Thread: Decreased appetite

Amphibious

Default Decreased appetite

My pacman has a decreased appetite. It still eats, but it eats something along the lines of one large cricket every other day. It used to be far more ravenous. Is this a cause for concern? Do you have any idea why this would happen?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

losism

Default Re: Decreased appetite

Because of the season change, I would check if maybe your temps are dropping some parts of the day.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    My pacman has a decreased appetite. It still eats, but it eats something along the lines of one large cricket every other day. It used to be far more ravenous. Is this a cause for concern? Do you have any idea why this would happen?
    How large is your Pac? Any change in environment that could have caused stress. Is your frog pooping regularly? Your temps may need to be raised in the 84 to 85 range during the day and keep the night time temp around 78 to 79 may help with the appetite.

Amphibious

My frog is 3-4 inches s-v-l. I wouldn't be surprised if temperature was the problem. However that raises another problem. It's almost impossible to maintain solid tropical temperatures in her tank. I'm already using dual heat sources. I have a heating pad and a lamp with a 60 watt bulb (it was the smallest I could find at the pet store) and maintaining proper temperature is still really difficult. I have the lid partially covered. I guess now the question is does anyone have a secret to maintaining proper temperatures aside from what I am already doing? I'd like to keep her but if I can't meet her requirements then that can't happen.

losism

You didn't say but if your using glass tanks that might be the problem. I switched to plastic 15qrt tubs and my humidity and heat went way up!

Amphibious

I am using glass. It's a 10 gallon tank. That's interesting. Do you use heat sources with the plastic tub? Have you had any problems with it if you are?

Sublime

Well since light fixtures get really hot, you need to cut out the lid of a plastic tub and place screen mesh on top. The heat pad can go on the side of the tub additionally. People find that plastic tubs are a great for insulating heat and humidity. Also they are made from high-density polypropylene so the melting point isn't a concern unless you're placing an object directly on the plastic that gets up to 200 fahrenheit.

You should cover 3/4 of the top of your screen (glass or wet towel), leaving 1/4 of it exposed for a light fixture and airflow to help your issue with humidity and heat. What's the temperature inside your house? How much do you mist a day? Maybe try buying a digital thermometer/hygrometer since the calibration might be off with yours. Another troubleshooting method is to maybe build a cheap insulator box like a sterilite tub to set your tank into wrapped around a blanket. If all else fails, buy a $30 space heater at Walmart for the room your pacman is in.

9. This member thanks Sublime for this post:

Amphibious

I mist heavily around four times a day. The temperature in the room where the frog lives is 60F during the day at this time in the year. It may get a little colder at night but I think it stays between 50-60. This is the approximate temperature of the whole house give or take based on where the sun hits and such.

Nationality
    [United States]

I mist heavily around four times a day. The temperature in the room where the frog lives is 60F during the day at this time in the year. It may get a little colder at night but I think it stays between 50-60. This is the approximate temperature of the whole house give or take based on where the sun hits and such.
    60 degrees poses a problem. Also analog gauges aren't always so accurate and lose calibration after a while. The temp is probably the issue. They do not eat as much when temp and humidity are off. Especially if it stays that low for a while. Temp affects their digestion. I would go with the space heater. I use one and have lights and heat pads. I don't have an issue maintaining temps. Of course I live in ohio. Try the space heater and face it in the direction of your frogs terrarium. It will make hum

losism

I use a heating pad, I have it pinned to between the back of the plastic tub and the wall. the plastic tub cost me about $6 at Target. I drilled 9 holes on the lid. Hope it all works out.

wesleybrouwer

Quote Originally Posted by losism View Post
    You didn't say but if your using glass tanks that might be the problem. I switched to plastic 15qrt tubs and my humidity and heat went way up!
    I don't know if you changed anything else, but I solely use glass tanks and reach the right humidity and temperature .
    So that shouldn't be the problem if you ask me.
    If the room is to cold for you're heat sources , you might insulate the viv,
    You may use wood or Styrofoam to cover 3 sides , this prevents from cooling to fast.

Amphibious

I discovered the problem. I had the heating pad and lamp focused on one side based on the hot and dry/cool and wet side of the tank concept. This double whammy made the one side too hot and the rest too cold. I centered the light. Within a few hours my frog was up out of her burrow. I also picked up some earthworms which are her favorite to encourage eating. She ate ravenously and even gave chase to the food, hopping around and such. I wish I had realized this earlier. She seems so much better. Problem solved and thank you everybody for your input!

Nationality
    [United States]

I discovered the problem. I had the heating pad and lamp focused on one side based on the hot and dry/cool and wet side of the tank concept. This double whammy made the one side too hot and the rest too cold. I centered the light. Within a few hours my frog was up out of her burrow. I also picked up some earthworms which are her favorite to encourage eating. She ate ravenously and even gave chase to the food, hopping around and such. I wish I had realized this earlier. She seems so much better. Problem solved and thank you everybody for your input!
    That's how my tanks are set up. I didn't think to ask if you had the light centered. That's how you give them the proper temp gradient. The light being in the center warms the ambient air in the tank which also increases the temp on the warm side and the cool side will still remain cool. Humidity will still drop but the frog will be warm and won't dehydrate as long as you mist and keep the soil moist. I'm happy to hearall is well.

Thread Information