rather than the answers you need.

I feel quite strongly, and I think other members would also, that if these were my frogs, I wouldn't hesitate to try any solution given to me...even on the chance that it MIGHT help. I would be trying to help them as fast as I was capable.

Considering you originally posted this 3 full months ago when the frogs were already very bloated which means they have been bloated from a considerable time before your original post, I do not have a lot of faith for their outcome.

Epson salt baths are extremely easy to do and have been very successful in treating many frogs on this forum including one of my own.

Nationality
    [Netherlands]

Quote Originally Posted by Jenste View Post
    In my opinion, you have been posting around elsewhere hoping someone would give you an answer you liked, rather than the answers you need.
    Exactly what I was thinking. You've been given good advice on this forum, so I don't understand why you don't use it for your animals advantage.
    P.hosii/G.riobambae/S.couchii/C.cranwelli/B.orientalis/R.humboldti/M.klappenbachi

Seberous

I'll start treating my frogs. I'll search where to buy epsom salt in France. I would give you some news.

Seberous

I finally received my Epsom salt today ! I did a salt bath at my two larger frogs. Bath for 15 minutes a liter of water, a teaspoon of salt.

I wonder if I need again baths, and when. And when will I see improvement ?

Thank you very much.

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Four months later and you are only just starting treatment???? Those poor frogs, I think you should re-home them.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?lfy4cx

Nationality
    [United States]

Do one, one-hour soak per frog every day. Improvements should be noticeable after a couple of weeks. For soft bloat, this is going to be a life long problem that will have flare ups. Do the baths until the swelling is noticeably relieved (2-3 weeks) and be vigilant about restarting treatment as soon as you notice swelling reoccurring.

Seberous

I made yesterday a bath for one hour with your advice. I have some questions :

Is it good to put three frogs at the same time in the bath or should I let them each separately a bath (bath separately is many time and many salt, because doing baths with three frogs at the same time is best for me)?

And do I have to change the water between each bath or can I keep the brine for several baths (because it's going to be expensive salt)? And if so, I keep it for how many baths?

Thank you very much for your help.

Nationality
    [United States]

One bath per frog and the bath water can only be used once.

Don't try and double doses to have two frogs together.... The salt doesn't "know" to divide evenly and you could really hurt your frogs.

Using bathwater over risks infection due to risk of bacteria forming, concentration or dilution of salt due to absorption / evaporation....

Just too many risks.

Epson salt is very cheap and the quantity you use per bath will make the container last a while.

Unfortunately, you wouldn't have had to do as long of a treatment if they had been treated earlier. Now their bloat is quite severe and needs longer treatment.

Can you post updated pictures of all the frogs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information