Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First vivarium

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: First vivarium

I don't think they eat live plants. I actually think that they can help plants.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wyomingite

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Highum View Post
    I don't think they eat live plants. I actually think that they can help plants.
    Right, Tom. I'm not worried 'bout them harmin' the plants in any way. Thanks.

I'm worried 'bout my hide should Mrs. WYite see little critters hangin' out in her plants. She's kind of...uhmmm...an OCD cleanliness freak with an aversion to invertebrates, who fails to accept the ecological importance of insects, wood lice, spiders, worms, etc., etc. 'Cept for bees and butterflies, 'cuz they're pretty. So I was wonderin' just how likely springtails are to colonize the soil in potted houseplant in different rooms. Has anyone else had "problems" with this?

WYite

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh sorry for misunderstanding you.

Wyomingite

No need to be sorry.

maneeta

Quote Originally Posted by Wyomingite View Post
    I'm worried 'bout my hide should Mrs. WYite see little critters hangin' out in her plants. She's kind of...uhmmm...an OCD cleanliness freak with an aversion to invertebrates, who fails to accept the ecological importance of insects, wood lice, spiders, worms, etc., etc. 'Cept for bees and butterflies, 'cuz they're pretty. So I was wonderin' just how likely springtails are to colonize the soil in potted houseplant in different rooms. Has anyone else had "problems" with this?
    I'm not sure if I've got you right... I'd say It's impossible that springtails get out of your tank and into the houseplant, especially not if it's standing in another room, if you don't exchange the soil, I can't imagine how they could do that (would be a few lifetime journeys for them)... And I've had springtails in one of my plants without putting them in - it was before I've got my frogs - so they can come out of nothing... Actually I'm not even sure if your wife would see them if she doesn't check her plants' soil regularly with a microscope, they're so tiny... I've discovered "my" springtails about one year after I've got that plant very accidentally.

I'd definitely recommend springtails. Since I've put them in my tank, I've never had to remove any feces - there aren't any(!?).

Wyomingite

No, I won't be mixin' any soil with that in the houseplants. I was curious of the little critters would travel is all and if so was considerin' the excuses I'd need to come up with if the wife noticed. And believe you me, if anyone would notice, it'd be her.

Thanks, maneeta.

WYite

I hijacked my thread back just so I could post cute pics of my frogs in their new home.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Nationality
    [United States]

Again that blue is just amazing I really want a blue one now.

The other is a blue too, but stays brown a lot more often than the first one. I put more pics in my photo album, so feel free to take a look. I spent like an hour just taking pics of them, and keeping Luigi from escaping while I did so. He jumped out of the tank at least half a dozen times. One time was in my hair.

My world was sinking into the water!

So tip, be sure the soil is -above- the water level. I think it's fixed now. It was hard just trying to lift up these two sections without disturbing it too much.

The best part about building this vivarium is that with the nice new bigger tank, my blue WTF's are so much more active! Especially Luigi. I think they're happier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information