Thread: New Vivarium

pattycakes1589

Default New Vivarium

Hello all, I am new to this forum, looking for some help finding a new tank for my five tree frogs, maybe some one can help.
    I have: one Barking tree frog- Hyla gratiosa
    two green tree frogs- Hyla cinerea
    three squirrel tree frogs- Hyla squirella
    I also have some ground dwelling frogs/toads, a narrow mouthed frog, florida cricket frog, and a spadefoot toad.

They are all in a ten gallon tank, I know this is too small but i can't find a tank large enough for cheap, can some one help?
    I will try to attach some photos or a link
    Flickr: pattycakes1589's Photostream

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: New Vivarium

Not only is the tank way to small, it is also not a good idea to house different amphibian species together. Each species should have its own enclosure. The reasoning for this is amphibians have porous skin that absorbs just about everything, while at the same time most also have skin toxins to protect themselves. By housing different species in the same enclosure you risk cross-contamination or the frogs poisoning each other.
    I am assuming that you live in Florida (or somewhere close by), and you caught all these frogs yourself. By keeping species from different locales together you risk cross-infection. In other words, the frogs could be exchanging different pathogens with each other that they may not have any immunity for. By housing species from the same area the odds are less of this, however they don't negate the possibility of cross-infection.
    Back to the over-crowding issue. Keeping that many frogs in that small space makes it hard to keep up with sanitary conditions, so you risk your frogs developing skin infections like "red-leg"
    So please, seperate them in to species-specific enclosures as soon as possible. Thanks.

Also, welcome aboard.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Most times we don't recommend keeping non-conspecific amphibians together (that is, frogs of different species should not be kept together). There are many reasons for this, but the general consensus is that it is better for them to be separate. As for the tank, first try the classifieds or something like that. Often times people will be selling cheap tanks they just want out of their garage or basement. If that doesn't work, how about plastic containers? Kurt and I both love our rubbermaid containers. They're cheap, easy to clean, and you can get a bunch of different sizes and shapes.

Alex

pattycakes1589

Okay well, first off i do know that the frogs have porous skin,so i keep them misted and the tank clean of anything that might harm them. And actually all of the frogs were captured from the same area, crazy I know, they were all within about 1 mile of each other, probably less, so i think they are all okay really as far as infections go. I understand you're concern for close enclosures, I have the same concern which is why I really want a new tank to house them in. I don't mean to seem like a know it all or anything but I think they are okay. They are all good around each other too, they all eat well and are very active at night, which is why I say that. I really appreciate you're suggestions, and will look into those things.

Perhaps you could post some pictures of the rubbermaid tubs, so i could get an idea for what you mean by using them for housing.

Thank you very much

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Stickied at the top of this very area of the forum : http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...-vivarium.html
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Wyomingite

Ya may consider checkin' Craigslist as well. I always see tanks for cheap , and I'm sure in Florida the ads are far more diverse.

WYite

Amphibians

Your not going to get much support for keeping that many species in one tank on these forums I'm afraid. And that's because it really just isn't a good idea.

Thread Information