Thread: New Big-Eyed Tree Frog Owner - Questions!

Menzies

Default New Big-Eyed Tree Frog Owner - Questions!

I picked up a juvenile Big Eyed a couple days ago and I've been doing research on how to keep the little guy happy and healthy but I'm still lacking the knowledge I'd like to know about them.

What is their desired Temp and Humidity?
    Do they stay burrowed for days at a time?
    I want to add Nightcrawlers to the substrate, will they try to eat them? Are they a choking hazard?
    What size of tank is adequate for one juvenile?
    What size crickets should I feed him?
    Is it safe to stick another baby/juvenile Big Eyed with my current one?
    My Big Eyed seems to be verrrry shy to its new surroundings, will he warm up to his enclosure over time?

I know this topic is question heavy but any answer or information will help! I want to be a good owner for this little guy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Menzies

So no one can give me a little info about these small frogs?

Poly

Default Re: New Big-Eyed Tree Frog Owner - Questions!

Generally you should research this information out BEFORE you purchase the frog/amphibian so you know how to have a proper enclosure set-up for it.

Since I can't seem to find a care sheet for it, I'm going to take a stab at answering some of the questions, keep in mind, I don't have a BETF...

Most tree-frogs need a temperature of 20-30C (70-80F). Most amphibians in general need 60-80% humidity in their vivariums, so for your BETF, I would go with the high 70s.

Not sure about the burrowing, but I don't think a tree frog should be burrowing?

Nightcrawlers are fine to add to the substrate, the frog may try to eat, or may not, either way, nightcrawlers are fine for all frogs (well, maybe not darts ). No choking hazard, a small frog won't be able to eat a nightcrawler much larger than itself anyway, so don't worry about it.

How large is the juvenile? What are you currently keeping it in? For now, a 10 gallon with lots of climbing objects should be fine.

A general rule to tell appropriate sized food is the feeder insects should be the size of the space between your frogs eyes. So for a 5mm space, go with 5mm long crickets.

As long as the juveniles are close to the same size, it is fine, but the new frog should have a 30-60 day quarantine period before being put in with the current juvenile so no diseases or parasites (if any) are passed.

Yes, it will start to get used to their new enclosure in time.

Hope that helps!

~Royce

Menzies

I've done plenty of research prior to buying these little guys but all the research I come up with is always mixed answers.. So I just wanted to get an updated clarification on how these species are kept happy. He's out and about now, sleeping underneath some foliage. He's not very active in general but he does hunt his crickets and bath in his dish from time to time. The humidity is in the mid 70's. The only problem I'm having is keeping the temp up, and the blizzard outside isn't helping.. Other then the temperature everything seems to be a-okay on this end, I'm going out to purchase a tiny space heater for their room, it's not fair they should freeze to death because of a few degrees difference.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Menzies View Post
    I've done plenty of research prior to buying these little guys but all the research I come up with is always mixed answers.. So I just wanted to get an updated clarification on how these species are kept happy. He's out and about now, sleeping underneath some foliage. He's not very active in general but he does hunt his crickets and bath in his dish from time to time. The humidity is in the mid 70's. The only problem I'm having is keeping the temp up, and the blizzard outside isn't helping.. Other then the temperature everything seems to be a-okay on this end, I'm going out to purchase a tiny space heater for their room, it's not fair they should freeze to death because of a few degrees difference.
    They will not "freeze to death" because of "a few degrees difference" in temperature, it will just make them uncomfortable, and they may stop eating.

A space heater is good for their room, but for their enclosure, a heat pad is best, you can get them in small or large wattages, and they do not consume much electricity. Also, for tree-frogs, you MUST have a bottom mounting heat pad, because if you were to stick the heat pad to the side of the their enclosure, it could burn the frog.

A good Exo-Terra or Zoo-Med 10-15 Watt Heat pad will work nicely to keep them warm. What size of enclosure are they housed in?

Thread Information