Thread: Retf Viv Build plan

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Retf Viv Build plan

The plan so far is:
    33 gallon aquarium 30L, 12W, 24H
    adjustable 66 gph submersable pump with access point through eggcrate. to siphone out false bottom or future use of a drip wall.
    False eggcrate bottom with needle point mesh on top of eggcrate,
    A layer of hydroball about 1-1/2 thick, sphagnum moss, coco husk then moss sheets
    A combination of live and fake plants. Pothos, bromeliades, snake plant, and vines.
    Background, formed panels.
    Lighting a single 15-25 watt bulb 2.0 uvb (depending on need)
    Heating, a side mounted heat mat 12x17 on timer also depending on need
    Humidity, adjustable 80 gph pump with misting head with timer adjusting to needed
    Hood, hopefully open screen but will most likely need some glass to retain moisture as the humidity in the house is only 40% according to hygrometer.

So far progress is minimal, I have been reading here to get ideas before I too far ahead of myself and waste alot of time money and effort. I want to have the best home possible.

Any suggestions are welcome

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Retf Viv Build plan

Sounds you got yourselves a nice setup so far! But since you wanted suggestions, here's mine:

Overall, it sounds good to me. The main focus in a terrarium for red eyes should be plants, plants and more plants. They need all the climbing and hiding space they can get. The more hiding space you have, the more you'll see the frogs, since they'll feel more secure and walk around less fightened. The don't normally walk on the substrate, as they prefer to travel from branch to branch, so make sure to have plants covering as much volume as possible, preferably "linked" so that they can travel around the entire tank without having to walk on the substrate.

The plants you listed are really great in my opinion, especially the pothos. The lightning seems good as well, just don't go above 2.0 since that might actually hurt the frogs. You might also consider get a timer on the light, to create a constant day/night-cycle. A heating pad on the side of the tank is good, even if I personally perfer to use lights on top of the tank (like in the wild) to create heat. One of the pros with an UTH is that you can create heat at night, without disturbing their day/night-cycle. I personally would add a simple dimmer to the UTH, since it's a really small investment and you gain the ability to more accurately control the temperature.

On a final note, an eggcrate false bottom AND a hydroballs are a little bit redundant, since you often use hydroballs to create a drainage layer, which the eggcreate false bottom already provides. The hydroballs will not hurt, but it probably won't make much of a difference.

If you want some furthers ideas, check out some of Frog forums members that have red eyes. From the top of my head, DonLisk, Cheri and Flybyfern.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks Viper
    Yes the lights and and heat would go on timers along with the misting system. I forgot to put that in there. I want to put the hydroballs in there as a nutient base for the the live plants and the false bottom to hold water for evaporation, which humidity is my biggest concern as our winters here the air is very dry.

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Blog Entries

Well, I would not worry about the humidity if you use live plants (which stabilizes the humidity), sphagnum moss (great to maintain moisture) and a misting system. I live in the northern parts of Sweden, so the humidity is really low in the winter here as well. However, I'm having a hard time to keep the humidity down even without anything covering the tank
    These are however changes that you easily adress later on, if you find the humidity too low or too high.

caverboy

Would love to see any pictures of the build, especially the underlying structure, as you progress. I am planning a test build of a 12x12x30H tank for some BETFs. Will have to add a front with some vent panels and hinges. Am thinking about a tiered substrate slope(i.e. Vietnam rice hills) with lots of plants. Will look at the recommendations from Viper as well.

Post pics when you can.

Thanks, Caverboy

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by caverboy View Post
    Would love to see any pictures of the build, especially the underlying structure, as you progress. I am planning a test build of a 12x12x30H tank for some BETFs. Will have to add a front with some vent panels and hinges. Am thinking about a tiered substrate slope(i.e. Vietnam rice hills) with lots of plants. Will look at the recommendations from Viper as well.

Post pics when you can.

Thanks, Caverboy
    I will be posting some pics soon but the egg crate false bottom is the same as what others here have done. its great to be able to steal other peoples ideas lol.

Viper yes thats why i would like to use live plants as much as possible and fill in with fake.

Nationality
    [United States]

Can't wait to see it
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Canada]

This is what i have done so far. The styrofoam panels are siliconed in place and still curing. I am waiting for that to finish before substrate and plants are added. There is an 80 gph pump with none kinking hose 1/2" in the corner, to use possibly for a drip wall but most likely to keep false bottom water from becoming stagnant. The egg crate is cut so the pump is accessable if needed without ripping the whole vivarium apart.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information