Thread: New Pacman, questions!

4mb3r

Default New Pacman, questions!

I just got my baby pacman. He is probably about the size of a half dollar maybe? I just have some questions..
    What size habitat should it be in? I have it in a 6qt(shoebox sized) sterilite container with moss on one side(was given to me this way) and theres a bowl in there for water.
    What is the best substraight to use?
    How old/what size do they gotta be before there sexable?

I am completely new to these guys so any information would be helpful!! Please feel free to mention everything I didnt ask as well. Just wanna make sure im doing the best I can for him!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Pacman, questions!

Nice little Green Cranwelli. Ther is a Pacman care sheet in the care articles section of the forum. Good info to get you started. They need temps between 80 and 85 during the day. For babies stay around 80. At night 75 to 79. Try and stay around 77 to 79. Humidity should be 65 to 80% stay in the 70 to 80% range. Best substrate to use is Zoo Med Eco Earth Coconut fiber substrate. Not coconut husk. A large critter keeper is good to start babys in. Makes it easy for them to catch their food which is crucial at these growth stages. You will also need to pick up a multivitamin supplement dust and a calcium supplement dust with vitamin D3. Dust with the multivitamin once a week and dust with the calcium every other feeding. Dust the food items not the frog. Keep the substrate moist but not muddy. Water must be changed every time the frog enters it otherwise once a day or every 2 days if the frog hasn't used it. Substrate should be changed no less than once a month. You must buy a water conditioner to de-chlorinate the water or the frog will get sick from toxing out.

Use a variety of food items for best health. Crickets/red wigglers/ chunks of earth worm/wax worms(sparingly)/meal worms(sparingly). You'll need a heat source such as a UTH or under tank heater but don't place it on the bottom place it on the side. Make sure its safe for plastic. If not and you want a glass tank you can use a 5 gallon. Place a fake plant within the enclosure as well as covering 3 sides of the tank with some sort of nature background to make the frog feel more secure. You can use a heat lamp as a heat source as well. Buy a lamp with a dimmer switch so you can accurately control the amount of heat and light coming from the bulb. Mist with distilled water to keep humidity levels up.

Again also read the care articles about the Pacman Caresheet. Any more questions just ask and someone here will respond.

Nationality
    [United States]

I almost forgot. When buying a heat bulb don't go any higher than a 50 watt as any higher will be too hot. Don't go lower than 25 watts or it won't produce enough heat.

4mb3r

Thank you!!
    Is it ok to use sterilite containers? I have holes in them, I use them for my younger leopard geckos. he is in a 6qt tub now, but wondered if a 15qt would be 2 big?

IvoryReptiles

The sterilite will be just fine for now. It will suit the frog for a while and once it is large enough to sex (around 7 to 9 months old) he will be good in it. I think a 10 gallon aquarium is plenty enough room for an adult. We use coco fiber as a substrate and make sure all the water you use is dechlorinated and never use distilled water!

4mb3r

Quote Originally Posted by IvoryReptiles View Post
    The sterilite will be just fine for now. It will suit the frog for a while and once it is large enough to sex (around 7 to 9 months old) he will be good in it. I think a 10 gallon aquarium is plenty enough room for an adult. We use coco fiber as a substrate and make sure all the water you use is dechlorinated and never use distilled water!
    Which size sterlite? 6qt or 15qt? Sorry for all the questions lol.. Im gonna pick up some coco fiber a bit later today(I use it for a laying/moist material for my leopard geckos anyways haha!) and I use that Zoomed Repti Safe to use on my geckos drinking water and to spray there moist hide, so I already have something to declorinate the water

4mb3r

A few better pictures!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nationality
    [Armenia]

Nice lookin green cranwelli thanks for sharing !

Nationality
    [United States]

What a cute pac! I love his markings and bright green color.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

4mb3r

Anyone know what size sterilite would be better for him? 6q or would the 15qt be ok?

Nationality
    [United States]

i would use 6qt all my adult are in 16 qt that will work intill they turn into adults keeps humidity i like tubs better but u can use a 10 gal
    Ceratophyrs and African Bullfrog Keeper For Life

4mb3r

Quote Originally Posted by pac View Post
    i would use 6qt all my adult are in 16 qt that will work intill they turn into adults keeps humidity i like tubs better but u can use a 10 gal
    Alright, great!! Thanks so much for the help!

Amphibious

Great looking frog. Also I just don't understand how you convinced him or her to sit in your hand. My cranwelli is far less congenial.

4mb3r

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    Great looking frog. Also I just don't understand how you convinced him or her to sit in your hand. My cranwelli is far less congenial.
    Hes a pretty calm little guy.. He hasnt ate that I can notice either.. I threw in some crickets. I wish I would have counted how many, theres 3 still in there. Ive tried putting red wigglers in frong of him. Not even a flinch.. Hopefully he just needs some settling in and will start eating soon!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    My 2 Cranwellis will sit on my hands. Loki doesn't like it as much as Grif does though. He's really hyper and energetic. Grif will actually climb into my hands if I have her out to soak. When she is done with her soak shell hop twards me and climb into my hands when I put them in the water. She let's me know she wants to go back home by trying to burrow in my hands. Kind of cute huh? Though most frog owners believe this behavior from your frogs is bad as it is unatural for them to like to be handled. She gets grumpy occationally but it makes it really easy for me to clean her home and bathe her. They trust me. That's how I see it.

4mb3r

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    My 2 Cranwellis will sit on my hands. Loki doesn't like it as much as Grif does though. He's really hyper and energetic. Grif will actually climb into my hands if I have her out to soak. When she is done with her soak shell hop twards me and climb into my hands when I put them in the water. She let's me know she wants to go back home by trying to burrow in my hands. Kind of cute huh? Though most frog owners believe this behavior from your frogs is bad as it is unatural for them to like to be handled. She gets grumpy occationally but it makes it really easy for me to clean her home and bathe her. They trust me. That's how I see it.

Aw lol sounds cute . I got 2 albino pacmans earlier as well(from the same lady) I just love these frogs!

Thread Information