Thread: Whats wrong with my whites?

Kristen

Default Whats wrong with my whites?

Hi, my whites tree frog Kevin has four brown patches on his head, and his skin is getting kind of blotchy with brown, and he is going really dark (almost black) when his usaully bright green. Is there something wrong with him?
    (Ignore the black thing on his skin, it was dirt and i didnt want to annoy him by taking it off)

Him before:

Thanks,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

LazyEyedFroggie

Default Re: Whats wrong with my whites?

odd.... white's can change color subtly according to mood, temperature, and humidity. What is the temerature/humidity of the tank? how much have you been feeding him?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Besides temp and humidity levels, what water source are you using and what supplements are you supplying when feeding?

Discoloration and blotches or spotting can be many things and its hard to diagnose without more info such as pics of enclosure, how well he is eating, and if you are finding normal droppings from the frog. I have seen skin issues similar from handling after handling something toxic to the frog and from actual bacterial issues.

If I were you I would send a photo of the frog to Dr.Frye.dvm@sbcglobal.net and explain the condition to him. He can also be reached at (734)439-2273. He can send you medication to treat the frog if needed.
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf/ Frog - Agalychnis callidryas
    1.1.1 Bumblebee Dart Frog - Dendrobates leucomelas
    1.1.0 Dendrobates truncatus - Yellow Striped
    1.1.1 Dendrobates tinctorius – Bakhuis Mountain
    1.1.0 - Dendrobates tinctorius - Powder Blue
    1.1.0 - Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Kristen

The temp is around 28 C (26 C over night) and the humidity's fine, I can't find the camera but their enclosure has a foam exo terra background, pea gravel on the ground with coco hust over the top of it, it has glass in the middle of it to seperate water from land, the land has a peace lily, mondo grass, baby tears, and bromiliads, it also has a log in it. The water has a big peice of driftwood sticking out of it going over towards the land section. It has another log poking just above the water so they have something to rest on, and they also have a build up of pebbles to sit on. He feeds well, but not as good as his brother (his brother is more domanent) but I always make sure he gets some food, I mainly feed them crickets, sometimes some woodies and occasionaly mealworms. I feed them every two or three days, there food has gutload. The water also has a filter and it is airated well.
    If you need to know more just ask, thanks
    And, I don't know if this helps, but the other week his brother Eddie bit his leg and was hanging off him, kevin was screaming and eddie let go, I wasnt sure if I should seperate them, but I can if I have too because I have a few spare tanks, Thanks.

LazyEyedFroggie

hmm.... he could be scared, although, i doubt that's the problem. was there any slight foul smell or mould in the tank? how many bugs do you feed each meal? and what kind of wood is in the tank? this seems odd to me, because the other frog isn't having problems, so maybe he's super susceptible to illness...? or he's just feeling very inferior to his brother...

Kristen

There was a little bit of a smell, but I did a full tank clean when I noticed it, and it hasn't came back. I feed them about 5 crickets each, but sometimes I have to put more in so Kevin gets some. The wood is malasian driftwood from my local aquariam that I washed heaps, boiled it, then baked it.
    He was acting more lively today, and was hopping around, and eating more so thats good

LazyEyedFroggie

Excellent the problem then, I'd say, was most likely "bad" coco fiber. It starts to smell a bit just before it moulds. Glad to hear he seems better! When was the last time you changed the coco husk before you noticed the smell? Great job as well for the good care of the driftwood!!

Thread Information