Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pac Man Frog Owner!

pansie

Default New Pac Man Frog Owner!

Hello!

I just got my pac man frog as a gift on sunday. His name is Pancake.

He is about the size of a loonie and the people that sold it said he is eating about 4-5 superworms per sitting. He might just be stressed still, but i haven't been able to get him to eat. Is this normal? Any tips?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Poly

Default Re: New Pac Man Frog Owner!

Welcome to the froum!

Yes, it's completly normal! He is still adjusting to his new surroundings. I bought mine on a Satuday, and it didn't eat until Wenesday of that week. No worries.

As for tips, a major tip is to avoid superworms (And mealworms for a baby pacman, mealworms are fine for adults though.) because they have a powerful bite and can harm the frog internally. Feed it worms or nightcrewlers instead, they are far more filling and nutritious than superworms, and are much easiser to keep.

This is my baby pacman, Tank, he eats two pieces of nightcrawler this size every two days:

Also, if you need some nightcrawlers, and can't find any local suppliers, I can sell you some, check out my website in my signature.

~Royce

Poly

I just thought I'd let you know, "Nightcrawlers" are 9"+ long worms, I cut them down to an appropriate feeding size, the rest of the worm survives for later feedings.

pansie

i was thinking that nightcrawlers are pretty huge! =)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Congrats on your new Pacman and welcome to Frog Forum Pansie! Agree with Royce feeding advices. One other thing you can do is get around 6 crickets sized the distance between your Pacman's eyes, dust them with Ca and release them on cage in the evening. Do remove any uneaten crickets in the morning and retry at evening again. Until they get to see you as a non-threat it's easier to get them started eating that way. That's how I got my Pacman to eat the first night at home and now takes nightcrawlers (available ones are 4-6 in.) from tweezers.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Congrats on your new Pacman and welcome to Frog Forum Pansie! Agree with Royce feeding advices. One other thing you can do is get around 6 crickets sized the distance between your Pacman's eyes, dust them with Ca and release them on cage in the evening. Do remove any uneaten crickets in the morning and retry at evening again. Until they get to see you as a non-threat it's easier to get them started eating that way. That's how I got my Pacman to eat the first night at home and now takes nightcrawlers (available ones are 4-6 in.) from tweezers.
    I agree with your cricket feeding method, but I think it is easier, and better if you can start them on nightcrawlers, as the fill up the frog much faster and are more nutrititonal.

Nationality
    [United States]

Congratulations on your new Pacman Frog!

As mentioned before, often Pacman Frogs need time to adjust to their new home. It often takes several days for them to feel confortable with their new surroundings. Cody was actually eating the night I brough him home from a loud, busy Expo after an hour long drive to my house, but all Pacman Frogs are different LOL.

Superworms and Mealworms can be used as food sparingly, but I would only feed them that as adults, as said earlier. Nightcrawlers make a much better staple (don't forget to dust them!). If you get Nightcrawlers, you need to know that they are parasite and chemical free, or you risk losing your Pacman Frog. I am not sure if they have Walmarts in Canada, but I know Walmart has a strict policy to have the no chemical, no parasite at all. Many members have said they are safe. If you have a Walmart, it is the DMV brand. You can get baby Nightcrawlers averaging around 3-4". They are perfect in diameter for baby Pacman Frogs, the adults are stout and muscular.

Keep us up-to-date, and please don't hesitate to ask questions! If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you read the forum's Pacman Frog Care Article (located here: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding ) if you haven't already. Even if you have already read other care articles, I think this one is the most accurate for the proper care of the species.
    Last edited by MeTree; December 7th, 2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Removed some typos...

pansie

Name:  IMG-20111204-04096.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  124.7 KB

here is a pic of Pancake.
    he's a cutie =)

pansie

I've been finding that i am getting such conflicting info from the locals! The expo that my husband bought him from for me, EVERYONE was recommending superworms as the staple in the diet. I've read not to use a lamp because it will dry them out, and not to use an UTH because it can burn them, but nobody mentioned putting one on the side like you guys have! This place seems to be very rich with valid info!

Nationality
    [United States]

Nice pacman .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by MeTree View Post
    If you get Nightcrawlers, you need to know that they are parasite and chemical free, or you risk losing your Pacman Frog.
    All nightcrawlers I sell have been famred 100% parasite and chemical free.

Quote Originally Posted by pansie View Post
    I've been finding that i am getting such conflicting info from the locals! The expo that my husband bought him from for me, EVERYONE was recommending superworms as the staple in the diet. I've read not to use a lamp because it will dry them out, and not to use an UTH because it can burn them, but nobody mentioned putting one on the side like you guys have! This place seems to be very rich with valid info!
    Never use a heat lamp for a pacman, it can dry them out, and burnm their eyes. Yes, he's sure cute!

Nationality
    [United States]

No problem! Glad we can help.

Nationality
    [United States]

Despite what was said about lamps I can honestly say that this is not entirely true. Lamps do burn off humidity and can dry the soil slightly IF you have a bulb that is too many watts. 25 to 50 watts is the minimum and maximum. When using a lamp be sure to purchase one that has a dimmer swithch so you can accurately control the amount of light and heat being produced by the bulb. I use lamps and have the entire time. Mist the enclosure as needed for spikes in humidity and to moisten the soil. Not feeding superworms and meal worms is great advice as the chitin that their exoskeleton is made from is difficult for the frogs to digest and can cause impaction. The bite of the superworm is bad and has in very rare occations the superworms have been known to chew through the stomach of the frog. Always smash the heads of the superworm before giving it to the frog. As was said above they are to be given as a treat not a staple. Night crawlers are an excellent staple. Crickets are good as long as you gut load them and dust them appropriately. Don't let anyone say lamps are bad because of used apprpriately there is no issue to be had. As for the UTH it should be placed on the side of the tank opposite the side with the water dish so the frog has a temp gradient and can decide whether it wants to be warm or cool. When using a lamp in combination with a UTH place the lamp over the center of the enclosure. Provide a fake plant or two for cover. And cover 3 sides of your frogs tank with some sort of background so he/she feels more secure. Makes sure you use de-chlorinated water. the frog will become ill and die if exsposed to the chemicals in tap water. Please note that boiling does not remove all chemicals and heavy metals from the water so be sure to buy a water conditioner to treat and de-chlorinate the water.

Congrats on your new little Pac. He/she is very cute. Read the care article as MeTree has said take the advice given and don't hesitate to ask questions. Welcome to the forum.

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Despite what was said about lamps I can honestly say that this is not entirely true. Lamps do burn off humidity and can dry the soil slightly IF you have a bulb that is too many watts. 25 to 50 watts is the minimum and maximum. When using a lamp be sure to purchase one that has a dimmer swithch so you can accurately control the amount of light and heat being produced by the bulb. I use lamps and have the entire time. Mist the enclosure as needed for spikes in humidity and to moisten the soil. Not feeding superworms and meal worms is great advice as the chitin that their exoskeleton is made from is difficult for the frogs to digest and can cause impaction. The bite of the superworm is bad and has in very rare occations the superworms have been known to chew through the stomach of the frog. Always smash the heads of the superworm before giving it to the frog. As was said above they are to be given as a treat not a staple. Night crawlers are an excellent staple. Crickets are good as long as you gut load them and dust them appropriately. Don't let anyone say lamps are bad because of used apprpriately there is no issue to be had. As for the UTH it should be placed on the side of the tank opposite the side with the water dish so the frog has a temp gradient and can decide whether it wants to be warm or cool. When using a lamp in combination with a UTH place the lamp over the center of the enclosure. Provide a fake plant or two for cover. And cover 3 sides of your frogs tank with some sort of background so he/she feels more secure. Makes sure you use de-chlorinated water. the frog will become ill and die if exsposed to the chemicals in tap water. Please note that boiling does not remove all chemicals and heavy metals from the water so be sure to buy a water conditioner to treat and de-chlorinate the water.

Congrats on your new little Pac. He/she is very cute. Read the care article as MeTree has said take the advice given and don't hesitate to ask questions. Welcome to the forum.
    I said never use a "heat" lamp, not a normal 25-50 watt lamp. I use a 11 watt CFL for my pac, and it actually throws a bit of heat.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    I said never use a "heat" lamp, not a normal 25-50 watt lamp. I use a 11 watt CFL for my pac, and it actually throws a bit of heat.
    I'm not bashing on your methods Royce. You can use heat lamps they are fine as long as you have a dimmer switch on the lamp. I use basking lamps with a concentrated beam of light during the day and infrared heat lamps at night. Fluorescents are bad for the frogs eyes because they are always bright and cannot be used with a dimmer switch. As long as you keep the soil moist and mist daily there will be no issue. Since they stay burrowed during the day they will not be harmed by the light. Especially if you have live plants or fake plants for cover. The instinctually will burrow away from the light. Although occationally they will burrow between the cool side and where the light shines down. And vice versa with the warm side and where the light shines. The frog will decide where it wants to be and whether it wants warmth or cool. As long as ther is a gradient all will be well. Plus it has the advantage of false sun light to help with their day night cycle.

17. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Poly

I'm not bashing on your methods Royce. You can use heat lamps they are fine as long as you have a dimmer switch on the lamp. I use basking lamps with a concentrated beam of light during the day and infrared heat lamps at night. Fluorescents are bad for the frogs eyes because they are always bright and cannot be used with a dimmer switch. As long as you keep the soil moist and mist daily there will be no issue. Since they stay burrowed during the day they will not be harmed by the light. Especially if you have live plants or fake plants for cover. The instinctually will burrow away from the light. Although occationally they will burrow between the cool side and where the light shines down. And vice versa with the warm side and where the light shines. The frog will decide where it wants to be and whether it wants warmth or cool. As long as ther is a gradient all will be well. Plus it has the advantage of false sun light to help with their day night cycle.
    That's what I mainly use my CFL's for, day & night cycle, and plant growth, but no one told me they could harm my frog's eyes!? I give them lots of plant cover, almost a canopy type thing, but the fact that CFL's may harm my frog has be a bit uneasy now. Can you recommend a good, low wattage incondescent? Can you get incondescent bulbs that will also stimulate plant growth? I'm currently using twin Sylvania 6500K CFL's.

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: I use 6500K's for my painted frog, pacman frog, toads, and soon to be tree frogs, hmm...

Nationality
    [United States]

That's what I mainly use my CFL's for, day & night cycle, and plant growth, but no one told me they could harm my frog's eyes!? I give them lots of plant cover, almost a canopy type thing, but the fact that CFL's may harm my frog has be a bit uneasy now. Can you recommend a good, low wattage incondescent? Can you get incondescent bulbs that will also stimulate plant growth? I'm currently using twin Sylvania 6500K CFL's.

Thanks for the info!

EDIT: I use 6500K's for my painted frog, pacman frog, toads, and soon to be tree frogs, hmm...
    With a lot of shaded cover the lights probably won't do any harm. Fluorescents are always so bright especially those meant for plant growth. There are daylight blue bulbs available in incandescents. Exo terra makes one and I believe they also make a natural bulb. Ofcourse these are all UVA bulbs. A lot of people believe that its the UVA and UVB rays that damage the frogs eyes which is quite possible in much stronger brighter bulbs. If you are able to adjust the amount of light output coming from the bulb then there will be no issue. That's what hurts their eyes bulbs that are too bright. I don't have any links to post but I may be able to get names I believe the daylight bulb is actually called Daylight blue and the other is nature sun. I believe these both work well with plants. Ofcourse when it comes to plants fluorescents tend to do a better job. The daylight blue bulb does emmit farely decent heat as well as light. Its a white light. Stimulates plant growth. Look them up and see what one best suits you. Also its wouldn't hurt to buy a lamp with a dimmer switch as these bulbs release more heat than fluorescents and if you aren't having trouble keeping your frogs warm enough then these may make them too hot.

20. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Poly

With a lot of shaded cover the lights probably won't do any harm. Fluorescents are always so bright especially those meant for plant growth. There are daylight blue bulbs available in incandescents. Exo terra makes one and I believe they also make a natural bulb. Ofcourse these are all UVA bulbs. A lot of people believe that its the UVA and UVB rays that damage the frogs eyes which is quite possible in much stronger brighter bulbs. If you are able to adjust the amount of light output coming from the bulb then there will be no issue. That's what hurts their eyes bulbs that are too bright. I don't have any links to post but I may be able to get names I believe the daylight bulb is actually called Daylight blue and the other is nature sun. I believe these both work well with plants. Ofcourse when it comes to plants fluorescents tend to do a better job. The daylight blue bulb does emmit farely decent heat as well as light. Its a white light. Stimulates plant growth. Look them up and see what one best suits you. Also its wouldn't hurt to buy a lamp with a dimmer switch as these bulbs release more heat than fluorescents and if you aren't having trouble keeping your frogs warm enough then these may make them too hot.
    So, the short of the matter is, that CFLs are too bright and can harm the frogs eyes, incandescents emit UVA & UVB rays which can also harm frogs eyes, and they don't provide good plant growth... dam*ed if I do, and dam*ed if I don't...

I DO NOT want bulbs that emit heat OR UVA & B rays, but I want a bulb that won't harm my frog's and slamanaders eyes. I seen a thread in which John posted about how 6500K lights are fine for amphibains, but I can't seem to find it now.

I don't want to "probably not do any harm" I want to make sure they are NOT harmed, but either way I look at it, the CFL's are too bright, and even if you dim the incandescents, they emit UVA & UVB rays.

So, if I provide a natural, forest type canopy of plants, theoritically it's the same difference with the full "sun" colour sprectum CFL's as it would to have sunlight shining directly on the tank?

Is their a light you know of that does not harm their eyes, emit UVA or UVB rays or heat but stimulates plant growth? Zoo-Med & Exo-Terra make the Repti-Glo and Repti-Sun in CFL's adn full size flourescents and they are supposed to be safe for amphibians (only the 2.0 and nature sun bulbs), and the 6500K's are supposed to be the same as these bulbs, so now I'm confused and worried...

Nationality
    [United States]

So, the short of the matter is, that CFLs are too bright and can harm the frogs eyes, incandescents emit UVA & UVB rays which can also harm frogs eyes, and they don't provide good plant growth... dam*ed if I do, and dam*ed if I don't...

I DO NOT want bulbs that emit heat OR UVA & B rays, but I want a bulb that won't harm my frog's and slamanaders eyes. I seen a thread in which John posted about how 6500K lights are fine for amphibains, but I can't seem to find it now.

I don't want to "probably not do any harm" I want to make sure they are NOT harmed, but either way I look at it, the CFL's are too bright, and even if you dim the incandescents, they emit UVA & UVB rays.

So, if I provide a natural, forest type canopy of plants, theoritically it's the same difference with the full "sun" colour sprectum CFL's as it would to have sunlight shining directly on the tank?

Is their a light you know of that does not harm their eyes, emit UVA or UVB rays or heat but stimulates plant growth? Zoo-Med & Exo-Terra make the Repti-Glo and Repti-Sun in CFL's adn full size flourescents and they are supposed to be safe for amphibians (only the 2.0 and nature sun bulbs), and the 6500K's are supposed to be the same as these bulbs, so now I'm confused and worried...
    They all say safe for amphibians that have full spectrum light. Fluorescents say the same and have full spectrum. Your lights are bright and as I said with as much plant cover as you say you have there is no need to change bulbs. UVA is in sun light as well as UVB. They aren't exsposed to much in the wild since they hide during the day. They do benefit from about 4 to 6 hours of full spectru light and UVB. UVB doesn't harm their eyes it stimulates the natural production of vitamin D3 in their body which is why the benefit from being exposed to it for limited hours during the day as well as UVA. You aren't damned if you do or don't. Info on what lights are best to use is sparse and contradictory unless you as people who use lights that I use and have no issues. I use UVA heat bulbs that are 50 watts and have no problems. They aren't too bright and don't harm their eyes. If they were recieveing eye damage from them it would have shown by now. Don't panic. You haven't had any issues yet have you?

23. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Poly

They all say safe for amphibians that have full spectrum light. Fluorescents say the same and have full spectrum. Your lights are bright and as I said with as much plant cover as you say you have there is no need to change bulbs. UVA is in sun light as well as UVB. They aren't exsposed to much in the wild since they hide during the day. They do benefit from about 4 to 6 hours of full spectru light and UVB. UVB doesn't harm their eyes it stimulates the natural production of vitamin D3 in their body which is why the benefit from being exposed to it for limited hours during the day as well as UVA. You aren't damned if you do or don't. Info on what lights are best to use is sparse and contradictory unless you as people who use lights that I use and have no issues. I use UVA heat bulbs that are 50 watts and have no problems. They aren't too bright and don't harm their eyes. If they were recieveing eye damage from them it would have shown by now. Don't panic. You haven't had any issues yet have you?
    Well, I plan on using the 6500K light for salamanders, but they stay hidden during the day so it shouldn't matter for them. It'll just keep the moss and plants growing good

But, I generally have heavily planted vivs for my frogs or I provide them with many spaces to hide. I haven't had any issues, but certainly don't want to! I like the idea of these low watt, blue incandescents, but they don't stimulate plant growth, which will not work in a planted viv!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information