Thread: What's Normal?

Default What's Normal?

I got a pacman two days ago, and he seems really inactive. I know these frogs are pretty lazy, but what's normal? He won't eat either, but I'm not too worried about that yet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

IvoryReptiles

Default Re: What's Normal?

Lots of questions before anyone can give any advice.

How big is the frog?
    What is the enclosure like? (Space, substrate, humidity, temps)
    What foods are you offering?
    Are you dechlorinating the water?
    Are you dusting the foods?
    What supplements are you using?
    Where did you get the frog from?

Pics would help also. Plenty of folks here will be glad to help, we just need some info!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

They are also nocturnal so they aren't really active until night time. You should be leaving the frog alone during the day and try feeding at night. Answer all that Jessica has asked and post pictures most definetly. Then we can beeter help you.

Like I said, I got it two days ago, and it was like that when I got it. So it isn't anything I'm doing.

Nationality
    [United States]

Try soaking the frog in luke warmde-chlorinated water no deeper than the frogs chin. Put about 3 drops of honey in the water and disolve it. Then place the frog in. Be very careful and make sure not to injure him/her. Soak the frog for about 10 minutes. Then place the frog back in its enclosure. Wait another 5 to 10 minutes and try to feed the frog. Break the hind legs off the crickets so they're slower. Do you have 3 sides of the encloser covered with a background? What are your temps? What level is the humidity at?

Hey, thanks.

The temp. is about 75 and humidity I'm guessing is about 60%.

Nationality
    [United States]

Your temp is to low and the humidity as well. The temp during the day needs to be 80 to 82 night time should be 77 to 79. Humidity needs to be 70 to 80%. Get the temps up and humidity and you frog should start eating.

Are they really that sensitive?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by n321 View Post
    Are they really that sensitive?
    Yes they can be. Amphibians are exremely sensitive to the conditions within their environment. If their conditions are not correct it can cause stress which will cause them not to eat. Also improper conditions can cause health issues as well. They need heat to metabolize and digest their food. If they don't have proper heat they can't properly digest their food. Humidity is a dire need for these frogs as they are tropical. Lack of correct humidity can cause them stress and make them not eat. It also will cause them to have bad sheds and become dehydrated and health issues. You must and I mean MUST! give your frog the correct environment or it may become ill and die. This is why we here stress that you do research on your frog before you buy it so you can give it a proper home. Do what was said and you should get results. Keep us posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

Keep in mind that frogs are not warm blooded like us. They are dependent to their environments. If their environments are not providing what they need, they will migrate to an appropriate area if they do not become ill or die first. When we house our frogs they cannot move to a different location as to correct improper conditions. They are dependent on what we provide for them whether healthy for them or not.

The forum members above are well educated on frog care and housing. They are offering you some excellent and needed advice . Take from them as much as you can and your frog will thrive .

Good luck and keep us posted. There are good care tips all throughout this forum. Hop around and see what you can find!

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Well it died last night. I think it was sick when I got it, because it was very inactive.

I've been keeping amphibians bascially my whole life, and most of them have lived several years. So I know what I'm doing, and I consider myself a responsible pet owner. This was the fault of the guy I bought it from.

I got it from Backwater Reptiles. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. I got an Asian Black-spined toad that died the day after I bought it.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by n321 View Post
    Well it died last night. I think it was sick when I got it, because it was very inactive.

I've been keeping amphibians bascially my whole life, and most of them have lived several years. So I know what I'm doing, and I consider myself a responsible pet owner. This was the fault of the guy I bought it from.

I got it from Backwater Reptiles. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. I got an Asian Black-spined toad that died the day after I bought it.
    I'm very sorry to hear that. We hate to hear this kind of thing and believe me this kind of post is made several times a month through out the forum. Not saying it was your fault but not having the proper temps and humidity pushed its passing faster and reduced chances of recovery. I hope the next purchase of a Pacman is from a more reputable source and that you have a perfect setup for the little frog when he/she arrives. Again I am sorry for your loss. Maybe you should see if you can order from Jessica of Ivory Reptiles. You will receive a frog in perfect health from her.

Thread Information