Thread: Using bleach to clean tank accesories?

Pega

Unhappy Using bleach to clean tank accesories?

So, I recently got a Golden Tree Frog. He's an awesome frog. Very active and happy. However, I am unhappy with his tank. I wanted to add some rocks in to give it a more "natural" feel on the bottom of the tank, and one branch I had kept getting nasty and mossy, so I wanted to clean it. I unfortunately used a teeeny bit of bleach without thinking to clean all the rocks (which I found at a riverbank) and the cork branch. I thought better of it about halfway through (thinking of how frogs' skin is so sensitive), and I quickly pulled it out. However... can this log be salvaged? I figured the rocks could be with quite a few thorough rinsings in hot water, but I was unsure about the branch. Do I have to throw it out? Or can it, too, be used later?

Thanks!

PS- Don't worry. I haven't put it in the water at ALL since. The frog is still safe and happy in his un-clorinated tank.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Using bleach to clean tank accesories?

Rinse rocks in tap water until chlorine smell is gone and let them soak overnight in water with 4X dose of conditioner. Should be fine then as long as rock are non-poruous. I would replace cork branch; with all those crevices and wood soaking capability, not sure you can get all Cl out. Maybe someone else has experience getting Cl out of wood decor?
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Pega

Hey, Thanks for your help, Carlos. I will definitely not put it in unless someone else tells me otherwise--- so next time I do get new branches, what should I clean them with? Just hot water? And if so, how do I keep them from growing moss? Or is the moss good for the frogs? We took the brach/log out because it seemed to be the source of an oily film that was over the top of my water. Every time we put the log back in, the oil went back on the water. I didn't think that it could be good for my frog...

busytiredmom4

I've been told by frog expert at my usual pet store to never use bleach, no matter how small the amount, for obvious reasons. Even though there might be plenty of rinsing and dechlorinating, it still might end up bad. The owner said just plain ol' water and a scrubber and let the accessories air dry. Unfortunately, the log might have to go. The rocks might be ok with very thorough rinsing and as another posted suggested, as long as they're not porous, douse with dechlorinator on those. The log is too porous and probably already absorbed the toxins. Hope it helps! Good luck!

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by busytiredmom4 View Post
    I've been told by frog expert at my usual pet store to never use bleach, no matter how small the amount, for obvious reasons. Even though there might be plenty of rinsing and dechlorinating, it still might end up bad. The owner said just plain ol' water and a scrubber and let the accessories air dry. Unfortunately, the log might have to go. The rocks might be ok with very thorough rinsing and as another posted suggested, as long as they're not porous, douse with dechlorinator on those. The log is too porous and probably already absorbed the toxins. Hope it helps! Good luck!
    Bleach is often recommended here by experinced frog people to clean tanks and accesories, as long as you do it the right way. If I recall correctly, a 10:1 water-bleach solution is what you want, followed by thourugh rinsing and a long air dry. Just scrubbing with water is not enough to get rid of all the nastyness.
    Just wanted to add this.

Pega

Thanks a bunches! So... my log's been drying for about a week now--- and I put one tiny capful into a whole sink of water when I did it. Is this going to be okay?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pega View Post
    Hey, Thanks for your help, Carlos. I will definitely not put it in unless someone else tells me otherwise--- so next time I do get new branches, what should I clean them with? Just hot water? And if so, how do I keep them from growing moss? Or is the moss good for the frogs? We took the brach/log out because it seemed to be the source of an oily film that was over the top of my water. Every time we put the log back in, the oil went back on the water. I didn't think that it could be good for my frog...
    A local pet store sells pre-decorated reptile & amphibian set-ups where they glue cork and other materials with silicone glue as a background. They pick cork slabs from the sales bin and do not even rinse it. In their wetter set-ups moss grows on it creating very nice and natural effects. Moss is fine with frogs and many species add gorgeous green areas to set-ups. If store is dusty (usually from bird areas) would only rinse with water and that's it!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [Canada]

I use a vinegar/water solution then rinse thoroughly with treated tap water and if its porous then I boil it for a couple hours then soak in treated tap water. Everything should be rinsed with treated tap water whether it is new or not, the extra care always out ways the risk of a sick frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

If the bleach came in contact with the wood it has to go. Even though bleach does become inert and loses its disinfecting qualities after coming in contact with organic material. Still may be harmful to the frog. Better safe than sorry.

Pega

Thanks for your help. I've been trying to pawn it off to my friend with a bearded dragon, but she has enough sticks, she says. I guess I'll just chuck it. heh.

Thread Information