Thread: Frog won't close his mouth all the way???

Gene

Default Frog won't close his mouth all the way???

I posted a couple months back because my frog had a prolapsed stomach. I was able to gently push it back in but he's never really been the same since. His eyes are clear, temp stays between 75F-80F and humidity is around 65% (I can't seem to get it higher). Anyway, the main thing I've noticed is that his mouth doesn't close all the way. I've looked inside his mouth and his stomach is no longer prolapsed but it's almost like the inside of his mouth is a little swollen or something; or that's probably just the way it looks normally. He hasn't had much interest in food either. He no longer goes after crickets so I stopped putting them in there about a month ago. Now I feed him a meal worm or two every day or sometimes every other day. I dust them with calcium powder too. A few times I've had to force feed him. I push the food against his mouth gently and he'll open his mouth, then I just place the worm in there and he'll slowly eat it. He moves around in the tank a little but usually just stays on the heating pad side. He doesn't look like he's lost weight but he also doesn't look like he's getting any bigger and I feel like he should be bigger for his age. He's about the size of a golf ball, maybe a little smaller and he's about 9-10 months old as far as I know. I'm getting concerned and I really don't want to have to take him to the vet because I know it will be expensive. If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: Frog won't close his mouth all the way???

I am guessing hypocalcemia, possibly with some edema. In other words this animal needs to see a vet.

Gene

is this something you've encountered before?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Kurt is right. This is not something that you can just treat with household items. Your frog needs to see a vet soon. If you wait too long he/she may be stunted more and not grow any larger at all or develope worse issues later on. Meal worms should only be given as a treat. Feeding them to him/her everyday can result in a possible impaction. You can try crickets still while force feeding and try red wigglers. Even when ill they need a diverse diet. It may be expensive but you frogs life may very well depend on seeing a vet soon. I hope he/she recovers soon. Don't forget to dust the frogs food still. He/she will need the calcium and vitamins.

IvoryReptiles

The frog needs to be seen by a vet. You should NOT be feeding mealworms that often, if at all.
    The frog already had a prolapsed stomach and you are feeding it the most difficult item to digest???
    I know many of us gave you advice before.....if you don't really want the advice and plan to ignore it and do whatever you feel like doing......why bother asking for it?
    Try feeding the frog proper sized bits of earthworm/nightcrawlers and dust them only every 3rd feeding. Too much supplements can be just as detrimental as not enough.

Good luck to the frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Also from the picture at the bottom it would appear that your frogs substrate is way too wet. It needs to be moist not mud. There should never be standing water beneath the substrate as well. The water will become stagnant and harm the frog. You can cover 3/4 of the top of the frogs enclosure with plastic wrap to help hold in humidity and heat.. Make sure if you're using a heat lamp that you don't set it directly over the plastic. Pehaps your hygrometer is faulty as well. If its an analog gauge they sometimes lose calibration and won't read any higher. Look into buying a digital one or look for gauges that all read alike and choose one. You'll have to change out the frogs soil. It is not good for them to be in conditions that are completely soaked. What are your temps?

Gene

I've been doing some more research and just as kurt said, it appears as though it may be hypocalcemia as one of the symptoms is inability to close the lower jaw. I've always dusted his food with calcium/d3 powder but maybe it just wasn't enough. Do you think I could treat it myself with some kind of liquid calcium drops or something. If I have to bring him to the vet I will but I can't afford to pay them to tell me something that I could easily do on my own (if possible).

As far as the humidity goes Grif, I mist the tank very often and it has left the substrate very wet as you can see. I have foil covering the screen top with a hole cut out for the light. The temp is right around 82F but the humidity stays around 60% which is hard to believe because the substrate is so damn wet; I would think that would be evaporating. Maybe you're right about the gauge because it is just a cheap zilla analog.

Nationality
    [United States]

I had one of those gauges before. If its the dual gauge that has the temp and hygrometer together in a single unit. It was only good for a few months then I had to buy a new one. Buy a digital one. You'll have to change the frogs substrate. It will make your frog worse if you don't. Your frog can't eat properly with its jaw like that. You could try liquid calcium but if the jaw is stuck that way I don see how it would be a good idea to home treat him/her at this point since its been like this for so long. I still think a vet trip is necissary. They could give you much better meds for your frog than you can provide. Plus give you an idea or even a food source for your frog that is easily administered and swallowed by the frog without choking the poor thing. It may not be as expensive as you think. Swap out the subtrate for fresh moist not mud and yes while your waiting to see the vet treat the frog with liquid calcium. Couldn't hurt unless you over do it. Keep us posted.

I'm impressed that you actually researched the disease. Most people don't even do that.

Gene

Thanks for the advice Grif, I've been trying to do a lot of research. I only post on here when I can't find the answer on my own. I'm gonna give the vet a call, I just hope you're right about it not being too expensive. Money's tight enough with the holidays coming up.

Nationality
    [United States]

Pacmans are considered an exotic pet and most vets that treat amphibians charge a 45 dallor charge just for the exotic pet fee. The meds aren't always that expensive. Now X-Rays and other radiology tests and blood work (depending on what they're testing for) can get pricey. Hpefully it doesn't come to that. Even though it can be expensive these pets are worth saving and are very fulfilling. Once you get to know you Pac and its personality you'll grow to love him/her more. Especially when they learn to trust you. Best of luck to you and your frog. I hope he/she gets the help he/she needs.

IvoryReptiles

Believe me, I know how expensive things can get. Lucky for us down here in SE Texas, that we have a vet who specializes in reptiles & amphibians and cares enough for the animals that he will give us a break especially when we walk in with 50 frogs at a time.

You can try to maybe put a drop or two (ONLY a drop or two!!) into his soaking bowl and see if it helps any. We have done this but it was with the vets advice. We did it for a frog we had rescued and it's jaw did straighten up some, but it was never perfect. Good Luck!!

julsShaw

Hope he or she gets better

Thread Information