Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me identify this tadpole!!!

Tori Savage

Default Please help me identify this tadpole!!!

Ok....... So I had went to the local pet store to buy crickets for my other frogs and came across a tadpole in a fish tank. The woman told me that it was supposed to be a Leopard Frog. This tadpole, no joke, looks mutated because it is so huge. Now when I had first gotten it, I had measured it through the tank glass. It measured every bit of 3 inches. WOW!!! Now it has doubled its size, just about! These pics were taken from my iphone so they are a bit big. I hope someone can tell me what this tadpole is!!! It already had its back legs. There's no telling how long it had them before I bought him. I've had him for atleast 6 weeks, and nothing has changed except for his size....
    Attached Images Attached Images      

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Poly

Default Re: Please help me identify this tadpole!!!

I don't see any photos?

Tori Savage

Poly, they are there now. I had to edit the post and then I added the pics! Sorry!

Poly

It COULD be an American BullFrog tadpole, but I did some research, and I'm stumped... then again, I know little to noting about tabpoles!

Someone on this forum will have an answer for you!

~Royce

Tori Savage

Thanks. The only tads that I've had any kind of experience were my grey tree frog tadpoles. And I have 1 survivor left out of atleast 200 tadpoles. Your toads look awesome as well as the chubby. It seems as every time I see a new species, I want it! LOL

Poly

Well, the only tadpoles I've seen are; american toad, wood frog and leopard frog tadpoles. Wow, only 1 out of 200? Not a very good survuval rate...?

Thanks, I love my toads and chubby, hopefully I'll be purchasing another chubby this weekend!

~Royce

I'd say that's a Bull frog if you look at the sides there are what appear to be ridges like the adult frogs have and the eyes look the same as a Bull frog.

Badger

I can assure that is not a leopard frog, they get 3 inches MAX stv as adults.

Tori Savage

Thanks guys!!! how long does it take these guys to finish turning? I've had it for atleast 6 wks now, if not more......

Tori Savage

My tadpole has finally grown all 4 legs! The 2 front sprouted sometime between thanksgiving and the weekend. It also has more spots too!!!

Tori Savage

Check this out guys!!!!!!! (pic heavy! lol)
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by Tori Savage View Post
    Check this out guys!!!!!!! (pic heavy! lol)
    Congrats! Yup, just as we all suspected... American BullFrog

He looks great!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

LOVE the sound of bullfrogs at night. Are ya gonna keep em'? Hmmmm.......wonder how big a tank you need for a bullfrog.

Poly

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    LOVE the sound of bullfrogs at night. Are ya gonna keep em'? Hmmmm.......wonder how big a tank you need for a bullfrog.
    American Bullfrogs are a great amphibian to keep, though, they are very aggressive, and will try to eat almost anything, from pinkies to full grown mice, other frogs, slamanders, newts, and probably any insect they can fit into their mouth...

Tori Savage

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post

As of rightnow, it still has a tail, and shrinking very quickly! Also, it is in a half water half land tank, and if I remember correctly, it's a 10g tank. I was thinking that when it gets bigger, it will need room to jump.... So, I will go to Walmart/Dollar General, get 2 kiddy pools. Put one right side up, the other up side down on top of the other, seal it. Cut the bottom out of the top one, and put a wire meshing. Or if I decide to turn it lose, I do have a good sized pond it can eat all the fish and whatever else it can find to much on! There's always bullfrogs in my pond!

Tori Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Poly View Post
    American Bullfrogs are a great amphibian to keep, though, they are very aggressive, and will try to eat almost anything, from pinkies to full grown mice, other frogs, slamanders, newts, and probably any insect they can fit into their mouth...
    So if it's this hungry, even though it is still in tail shrink mode, do I need to offer food??? My last experience with tadpoles, not bullfrog of course, they didn't eat until the whole tail was asorbed. Now, at this particular moment, I do have feeder fish, crickets, meal worms, night crawlers, and blood worms (but frozen) which is best?

Tori Savage

Royce, believe it or not, but it is actually people friendly. I can put my hand in the bowl of water, and it gets on my hand. I have to make it get off of my hand every time. I don't understand this!!! By the way, how can I tell if it is male or female, or is it way too young for this?

Poly

Royce, believe it or not, but it is actually people friendly. I can put my hand in the bowl of water, and it gets on my hand. I have to make it get off of my hand every time. I don't understand this!!! By the way, how can I tell if it is male or female, or is it way too young for this?
    It may be friendly with people... but not with it's food... It's far too young yet to be able to sex it. As for it climbing on your hand, it is most likely for warmth.

Tori Savage

When it is done with the tail, what would be the main source of food? Right now it is housed in a tank with a bowl that takes up half the tank, and it also has moss in it for the time being, until I can get some Plantation Soil in it.

Poly

When it is done with the tail, what would be the main source of food? Right now it is housed in a tank with a bowl that takes up half the tank, and it also has moss in it for the time being, until I can get some Plantation Soil in it.
    Crickets and worms. And, yes, you've got a great set-up, just make sure 50% is plantation soil, and 50% is water, deep water too, Bullfrogs like to submerge themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information