Thread: Over weight WTF - cutting food is a concern

Nationality
    [South Africa]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Over weight WTF - cutting food is a concern

Hi all

I recently got my first pair of White's Tree Frogs and have had them now for 3 weeks. Set them up in a really slick looking exo-terra style set-up (will upload pics once 100% complete). They have been doing well and the male has been calling most evenings. They have also been eating very well, in fact a little too well, the previous owner kept them in a very small tank and obviously feed quite a lot and the female is well over weight. I have already cut back on feeding only crickets to them only twice a week now, but I have a concern about this. I have a background of working with monitor lizards, and especially with African monitor lizards which are prone to obesity, I know that when monitors start becoming over weight the worst thing to do is to put them on a crash diet as this effects their over all health. The best thing with monitors is to rather get them running around so we usually put them on an 80-90% insect diet where they are forced to run down their prey again instead of sitting and waiting for it. I know this is a bit harder with WTF but even though they do hunt down crickets is cutting their food intake really the smartest thing to do?

I would love to hear some feedback on this and to hear what success you guys have had with cutting down the weight of your WTF and their health was positively effected. My big concern at this point is cutting down feeding and they start losing condition.

Many thanks!
    Darryn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LazyEyedFroggie

Default Re: Over weight WTF - cutting food is a concern

White's are a naturally fat frog twice a week seems a little too little to me. How many crickets do you feed each per meal? I personally have not owned White's but I know people who do, and their frogs are all chubby I think that the hunting should provide enough excercise for them, considering their lazy nature. do you have any pictures of their exact size?

Thread Information