Thread: how to breed darts?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default how to breed darts?

Looking to get into breeding various dart frogs.

Who has experience with breeding and what species are best to breed?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: how to breed darts?

I breed quite a few different species/morphs. Be sure to do lots of research. You always want to breed frogs that are from the same locale and import group, if possible. There are dozens of unique populations of most species that are isolated and cannot breed with one another in the wild, so these should not be mixed in captivity. Most dart frog species do best in pairs only, especially if breeding. There are many morphs of Dendrobates tinctorius, including the azureus morph (blue poison frog), and these are quite easy to keep and breed. Starting with a sexed pair can be pricey, costing from about $200-$400, depending on the morph and whether they are simply two sexed individuals or a proven pair. If you like blue frogs, you just can't go wrong with azureus. You can pick up froglets for as little as $25 each and raise them together until they are old enough to sex. After that, they have to be paired off. The females are extremely territorial and will fight, which often results in the submissive female hiding a lot and losing weight. If kept together longer, the submissive frog will often die.

Anyway, any of the tinctorius morphs are easy to find and breed and you don't have to leave them to rear the tadpoles, like other species. You can remove the eggs as soon as they are fertilized and raise them yourself. You can also leave the eggs and the parents will give them a piggy-back ride to the nearest pool of water when they hatch and leave them. At that point, of course, you'll either need to remove them or feed them in place if the water feature is large enough. However, most can be cannibalistic, so it's best to put each tadpole in its own small cup until it morphs out.

There are many written and video tutorials on breeding and raising dart frogs. Both Black Jungle and Josh's Frogs have videos that you can access through their websites or search for on YouTube. I'd watch both sets to get different ideas. Also, plan on at least a 20-gal for one pair of dart frogs. My breeding pairs are mostly in 29-gal vivs.

John Clare has more experience than I do and he has kept many different smaller species (referred to as thumbnails). His photos will make you want to get every type he has .

Good luck.
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

wesleybrouwer

Reading you're post, you're quit new to poison dart frogs.
    You might consider to start off with some forgiving species, more tolerant to mistakes every novice is guaranteed to make

Epipedobates tolerates a wide range of temperatures and is quit the bold frog, an underestimated little guy with a hell of a voice.
    When it comes to getting experience in breeding, this might be one of the best species.
    Whether you choose to manually hatch the eggs and raise the tadpoles, or you leave it up to nature, they will reproduce for you

If you like, Dendrobates leucomelas do great in a couple or trio (2.1) as well and can also tolerate quit a bit.
    Phyllobates bicolor are great as well and has a nice vocal, when you provide enough room, you can keep them in a male heavy group for best result.
    Altough i hear stories from people finding the bicolor not as easy as i found them to be.

Tinctorius look bold, but in my opinion not directly suited for a novice on Dendrobatidae.

Whatever species it is you are going for.
    Like Jim0 already said, orientate, read, ask and whatever it is you do first; to learn all about the needs and requirement of the species you are going to keep.
    Make sure everything is right, from insurance of enough life food to the decoration and values in you're tank.
    This way you will have a much better first experience with this wonderfull frog family

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am having a acrylic rack made. Its 8ft long 2ft deep and each cage will be divided at the 8in wide mark. I plan on having the back of the rack tilted forward so that water stays and is drained out the front on the bottom. The top of each cage will have a hole in the back for a mister.

On the darts will they breed in a pool of water in the enclosure?

wesleybrouwer

If you like to have a pool, you might consider as what we call a false bottom, this is especially designed for the dart frog hobby.

Coming to you're question.

Some species do use the pool to breed, others don't.
    For example the Epipedobates anthonyi will drop off their tadpoles inside this pool,
    but a Ranitomeya or Oophaga will use the axil of bromeliads to drop them off.
    There are species of wich the tadpoles can be raised together and there are species that are canabalistic.

That is why you first of all have to descide on what frog you like,
    then read and ask about their specific needs.

Starting off with an entire rack..... i just like to say, don't over rush.
    It's difficult enough to start off with only 1 species in 1 tank.
    You may experience a false start by starting off big, instead of gradually expand as soon as you gained some knowledge.
    Might be worth you're consideration

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I will be starting off with 2 pairs or so. The system that's being made for me will just have 12 cages within it. Also is the any stimulating that need to be done to get them to breed?

Nationality
    [United States]

Depending on the height, those sizes are way too small for the larger species. Even if the height is 24 inches (making the volume ~20 gallons), an 8x24 area of floor space (minus space occupied by the water feature, plants, backgrounds, etc., is not nearly enough to keep larger frogs happy. Although they do climb, tinctorius, leucomelas, and auratus are primarily ground dwellers and need plenty of floor space.

You could try pairs of thumbnails, but they aren't the best beginner frog.

If it's not too late to change the design, I'd recommend expanding the enclosures for the dart frogs to a width of 18 inches instead of 8 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesfrogs View Post
    I will be starting off with 2 pairs or so. The system that's being made for me will just have 12 cages within it. Also is the any stimulating that need to be done to get them to breed?
    I used to think that I had to understand in order to believe, then I realized that I must believe in order to understand - Augustine

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ok. I was planning on this rack being a foot high. I was planning on doing ground dwellers 1st. I am trying to use 2 sheets of acrylic to complete the whole rack as acrylic is a few hundred a sheet.

What do you think of these dimensions. 12x12x24 deep?

Thread Information