Thread: new vivarium questions...

amanda

Question new vivarium questions...

Hi im new here and need some info. so ive finally gathered all the supplies ill need to build a few naturalistic vivs. I want to go about making them with a leca layer seeing as how i find it hard to keep the humidity up in a couple tanks. It gets really cold this time of year (to me anyways) where i live it usually stays in the 60s in the day. How would i go about heating the vivs? i more than likely wont put a water feature in just yet so a water heater is probably out of the question. would i just keep using the lights on top? if so would the plants be able to handle the heat? would an undertank heat mat suffice or will it crack the glass cause of the water at the bottom though there wont be much at any given time just enough to keep the humidity up? and will a heat mat be able to penetrate through all the layers? i read a lot of people use pumps and filters for false bottoms but would i need one even without a water feature or would mold form and the water become stagnant? sorry too many questions, i know , i just like to get my research in before starting a project. any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: new vivarium questions...

I use a heat mat on the side of the tank and that is enough to keeps the temp up. You do not need a pump unless you have a water feature. You can use incandescent bulbs forr more heat but be careful with using them in the summer. But if you are in an area that has cold winters incandescents might be the best choice. Heat coming from above is ideal...but always monitor temps with a thermostat. You can even hook your lights to the thermostat so as to not overheat if you think that could happen.

4. This member thanks bshmerlie for this post:

amanda

Well i live in southern ca so it doesn't get TOO cold ive never even seen snow it just gets a bit colder in winter. the daytime temps usually stay in the mid upper 60s maybe low 70s indoors i was just looking for alternatives to incandescents. would putting the heat mat on the side give off a good amount of heat to keep the temps throughout the vivarium pretty much the same? would the heat affect the foam or silicone if put in the side or would it even penetrate the silicone and foam layers?

Badger

Why do you want to avoid bulbs?

It would make it a lot easier on yourself to just hookup a 40 watt red bulb than worrying about placements of heat mats and such. Heat mats are also known to short out and overheat, bulbs rarely do that, they usually just blow. I have 60 watt in my viv right now, and it keeps the temps perfect for my White's.

amanda

I dont necessarily want to avoid bulbs, just thought they might be too intense for some plants but then again i wouldnt know ive never planted a thing in my life lol. Just kind of picking peoples brains here for ideas on heating that will benefit the animals and plants.

Thread Information