Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please Help!!!! Swollen leg!!

DisguisedMadness

Default Re: Please Help!!!! Swollen leg!!

Quote Originally Posted by Purrdoc View Post
    I know what you mean about not liking the medications. I thought cats were dramatic until I gave my frog doxycycline. Frogs do NOT like raspberry!! Talk about a drama queen!! I thought I had killed him the way he carried on! It was almost comical how he kept wiping his mouth, sticking his tongue out, making all kinds of nasty motions to register his displeasure. I really felt bad for the little guy!
    LOL That's what she did... She kept looking like she was going to throw up.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DisguisedMadness

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    In order to force feed your frog you'll need to use a credit card or little shopper card. You'll use the card to gentley open her mouth. Have the cricket ready in the other hand. When her mouth opens quickly and carefully place the cricket in her mouth and she will do the rest. This may take a couple tries but don't get discouraged. Preferably this should be done with 2 people one to watch and keep the frog still and the other to feed. This isn't as difficult as it sounds. It is stressful for the frog as well just be very patient.
    We used a guitar pick instead of a credit card.. It worked though.. Took 10 tries as she had already had her mouth opened earlier for meds. But she kept the crickets down!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by DisguisedMadness View Post
    We used a guitar pick instead of a credit card.. It worked though.. Took 10 tries as she had already had her mouth opened earlier for meds. But she kept the crickets down!!
    That's good. Becareful with the pick. That might fit right in her mouth. Has softer edges than a credit card though. You can try chunks of night crawlers as well. They're more nutritious. Also make sure you dust the food items just as you would if she were eating normally. Shell need the vitamins and calcium to help with he recovery. Hope all goes well.

DisguisedMadness

That's good. Becareful with the pick. That might fit right in her mouth. Has softer edges than a credit card though. You can try chunks of night crawlers as well. They're more nutritious. Also make sure you dust the food items just as you would if she were eating normally. Shell need the vitamins and calcium to help with he recovery. Hope all goes well.
    I just had to look up what nightcrawlers were.. -.- These frogs are my first experience with exotic pets, and I've had them for a long time. I've never been able to afford to do the stuff I'm able to do now.. I've been looking into getting them roaches and mealworms too.

DisguisedMadness

Name:  IMG_20111210_174803.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  71.8 KBName:  IMG_20111212_183922.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  54.2 KBName:  IMG_20111212_183849.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  41.1 KBName:  IMG_20111212_183841.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  42.9 KBName:  IMG_20111212_183801.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  48.7 KBName:  IMG_20111212_183737.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  30.8 KBName:  IMG_20111212_183544.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  47.8 KBName:  IMG_20111212_184011.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  60.0 KB

These are some pics of both frogs.. Frogette is the green one and as you can see, she's very thin and frail compared to Frogger.

Also this is what her leg looks like now.
    Name:  IMG_20111212_183655.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  44.9 KB

I'm really hoping to see improvment in the next month...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [United States]

I do wish you the best of luck. I had to save one of my Pacmans from dying. She got sick an quit eating it took me over 2 months to nurse her back to health. Now she's just fine and eats good. Not as aggressively as she did when she was a baby but she eats large meals and is good for a day or 2. Always wash your hand really well before handling your frogs. The oils and residues on our hands are bad for them. They are both very cute frogs.

8. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

DisguisedMadness

I do wish you the best of luck. I had to save one of my Pacmans from dying. She got sick an quit eating it took me over 2 months to nurse her back to health. Now she's just fine and eats good. Not as aggressively as she did when she was a baby but she eats large meals and is good for a day or 2. Always wash your hand really well before handling your frogs. The oils and residues on our hands are bad for them. They are both very cute frogs.
    Pacmans are sooo cute!! I was looking up different frog calls on Youtube and found a video of a very angry pacman and it was growling and almost barking. I know it was irritated, but it was so funny! I also love the call of the Golden Poison Dart. I also happened to run across a video of a bullfrog doing his distress call (which was very much like shrieking) and thought it was funny too, but the way those people were handling it made me sick.. Poor frogs.. A lot are misunderstood and no one knows how to handle them or to just leave them alone!!! The only time I would get a frog is if I bought it at the pet store or if it's a rescue.. I've rescued Bufo's before and released them after they healed.. But I've never had to medicate one or anything like I have to do my Whites.

Nationality
    [United States]

There are so many people out there who mistreat their pets. It is always sad to see such things and it makes it worse when they video it. Their calls and other sounds they make are funny. They will bite if threatened as well. Pacmans and African Bull Frogs have farely large teeth and their bite can be quite painful. Most videos that show the mistreatment of their frogs are flagged by members of this forum.

DisguisedMadness

I don't blame them for flagging it!! It's wrong on so many levels.. Now the vids I watched of the pacman, the person was just putting thier finger up to the glass and apparently this little frog seemed to get really upset about it!! I didn't know frogs had teeth..

Nationality
    [United States]

Yep. Even your Whites have teeth. There is a post on the forum in the Pacman frog section called "Teeth". You should take a look at it. Has photos of Pacman frog teeth.

13. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

DisguisedMadness

I do believe I will check that out.. I force fed Frogette another cricket today.. She almost spit it back out, but I was able to get her to swallow it..

Nationality
    [United States]

I do believe I will check that out.. I force fed Frogette another cricket today.. She almost spit it back out, but I was able to get her to swallow it..
    You might want to try worms. They're alittle easier for her to swallow. They can be very difficult when you're trying to force feed them. Ofcourse non of us would like our mouths forced open and food shoved in either. You feed her during her normal feeding time right?

Nationality
    [United States]

Just read your whole thread and imagine what your frog and yourself have gone through. Hang in there and good luck; hope frog recovers soon!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

17. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

DisguisedMadness

Thank you.. We are sticking strictly to the regimen of cleaning, putting the ointment on the wound, forcing meds and crickets, and monitoring humidity and temperature levels (which is hard to do with brown paper towels as a substrate!!) and she is putting up with it pretty decently considering.

Nationality
    [United States]

I agree with the trying the worms (earthworms/night crawlers) over crickets. I think they will be easier to feed and be a bit easier to digest for what your froggy is going through right now. You can cut them up into pieces to make it easier. What medications are you giving? If they are ones that are injectable that you draw up with a needle and syringe then give orally (without the needle), you can inject it into the worm to make things easier for you. If it is just a regular liquid oral solution, it doesn't work.

DisguisedMadness

Quote Originally Posted by Purrdoc View Post
    I agree with the trying the worms (earthworms/night crawlers) over crickets. I think they will be easier to feed and be a bit easier to digest for what your froggy is going through right now. You can cut them up into pieces to make it easier. What medications are you giving? If they are ones that are injectable that you draw up with a needle and syringe then give orally (without the needle), you can inject it into the worm to make things easier for you. If it is just a regular liquid oral solution, it doesn't work.
    The meds are the liquid oral meds.. I do have to give it to her in a syringe, but unfortunately there's no needle so I can't inject it into her food. I'm def gonna get some nightcrawlers as soon as I get paid again because with the powder on the crickets it seems as though she's having a little bit of a tough time getting the cricket to go down. I've been giving her the smaller ones, as I don't want to overwhelm her system. And I've been feeding her one every other day.. Poor thing doesn't have an appetite at all!!

Nationality
    [United States]

The meds are the liquid oral meds.. I do have to give it to her in a syringe, but unfortunately there's no needle so I can't inject it into her food. I'm def gonna get some nightcrawlers as soon as I get paid again because with the powder on the crickets it seems as though she's having a little bit of a tough time getting the cricket to go down. I've been giving her the smaller ones, as I don't want to overwhelm her system. And I've been feeding her one every other day.. Poor thing doesn't have an appetite at all!!
    Just like us when they become ill or are severly injured appetite lose is almost always a common reaction. The only way to keep them from starving is to force feed. I had to do the same thing to my female Pacman Grif. She didn't like the meds either. I did feed her a high calorie cat/dog food through a seringe. She actually liked that a lot and would willingly allow me to open her mouth when she saw what was in the seringe. Very easy for her to swallow and digest.

DisguisedMadness

Just like us when they become ill or are severly injured appetite lose is almost always a common reaction. The only way to keep them from starving is to force feed. I had to do the same thing to my female Pacman Grif. She didn't like the meds either. I did feed her a high calorie cat/dog food through a seringe. She actually liked that a lot and would willingly allow me to open her mouth when she saw what was in the seringe. Very easy for her to swallow and digest.
    Could I actually give that to my Whites?? That would be awesome and probably better for her right now!

Nationality
    [United States]

Could I actually give that to my Whites?? That would be awesome and probably better for her right now!
    Yes they are a carnivor/insectivor so they can eat it. Look for the brand "Royal Canine". It needs to be one for malnurished animals and it has to be the solid lump canned food. Not the shredded or chopped. Otherwise you can't suck it up into the seringe. You'll keep it in the fridge and the only problem is it lasts only for about a week then you have to throw it out. When you use it make sure its warmed first. All you have to do is get a small glass and fill it with warm de-chlorinated water. Then set the filled seringe in the water and th food will be warmed. Be careful when squeezing the food out in her mouth. Just do about half the seringe at a time. You'll still want to give her crickets and worms between uses of the canned food so she is still geting a varied diet and her normal food. Plus you can't dust the canned food. Lol! that would be difficult.

DisguisedMadness

Yes they are a carnivor/insectivor so they can eat it. Look for the brand "Royal Canine". It needs to be one for malnurished animals and it has to be the solid lump canned food. Not the shredded or chopped. Otherwise you can't suck it up into the seringe. You'll keep it in the fridge and the only problem is it lasts only for about a week then you have to throw it out. When you use it make sure its warmed first. All you have to do is get a small glass and fill it with warm de-chlorinated water. Then set the filled seringe in the water and th food will be warmed. Be careful when squeezing the food out in her mouth. Just do about half the seringe at a time. You'll still want to give her crickets and worms between uses of the canned food so she is still geting a varied diet and her normal food. Plus you can't dust the canned food. Lol! that would be difficult.
    LOL that would be difficult!! I do believe I'm gonna give that a try. Last night I got so excited because she got up and sat in her water dish for a while. She had been just sleeping all the time!! I hope this is a good sign!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information