Thread: Questions on keeping p. tomopterna

Erimis

Default Questions on keeping p. tomopterna

HI, my name is Missi and I have had my CBB super tiger legs for just over a month. They are about an inch long. I think one isnt eating very well. How can I tell if it is being bullied by the other? HOnestly it is much harder to tell them apart now too. When I got them one was much bigger than the other, I believe it is the one that was previously larger that isnt doing as well. She seems to spend a lot of time at the bottom of the tank and in the water bowl. I have never seen this one eat or poop- I have seen the other one do both. The one that Im worried about is slightly thin but not emaciated. I previously had a Whites, so these looked really thin when I got them!
    Right now they are in a 12x12x18 tank I will upgrade this weekend. Size recommendation? Temps are from 70 on bottom to 95 right next to light, most of tank is 85ish.
    Also, how do you feed your frogs? I am tossing in a few crickets and have two mealworm bowls with mealworms and dubia in it- one on bottom of tank and made a shelf 3/4 of way up tank. Dont think they asre eating out of those.
    Thanks, Missi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bshmerlie

Default Re: Questions on keeping p. tomopterna

I would recommend a 18X18X24 size tank. I think the temps being at 95 at the top is way too hot for them. Tree frogs prefer to sleep on the upper leaves but with the temp at 95 they would have to spend their time closest to the bottom. I keep my Red Eyes around 78 degrees with it being about 80 up by the lights. If you ever have the opportunity to get a temp gun it is very facinating to find out how different areas are different temperatures inside the tank. The high temp may also be why the frog is at the bottom sitting in the water dish...maybe he is drying out too much...which might also affect how much they are eating. My Red Eyes won't touch worms but they do like the dubias. They also only seem to eat out of the bowl that is at the bottom...not sure why. I feed crickets primarily but try to mix it up as often as possible when I come accross other bugs at shows. I've actually had them spit out worms.

Erimis

thx, i do have a temp gun. weird thing is the other one hangs at the top or middle, from 82-94 degrees. I have seen them walk through the food bowls but not eating out of them. There are mealworms out of the bowl, I wonder if they are spitting them out. This frog used to hang out in middle of tank and Once I saw the other frog with his front foot on her back, made me wonder if there is some harassment going on? I really have little opportunity to see what they are doing at night. Or if I do see them they look to be standing in hunting mode.

bshmerlie

I wouldn't worry about harassment too much. My frogs walk over each other with little regard that there's even another frog there. So a foot on the back could just mean that she was in his path to where ever he was heading. Then maybe he got distracted..."ahh...there's a bug".....and just stopped walking....thus the foot on her back. My Red Eye tank is right next to my desk where I sit on my computer at night so I have the opportunity to observe their behaviors for long periods of time. They do sit for long periods of time and occasionally they'll interact with each other when it comes to waterbowls and hunting food, but for the most part they get along well. Boys will get a little rambunctious when it comes time to compete for females but otherwise they are the perfect roommates. I still think 82-94 is too warm for them. Also make sure it is completely dark at night when they are up and hunting.

Erimis

Ok I won't worry about that :-) The temps at the bottom of the tank are 62-69. I will try to find a smaller watt bulb, its only a 40w now. My husband insists that my ever expanding herp hobby be in the unused bedroom, so it is completely dark and really quiet.

Thread Information