Thread: Just got a RETF for the first time,give me pointers please!

Duuuhhh

Talking Just got a RETF for the first time,give me pointers please!

I read that you should just pretend they dont even have them for the first week or so. I have two, the temp at night is a 60-65 at night 70 at day.humidity is about 50%. Tank size is about 10 gallon.ALL live plants water bowl, vines to climb on and moss that covers 70% of the eco earth. i know they hate bright lights but i live in Washing state it gets about 32-40 degrees at night so i have to keep the viewing/heat lamp on.There are these white spots on them but im sure there nothing.

So give me all the pointers you have . I will answer any question about my tank if you need to know! Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Just got a RETF for the first time,give me pointers please!

Hello and welcome to the community!
    There are a few things that comes to mind when reading your post:

1. 60-65 F is really low, even at night. The daytime temperature also needs boost, but the 60 F is a real, immediate concern. An UTH (Under Tank Heater) used on one side of the tank is one option. Light bulbs (either visible or non-visible) are other options.

2. Humidity is low as well. These are from the rain forest, where the humidity is much higher than 50%. Increase it to at least 75% and keep it there. Two examples of keeping the humidity at decent levels are: Using a fogger or a mister, or spraying multiple times daily.

3. 10 gallon for two red eyed tree frogs are really small. I would only use a ten gallon as a short term quarantine tank, if anything. Also, remember that dimensions are more important than volume, so to speak, since height is very important when housing tree frogs.

4. And yes, you should not disturb them at all for the first 30 days or so (only changing the water etc. at day, when they are asleep, but this is how it always should be done). Covering 3 sides of the tank with something dark makes them feel secure and "at home" faster. After the 30 days, remove the covers a little bit every day or every other day, to make the transition as smooth as possible.
    However, the "do not pretend that you have them"-part is quite accurate all the time when housing red eyes (even after the first month). Sure, you can watch them at night (if you do it without disturbing they day/night-cycle), but they are supposed to just chill in their terrarium, minding the own business.

When getting an animal of any kinds, you need to research first, setup the proper housing conditions (in this case, the terrarium) and lastly buy the animal, when you have all the information needed and the home is all done. It's great that you made this post so you can start working on making it better, but "Research -> terrarium setup -> frog purchase" is the way to do it.

I hope your frog gets a long and healthy life in you care!

4. This member thanks ViperJr for this post:

Duuuhhh

viper jr thanks! I was unclear on my tank size its actually 10x15x10. I raised the temp and humidity and got woken up in them middle of the night to here one of them croaking! There moving around as I type Thanks! BTW, I would never get an animal then not research how to keep it, i was just unclear.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Duuuhhh View Post
    viper jr thanks! I was unclear on my tank size its actually 10x15x10. I raised the temp and humidity and got woken up in them middle of the night to here one of them croaking! There moving around as I type Thanks! BTW, I would never get an animal then not research how to keep it, i was just unclear.
    I'm not sure which dimension is what, but if it's just 10" high (I'm assuming this since the height is generally at the end), I suggest you get a taller (and bigger overall) terrarium ASAP.

I typed the thing about research, since it didn't seem very informed to have red eyes in very small 60 F, 50% humidity tank.
    I would never get an animal then not research how to keep it
    Well, that's my point. Do the search, then get the animal, not the other way around.

Anyway, the moving and croaking sounds good! They generally climb around and stay very active the first few days, like they are exploring the tank. After that first phase, they often (but not always) stay very hidden for some time (anywhere from a few days to a month), before they start their "normal" behavior.

(Please note: I bolded "then" in the quote to highlight my point. It was not there in the original post. Just so no-one thinks I'm editing quotations in an unfair manner.)

Duuuhhh

Alright thanks, gotta go to my college until 12:00. I found a picture of the tank size for ya. http://s.bazar.at/terrarien-10-2ed20000-uc6t_m.jpg

Thread Information