Thread: Weekly Update on My Wood Frog Vocalization Experiment :)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Weekly Update on My Wood Frog Vocalization Experiment :)

Here is an update on my experiment involving Wood frog vocalizations, I apologize that I didn’t update you all sooner, but with the recent death of one my wood frogs involved with this experiment, I had to put it on hold. Here are the results from my first trial, Test A, Frog 6 (aka Lil’ Porker). For those of you not familiar with my experiment, here is a link to the post:http://www.frogforum.net/frogs/10993...xperiment.html Enjoy .

+Final Report for Frog 6, Test A

During the first four days of the experiment, the frog was left to acclimate to the new surroundings. The temperature was maintained between 49-54F, the humidity between 50-75%, and the lighting was left on for about 10 hours each day, (conditions similar to the breeding season). The frog adjusted to the new conditions beautifully and did not display any signs of major stress. The frog continued to eat and digest normally. The frog also buried itself into the moss and was sluggish in movements (i.e. was slow to react when any crickets would pass by); these were the only two major behavioral changes observed.

After the acclimation process, the frog was then exposed to a series of Wood frog vocalizations for three days. These calls were played during 11:00am to 1:00pm and during 10:00pm to 12:00am. These are the times in which Wood frog vocalization is most active during the mating season, in late April and early May here in Fairbanks, AK. During this time the following observations were noted:

+Day 5 (11/25/11): Frog was given 2 crickets, both were consumed; the light was left on for 12hrs. Today I began the vocalization test (Test A). 11:00a-1:00p report: Vocalization CD was played near the frog's tank. On track 2, the frog perked up and its vocal sacs appeared to be swollen, but no sound was heard. Phonotaxis was not observed. 10:00p-12:0)a report: No phonotaxis; frog stayed in one location all day.

+Day 6 (11/26/11): The frog was given 2 crickets at approx 8:00, one in which was observed to be eaten. The light was left on for 10.5 hrs. Report for 11:00a-1:00p: No phonotaxis was observed and the frog did not respond with calls of his own. The frog remained in the same location throughout the whole test. 10:00p-12:00a report: The frog did become alert and poked its head out of the moss, however, no phonotaxis was observed and no calls were made.

+Day 7 (11/27/11): Of the two crickets given, one was observed to be eaten. Light was remained on for 10hrs. Report for 11:00am-1:00pm: The frog remained in the same location as the previous day. No phonotaxis was observed and no vocalizations were heard. The frog did not show signs of alertness either. 10:00p-12:00a report: No vocalizations were recorded and no phonotaxis was observed.

What are my thoughts: What I previously predicted (that the frog would display phonotaxis and respond with calls of his own) did not fall through. It may be that the frog thought it was time to hibernate or that Wood frogs will only vocalize during a precise barometric pressure level. I would like to compare the barometric pressure levels displayed earlier during the mating season with the ones maintained during the experiment. I also hope to establish a pattern of some sort to help adjust my experiment for future trials. However, these thoughts are to be treated as immature until the entire experiment is complete and results can be compared further.
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

LazyEyedFroggie

Default Re: Weekly Update on My Wood Frog Vocalization Experiment :)

Keep us updated!!

Poly

On Day 5, you state "its vocal sacs appeared to be swollen", my toads do this just before they croak, so perhaps your Wood Frog was about to call, but is it possible that you may of startled it?

Great Expariment Autumn!

Definitely keep us updated!

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LazyEyedFroggie View Post
    Keep us updated!!
    Haha, you betcha ;D!

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    On Day 5, you state "its vocal sacs appeared to be swollen", my toads do this just before they croak, so perhaps your Wood Frog was about to call, but is it possible that you may of startled it?

Great Expariment Autumn!

Definitely keep us updated!
    Thank you! Haha yes, that is a definitely a possibility….. I have observed this too with previous Wood frogs that I have had and with Wood frogs in the wild .
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

LazyEyedFroggie

Maybe you could use a video camera instead of actually being there so they feel more secure?

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LazyEyedFroggie View Post
    Maybe you could use a video camera instead of actually being there so they feel more secure?
    Actually, I do use a video camera in addition to a sound senor recorder. I only observe the moring trials (from 11:00am to 12:00pm) and record the experiment via these devices. However, I try to stay away from the set up as much as possible to reduce stress. The only times I am near the experimental set-up is when I need to restart the Wood frog vocalization CD or when I need to check on a few small details.

For the night trials (10:00pm to 12:00am) I soley rely on these devices to record the experiment ;P.
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Awesome!!!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Awesome!!!
    Haha, yup !!
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Nationality
    [United States]

Great job, Autumn! This is awesome! Can't wait to see what happens next .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    Great job, Autumn! This is awesome! Can't wait to see what happens next .
    Thanks Heather !! Me too!!
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Other updates:

Frog 5 (Lil' Porker) has croaked a few times this past week. Here is a record of vocalization activity:

12/23/11: 2 croaks in the morning at 6:45 am. Temperature was 65F, humidity unknown. Snow was in the forecast.
    12/25/11: 2 croaks in the mornig at 6:30 am. Temp/hum unknown :P. There was heavy snow that day.
    12/27/11: 5 chirps in the afternoon (between 12:30 am and 1:00 pm). Unsure if it was Lil' Porker or his tank mate Lil' Piggy (frog 6). Temp was 70F and humidity was 50%. Now snow in forecast, but cold temperatures.

On Monday, 12/26/11, upon spraying the terrarium, Lil' Porker tried to mate with Lil' Piggy. This time, Piggy gave out release calls. Porker let go.
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Poly

Wow Autumn! I missed your last few posts, so much as happened since then! Your frogs seem to be cooperating with you more... Do you find the heavy snow is making them vocalize more frequently? I notice this with my toads, my large male croaks 4-5 times a night now, especially when it's snowing heavily.

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    Wow Autumn! I missed your last few posts, so much as happened since then! Your frogs seem to be cooperating with you more... Do you find the heavy snow is making them vocalize more frequently? I notice this with my toads, my large male croaks 4-5 times a night now, especially when it's snowing heavily.
    Haha, I know! It seems that ever since I completed Test A, the adults (especially Lil' Porker) have been more vocal . Yes, when it snows they tend to vocalize more. However, when it snows heavier than usual, their call intensity is high, (more louder) as opposed to when it snows lightly. They also vocalize when a cold front comes in, bringing negitive degree temps.
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Thread Information