Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Help!!!! Swollen leg!!

DisguisedMadness

Exclamation Please Help!!!! Swollen leg!!

I have 2 White's Dumpy Tree Frogs and one of them hasn't been eating well and has a severly swollen leg. I didn't realize it until a few days ago when I took her out of the tank. She is very skinny (unlike my other frog, he's a fatty :P) and her leg seems to be very painful. I can't find a wound. I'm really scared because I love her to death and don't want her to suffer or die. Any idea on what this could be?? I greatly appreciate any help!! Below are some pics of the leg. The underside looks red and it looks like there may be a small wound that I didn't see before..

Attachment 21207Attachment 21206Attachment 21208Attachment 21209

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Shrek3000

Default Re: Please Help!!!! Swollen leg!!

First things first I would Isolate the sick frog in a spare critter keeper if you have one with paper towel just for a temporary Quarantine!!!!!!

4. This member thanks Shrek3000 for this post:

DisguisedMadness

I accidentally deleted the pics.. -.-

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Separate the injured frog. Swab the reddened area as well as all wounds with Bactine. It is very effective in reducing infection. Repeat the procedure twice daily until clear. Reduce stress by covering the critter keeper with brown paper. Frog Forum - Basic Frog First Aid care sheet will help. Good luck and hope all goes well for your frog
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

7. This member thanks tgampper for this post:

DisguisedMadness

Talking Re: Please Help!!!! Swollen leg!!

Name:  IMG_20111204_111659.jpg
Views: 1940
Size:  45.7 KBName:  IMG_20111204_111645.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  47.1 KBName:  IMG_20111204_111418.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  54.6 KBName:  IMG_20111204_111410.jpg
Views: 1883
Size:  44.8 KB

Here's the pics I accidentally deleted earlier...

And thank you!! I'm definitely gonna give it a try. I really hope that works til I can get her to the vet!!

DisguisedMadness

Ok, I put her in quarantine and used the Bactine on her leg. This morning when I woke up she was on the side of the quarantine tank. Now the good thing is she is more alert than normal, green, and her leg looks a little less swollen. The redness has also went down. Bad thing is the skin broke and now the muscles are showing in her thigh, however that's not imparing her movement.. I put more bactine on it this morning to try and prevent any more infections from popping up.. I still can't take her to the doctor until next Wed.. Any other first aid advice??

DisguisedMadness

*UPDATE*

Poor frogette is still having issues.. Her poor leg is still swollen, just not as bad. She still has her thigh muscles showing through the broken skin. I've been keeping Bactrine and Neosporin on it, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I will be taking her to the vet on Saturday as an emergency visit (due to me not getting paid til Friday). Anyone have any other ideas that I could do to facilitate healing that I'm not already doing?? She ate a cricket the other day.. I would greatly appreciate any help!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Improvement is good. Keep applying the treatment. Keep the hospital tank clean as much as possible to prevent further problems. You may want to hand feed to prevent any unnecessary movement.

DisguisedMadness

Quote Originally Posted by tgampper View Post
    Improvement is good. Keep applying the treatment. Keep the hospital tank clean as much as possible to prevent further problems. You may want to hand feed to prevent any unnecessary movement.
    I'm def keeping the cage clean, but I had to move her back into the regular tank.. She flipped out (and I mean FLIPPED out) in that tank. Did not like it all and because of that she started to jump around alot and bang her nose on the top of the cage (because all I have is this little small carrier for now) and it was leaving marks.. I didn't want her to hurt herself even more so I put her back into the tank with him.. -.-

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

OK, you are doing the right thing, reducing the stress, whatever te frog wants

DisguisedMadness

**********UPDATE***********

Took little miss to the vet tonight. She has fluid in her abdomen (which I hadn't noticed) her other leg was starting to swell, and her poor leg looked aweful. Turns out she has worms and a bacterial infection AND I was using the wrong kind of water on her this WHOLE time!!!! Vet was super nice and gave me the meds for free. He said she could have kidney disease, but the wrong water and the infections could be why her abdomen is swollen..

Nationality
    [United States]

Poor baby! What kind of water were you using?
    And what is the prognosis?

DisguisedMadness

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisnide View Post
    Poor baby! What kind of water were you using?
    And what is the prognosis?
    Doc's said that if it's just the infection, medicine and force feeding will help her heal in about 3 months.. If it's kidney disease, then the prognosis is not good.. Maybe a week.. So let's pray that the change of water and meds help. I was using bottled drinking water instead of spring water.

Nationality
    [United States]

Sounds like you are on the right track. The hardest part of dealing with these guys is they take forever to heal, so you just have to hang in there. Fortunately, you seem to have a vet that has a clue about herps, so that is good, as well as one that cares enough to help you out. Let's hope that it isn't the kidneys and you can get through this.

18. This member thanks Purrdoc for this post:

DisguisedMadness

Quote Originally Posted by Purrdoc View Post
    Sounds like you are on the right track. The hardest part of dealing with these guys is they take forever to heal, so you just have to hang in there. Fortunately, you seem to have a vet that has a clue about herps, so that is good, as well as one that cares enough to help you out. Let's hope that it isn't the kidneys and you can get through this.
    I really hope she gets better soon. I had to drive to a vet 2 hrs away but he was incredible.. At first he thought with the fluid in her abdomen that it would be a good idea to put her down (because we could not afford the labs and whatnot) but then he lanced her other leg to see if there was a parasite. There was a flatworm in there, which gave us some hope that it's the bug and not kidney failure. So he sent her home with meds and told me to keep her on brown paper towels til she heals.. I really, REALLY hope this works.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hang in there. It is unfortunate that there aren't more vets that are willing to treat herps. I'm in Southern California, and it amazes me how far people travel to come see us with their exotic pets. I'm glad you were able to find someone and make the trip- it sounds like it was worth it. It would be really nice if you might be able to give him some updates over the phone, just to let him know how she is doing- better, worse, or the same. Just leave a message that you are calling with an update so he knows the progress. So much of what we do is uncharted territory and we lose our patients to follow up, so it is nice to know what works and doesn't work.

Good luck and keep us posted.

DisguisedMadness

Quote Originally Posted by Purrdoc View Post
    Hang in there. It is unfortunate that there aren't more vets that are willing to treat herps. I'm in Southern California, and it amazes me how far people travel to come see us with their exotic pets. I'm glad you were able to find someone and make the trip- it sounds like it was worth it. It would be really nice if you might be able to give him some updates over the phone, just to let him know how she is doing- better, worse, or the same. Just leave a message that you are calling with an update so he knows the progress. So much of what we do is uncharted territory and we lose our patients to follow up, so it is nice to know what works and doesn't work.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Oh I definitely will!! I told him that when I can afford to, I'm gonna bring her back for a followup and checkup. I just gave her the first dose of oral meds for the worms and she didn't like that at all!! She kept acting as though she wanted to throw it back up (it didn't come tho, thank god) We also put silvadine on her leg to promote healing of that leg.. I'm gonna take pics next time I administer it to check progress. I need to force feed her the crickets, but I'm not sure how she would do it and I'm scared of accidentally choking her.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am glad that the vet found the cause of your frog's swelling. Hopefully there isn't any kidney damage. Bottled drinking water doesn't have the "salts" and other chemicals that frogs need. Reverse osmosis is the typical method of creating bottled water but the process takes away vital minerals. Spring water may not be any better since you don't really know where the water comes from. Most frog keepers use regular tap water with a good quality water conditioner like Stress-Coat.

You may want to print Frog Forum - Basic Frog First Aid for your vet. It outlines treatments for common frog diseases. Good luck and hope your frog gets well soon

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DisguisedMadness View Post
    Oh I definitely will!! I told him that when I can afford to, I'm gonna bring her back for a followup and checkup. I just gave her the first dose of oral meds for the worms and she didn't like that at all!! She kept acting as though she wanted to throw it back up (it didn't come tho, thank god) We also put silvadine on her leg to promote healing of that leg.. I'm gonna take pics next time I administer it to check progress. I need to force feed her the crickets, but I'm not sure how she would do it and I'm scared of accidentally choking her.
    In order to force feed your frog you'll need to use a credit card or little shopper card. You'll use the card to gentley open her mouth. Have the cricket ready in the other hand. When her mouth opens quickly and carefully place the cricket in her mouth and she will do the rest. This may take a couple tries but don't get discouraged. Preferably this should be done with 2 people one to watch and keep the frog still and the other to feed. This isn't as difficult as it sounds. It is stressful for the frog as well just be very patient.

Nationality
    [United States]

I know what you mean about not liking the medications. I thought cats were dramatic until I gave my frog doxycycline. Frogs do NOT like raspberry!! Talk about a drama queen!! I thought I had killed him the way he carried on! It was almost comical how he kept wiping his mouth, sticking his tongue out, making all kinds of nasty motions to register his displeasure. I really felt bad for the little guy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information