Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50 Gallon Upright Vivarium for Amphibian Inhabitants? Tree Frogs? PDF's?

Poly

Default 50 Gallon Upright Vivarium for Amphibian Inhabitants? Tree Frogs? PDF's?

Hey FrogForum'ers!

So I recently aquired a 50 Gallon Upright Display case... ya, I know it's not an aquarium, but it's just as good!... I mean, c'mon! It's already equiped with over head light sockets, thick glass sides on 3 sides, a mirror on the rear, and a full opening front... PLUS all glas can be removed for easy cleaning!

I'll be sealing it up with GE II silicone, and either replacing the front door glass with plastic mesh or maybe cut a section in the roof?

Either way, I have two questions:

1. What would be a suitable inhabitant? Posion Dart Frog? Tree Frog? It's dimensions are: 64" (162 cm) Tall x 15" (38 cm) Long x 12" (30cm) Wide

I was thinking of getting a Red-Eyed Leaf Frog from this site: Port Credit Pet Centre 65$ isn't thaaat bad... Or maybe a one of these frogs:Other Frogs for Sale | Understory Enterprises (UnderStory only offers two tree frogs)

2. Does this "tank" provide enough space for a Tree frog? I don't think it would be suited very well for Poison Dart frogs...

Thanks!

~Royce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Badger

Default Re: 50 Gallon Upright Vivarium for Amphibian Inhabitants? Tree Frogs? PDF's?

I don't think it would be good for darts either, not enough floor space, but it would be awesome for tree frogs. RETFs, White's, or maybe waxy monkey frogs? I love my whites, they are always smiling and are very laid back.

Kristen

Default Re: 50 Gallon Upright Vivarium for Amphibian Inhabitants? Tree Frogs? PDF's?

I agree with Dalton, tree frogs would be better, and whites are the best

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I don't think it would be good for darts either, not enough floor space, but it would be awesome for tree frogs. RETFs, White's, or maybe waxy monkey frogs? I love my whites, they are always smiling and are very laid back.
    Yeah, I kind of figured that. Tree Frogs it is! I have always wanted a RETF....

Badger

Too bad! We've already determined you're going with WTF's. Lol.

Poly

Haha yeeah... true... I like whites, there sure freaky looking! But you just can't beat the elegance of the mighty RETF! Now I really can't wait to start the viv build!

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Good call on the RETFs Royce!! Sorry Dalton and Kristen!!

Badger

Haha, make a journal so we can see how it comes along. How's the tomato frog viv coming?

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Haha, make a journal so we can see how it comes along. How's the tomato frog viv coming?
    It's done, but now it have an asian painted frog in it instead of a Tomato... :P I forgot to post the rest of the photos.

Badger

Lol, awesome!

Nationality
    [Brazil]
    Blog Entries

RETF or White's tree frog? That would be a tough decision for me :P haha! Can't wait tp see how this project turns out Royce !
    (4.0.0)
    Whites Tree Frog (1.0.0)
    1.1.0 Mixed breed dogs

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by frogluver View Post
    Red-Eyed Leaf Frog or White's tree frog? That would be a tough decision for me :P haha! Can't wait tp see how this project turns out Royce !
    Hmm, yes it would! I found a website that offered many different kinds of tree frogs in Canada (mossy tree frogs, amazon milks, barking tree frogs, cb baby red eyes, etc.) but he just sold the website!

So now I'm very limited to the frogs I can get...

Nationality
    [United States]

Why not a native grey tree frog? Easy to care for, big eaters and well, just plan cute!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Badger

If you go with grays, be warned, their call is LOUD. We get them in our pool, and I can never sleep in the summer. Plus, the pool is like 75 feet away from the house.

Poly

Remember guys... I live in Canada No tree frogs here except Spring Peepers!

Badger

Oh, yeah. I knew that >.<

Hmm...do you know if joshs frogs ships to canada?

Poly

Nope, they don't! No US amphibain suppliers that I've looked into ship to Canada, yet Understory, one of Canada's only dart frog supplier handles all the shipping paperwork for customers who order from the US... -.- Still, I'm glad I can get a RETF here anyway.

Any ideal for a 50"+ tall tree for the center of the viv??

Nationality
    [Canada]

Dieffenbachia or a Rubber Tree of some type might work.

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    Dieffenbachia or a Rubber Tree of some type might work.
    Where would I get one that's over 5 feet tall? I have a Dieffenbachia now, but it's only about 5" tall...

Nationality
    [United States]

I definitely agree, tree frogs would be perfect. Tough choices, I like them all. I'm particularly fond of retf's, but that grey is adorable!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information