Thread: Hello

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hello

I kept bumping into these forums earlier while trying to do some research. I enjoyed reading enough to register.

I have two Blue Dumpies and a brand new Malaysian Leaf Frog, which I just purchased yesterday. I bought my first dumpy about 14 months ago, and I've had the other since the beginning of this year. I've had my dumpies in the 12x12 Exo-Terra habitat, but I'm upgrading now to the 18X18, and I have the materials to make it into a vivarium, including some live plants. This is my very first vivarium, so any tips would be great.

Also, I wouldn't mind any information on the Malaysian Leaf Frog. Everything I have found online (and I spent quite a long time looking) seems to be conflicting.

Kurt

Default Re: Hello

Welcome aboard. Since I have never kept them, I am assuming you can keep them like a toad. Sorry I can't help with the Megophrys, but you can check out http://amphibiaweb.org/cgi/amphib_qu...pecies=montana for at least some info.

That was one site I checked out earlier, but I looked up megophyrs nasuta.

The seller said that they were hardy, low-maintenance, don't jump much, and cannot be bred in captivity. I found some sites that said this frog are great jumpers and to make sure I have a tall tank. Some sites say they are easy to take care of, others say it's hard to keep them alive more than a few months. One site said breeding was very easy, and another said the first successful breeding in captivity happened this past year. Not that I am actually interested in breeding; but it's interesting how different all the little information I found was.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I've never kept these personally but I have close friends who have. They are not a small frog, and while they aren't huge jumpers "proportionally", their size means that their hop is quite respectable in distance. So as with any frog like that, larger enclosures are better, particularly for recent captives. Recent captives can be delicate due to the stress of collection, travel and sitting in a wholesaler's warehouse for a while. Kurt's right - you can keep them like toads. They like a bit more moisture than we would recommend for Bufonids though, and they like a nice carpet of dead leaves in order to feel secure. The Megophrys species that are available in captivity have all have very similar requirements so this is a good guideline. They should be maintained at temperatures in the mid-to-late 20s Celsius (75-85 F).

As for the breeding record, I don't believe last year was the first time. I think they've been bred several times in the past in Europe.

Welcome to the forum .
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Thank you for the info. I did buy dead leaves when I got the guy. Right now, he's going into the 12x12 Exo-Terra. He'll probably get upgraded sometime, but I had already determined that the dumpies were going into a bigger habitat after I bought the supplies for a vivarium ata reptile expo, and I wasn't going to back down from that. I joked with friends that those two little frogs have cost me more than a month's rent in two days...and will probably have more room to move around than I will in my apartment.

Also...without having a sort of pump like I'll have in my larger tank, do you know of a way I can water in the smaller one for the Malaysian Leaf Frog without just having a water dish in there? Probably not? Maybe I'll just need to get another pump and set it up better.

Thread Information