Thread: few questions about ornate pacmans!

mafoo

Default few questions about ornate pacmans!

the time is coming where im going to order my pacman frog! before i get it i have a few questions and gotta get them figured out before i buy my ornate! they should be pretty simple and basic!

first question, what exactly is the difference between an ornate pacman frog and a cranwelli or whatever it is? the "what frog is right for you?" care article says that ornate pacman frogs are usually diurnal, but i know most pacmans are nocturnal so is there a difference between ornates and other ones? i also know about the size difference and ornates are more aggressive.

2. what kind of lighting can i use just to brighten up the tank during the day and make it more like day time instead of having it dark in there. i like to be able to see my frog easy but i don't want the light to produce to much heat so it gets to hot!

3. in the pet shop in my town they don't have coconut fiber but they do have good reptile safe plantation soil, will that do just as good as coconut fiber or should i really search around for it?

that's about all the question i got right now but ill probably remember some more and ill just post them on this thread, thanks guys!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

dsmalex97

Default Re: few questions about ornate pacmans!

Quote Originally Posted by mafoo View Post
    the time is coming where im going to order my pacman frog! before i get it i have a few questions and gotta get them figured out before i buy my ornate! they should be pretty simple and basic!

first question, what exactly is the difference between an ornate pacman frog and a cranwelli or whatever it is? the "what frog is right for you?" care article says that ornate pacman frogs are usually diurnal, but i know most pacmans are nocturnal so is there a difference between ornates and other ones? i also know about the size difference and ornates are more aggressive.

2. what kind of lighting can i use just to brighten up the tank during the day and make it more like day time instead of having it dark in there. i like to be able to see my frog easy but i don't want the light to produce to much heat so it gets to hot!

3. in the pet shop in my town they don't have coconut fiber but they do have good reptile safe plantation soil, will that do just as good as coconut fiber or should i really search around for it?

that's about all the question i got right now but ill probably remember some more and ill just post them on this thread, thanks guys!

1. Besides the size difference, the colors seem to vary with ornates being more busy I believe. The cranwelli have more of a reduced look. I've heard that the ornates are better swimmers? I don't know if this is true though.

2. I personally use a CFL that I have by both my frog tanks. I just mount it to a dresser above both the tanks and it creates enough light for it. Just remember a lot of light can stress them out.

3. If you know its reptile safe then go for it. If there is any kind of doubt, or you're assuming, definitely look around for the coco fiber. I know there are people who use top soil as a substrate but I've always had coco fiber available so I've never tried it.

Congrats, and good luck with your pacman!

Sublime

They are closely related species of the Ceratophrys family (Horned frogs - Pacman frogs) in regions of South America. C. cranwelli are more commonly available in the pet trade and seem to be the overall best pacman to start out with. If I'm not mistaken, almost 100% sure that all pacman frogs are nocturnal. The C. ornata isn't all that different from the other pacmans other than what I can think of off the top of my head (smallest horns of the ceratophrys family, largest known pacman in captivity, broad heads, and are novice pacman frogs). The C. cranwelli adult size in the range of 5-6", and the C. ornata 6-8".

During the daytime you can use an incandescent clear daytime bulb. These can be found at hardware stores (spot lights), or in pet shops labeled under the brand names, Exo-Terra or Zoo-Med. For night time viewing you can buy a red incandescent bulb (infrared). Depending on the size of your tank is what wattage light you'll need, so if it's a 10 gallon, it would be appropriate to utilize in the range of a 40-50 watt bulb. You can also buy a dimmer switch at pet shops or hardware stores to lower the wattage output so you're not getting so much heat produced.

Yeah the plantation soil is fine, isn't it the Exo-Terra brand? If it is, it is coconut fiber labeled under a different brand that is popular under Zoo-Med. Holds humidity great, and provides a good consistency of dirt for them to burrow in. You can also try going to a hardware store or plant nursery and looking for a top soil that is additive free with no mulch. That could also work as an alternative since your choices are limited. Also, Amazon or any other online store is a great place to purchase these types of supplies shipped to your door.

mafoo

yes the soil is under exo-terra so i geuss its good! still really curious about ornates being diurnal, because im not really doubting the guides on here, but im also not doubting you! i think they might have a good light at my pet store near me, so things are looking good! almost everything i need is close by! also ive heard ornates are better swimmers to but not sure of it.

IvoryReptiles

The Ornates are better swimmers, but not by much............I find it more accurate to say they are better soakers.
    They are diurnal and will eat just fine during the daylight hours whereas the cranwelli are nocturnal and respond much better to eating in the evenings or at night. Neither is completely aquatic and will need some land area.

mafoo

thats good news for sure! i already knew that they would need mostly land area but i still cant see how a pacman frog could ever actualy swim. thanks a whole bunch for answering my question about ornates being diurnal because that really helps that they will eat during the day and not just at night. i think i should be good to go since i really dont have anymore questions. thanks for the quick replys! helps a bunch when you ask a question and dont have to wait 3 days for an answer lol!

mafoo

also i just thought of something, normaly for my firebelly toads i use bottled water since i live out in the country and our water has a whole lot of iron in it. when i get my pacman frog would this be ok for it and would it be ok for my firebellys toads to? my fridge does have a filter thingy on it so it should take a bunch of the iron out of the water to but i dont wanna risk trying it on my firebellys and hurting them either

IvoryReptiles

Run the water through the filter...it won't remove everything but that's okay......then dechlorinate the water before using it for your animals. The frogs absorb nutrients and minerals through their skin & they need water that contains those things. If the water has nothing in it, it will drain essential nutrients & minerals from the frog itself and the frog will become ill & will die.

Thread Information