Thread: Disappointed in Eco Earth once again.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Disappointed in Eco Earth once again.

Well I prepared one of the free bricks that I received for complaining about finding pea sized stones in a batch of bricks I purchased and much to my dismay I was stabbed repeatedly in both my hands while trying to grind it up into a fine loose state. Didn't even look to see if it had more stones but instead the fibrous hair like pieces of fiber within were a little larger and were hard like splinters. I did find a couple of wood chips in it. I was once again angered by what I found and the fact that I know if it was irritating my hands then those fibers were definetly going to irritate my frogs skin not to mention may put them at risk of losing an eye. I imediately threw it out and started another brick. Ill probably have to complain again. I didn't actually lose money on it because it was sent to me for free but its the fact that it basically was loaded with thousands of spines.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Poly

Default Re: Disappointed in Eco Earth once again.

Wow... how dangerous! I've never had this problem with Exo-Terra Plantation Soil... Ever consider switching brands?

demeteraurion

Wow, I just found a piece of bark in mine o.O What a coincidence.

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes I've considered switching. Non of the pet stores around me have it and according to them can't get it. So I guess ill have to order online and get some to try out. I had no issues before and I don't know if their quality isn't as important to them as it was before or if something else went wrong for stones and splinters to be in the soil. That brick smelled different too. It didn't smell like dirt. It was a strange. Smell. Like a type of wood. I have had bricks that smelled funny before and swapped them out quick but never any that actually hurt my hands.

Nabced

Ahh Eco earth... The bricks are always like a mystery gift but what you typically find in them isn't good lol.

Kristen

What would happen if you complained again? or would they just give you some more free stuff, ?

Nationality
    [United States]

Maybe they have bad quality control? I've used one brick only and had no problems with splinters. After getting brick soaked in water overnight, just broke it in two and ground one piece against the other one. Did find a 4 in. piece of twisted synthetic line among crumbled material; guess those bricks do come with surprises inside. Did get a brick of Plantation Soil and will comment on it once use it next week.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Maybe they have bad quality control? I've used one brick only and had no problems with splinters. After getting brick soaked in water overnight, just broke it in two and ground one piece against the other one. Did find a 4 in. piece of twisted synthetic line among crumbled material; guess those bricks do come with surprises inside. Did get a brick of Plantation Soil and will comment on it once use it next week.
    I've used different kinds of coco fiber before but didn't like them because they always had sand in them. Like a compressed jungle bed mix that was mostly coco fiber. Found a store that carries Eco earth all the time in single brick or triple pack. I usually get the triple because its a little cheaper. Found stones in both triple packs and now the s3 singles I got for free from complaining had wood chips and splinters. Definetly full of surprises. Seriously not liking my recent experience with one of the supposed safest frog beddings on the market. Its irritating.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    What would happen if you complained again? or would they just give you some more free stuff, ?
    Probably just replace the bad bricks with more bad bricks. Free is useless if I'm just being given free trash. Trash replaced by more trash hmmm doesn't help. Next time the bricks might be full of hornets. One person on here actually got a brick that was full of fire ants. Now that's a surprise.

Tori Savage

Grif, I've used that Forrest Moss from Exo Terra. I never found anything in those. I recently got 2 bricks of the Exo Terra Plantation Soil. No surprises there. And it doesn't seem sandy to the touch. I hope ya find something without any mystery surprises.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Tori Savage View Post
    Grif, I've used that Forrest Moss from Exo Terra. I never found anything in those. I recently got 2 bricks of the Exo Terra Plantation Soil. No surprises there. And it doesn't seem sandy to the touch. I hope ya find something without any mystery surprises.
    I won't use any type of moss because I won't put my frogs at risk of impaction. Ill probably order some plantation soil and give it a go.

Thread Information