Thread: Bad news and good news!

Kerry1968

Default Bad news and good news!

Last week my two Whites babies escaped from their tank

I have a home-made viv and the door wasn't closed properly, so they found their way out.

I was devastated as you can imagine and thought I'd seen the last of them. I left the door open on the enclosure and a dish of water on the floor 'just in case'.

Then Lo and Behold, yesterday morning after 3 days AWOL one of the little ones was back in his tank as though nothing had happened!

I have put him into a plastic tub with a water dish and some fake vines, while I leave the door open on the tank in case the other one decides to come home. No luck yet and to be honest I'm not holding out much hope.

It seems I am destined to only keep one frog out of each pair I buy! First one of my Kassinas did a bunk, now one of my Whites.

So I shall be sorting out a proper closure for the tank and returning the little one back home.

So after all his adventures I must think of an appropriate name for my little escapee now returned. If I knew it was a female she could be Lassie (as in the book 'Lassie Come home' if anyone knows of it!)

I'm not going to tempt fate and get another Whites, I'm happy with my little adventurer!

So bad news kinda turned good!
    Last edited by Kerry1968; October 25th, 2009 at 05:26 AM. Reason: clarification

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Bad news and good news!

At least you got one back. Fix that door.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

into

Sorry to hear about that Kerry. I've been through 7 frog escapes and it's not fun but I have been lucky. If there is a way to get out, they WILL figure it out. I've had 2 frogs figure out how to rip open screen.

Kurt

I wouldn't give up hope just yet. White's can deal with dessication better than most amphibians. Make sure he/she has access to the toilet and that it is clean.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

That is a good name. Your lucky he came back, it probably means it likes the home you built for it.
    My only escapee was my pet garter snake in 3rd grade, we found her (yes her) three weeks later, she had been eating bugs in the basement. Then for the next two months we found loads of baby snakes, dead and alive in the basement. I can't keep snakes as pets any more, sadly.

scribbles

My FBT's got out once. Luckily, I found them all. If anyone has a filter cord with a screen lid, make sure you stick the cord into the tiny gap at the corners of the lid.

Kerry1968

Yes, I made a groove in the side of the wooden frame on the front of my tank for the wire from the pump, but now I've changed the position of the tank in the room and the cord comes out the other side of the frame! Guess I'll have to get the drill out again!
    At least I have solved how to keep the tank door closed now, I'm happier that my remaining frog is going to stay put. I used some 'hook and eye' type fastenings, this tank has been a lot of hassle getting right, but I'm proud of my first effort. (even though I lost a frog in the process )

Kurt

Don't give up too soon.

Kerry1968

I've still got a shallow water dish on the floor of the room they were kept in and keep looking around hoping I will find him clinging to the wall or something.
    Do you know where a 1" long White's might hide out Kurt?
    How far would he travel? The tank is in an upstairs bedroom, do you think he'd stay close by?

Kurt

Sorry, I really can't say. Try searching room by room, starting in the room where the cage is.

Kerry1968

Thanks anyway Kurt.

I sometimes let my white's explore the house. (keeping a close eye on him) Sometimes he stays in one spot and other times he jumps all the way across the room in a few seconds. In generally however he seems to have a theme of liking dark tight spaces.

These spaces can include (but are not limited to) under the table, on the book shelf hiding between a book and the shelf, under random furniture (such as chairs and couches),under my binder or any other tent-like objects sitting on the table, inside the couch/under the cushions (learned not to sit on the couch while holding a curious frog) and most dangerously inside the filtration inside the refrigerator. (What is with my frog and filtration?! I pulled him out before he could hurt himself/get far and have vowed to keep him away from any air ducts/filtration devices from now on.)

Also, if you have a cricket cage nearby they might go near that. Mine likes to sit outside the glass and stare in at the insects. So remember. Any place that is: Dark, tight, made of wood, or made of glass could be a potential hiding place. Good luck with the search. I hope you find him safe and sound.

into

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry1968 View Post
    I've still got a shallow water dish on the floor of the room they were kept in and keep looking around hoping I will find him clinging to the wall or something.
    Do you know where a 1" long White's might hide out Kurt?
    How far would he travel? The tank is in an upstairs bedroom, do you think he'd stay close by?
    all my frogs are in my bedroom which has an attached bathroom. I found my lost frogs in the following places.

Dresser drawer -Cisco (next day)
    Glass Vase - Cisco (next day)
    behind tank - Dumper (same day)
    on top of cricket container - Scooter (later the same day)
    in bathroom under the ridge of the bathtub - Scooter (same day)
    in an empty feeding container (waiting for food) - Jade (later the same day)
    on top of another frog encloser on the other side of the room- Jade (same day)

I've always feared that one of them would get into the closet and that would be hard to find them with all the **** in there.

Check up high and look in nooks and crannies. I let them roam once and a while and Jade likes to find high areas and flatten herself out so I can't see him.

Kurt

You're welcome. Any luck yet?

Kerry1968

Nope.

We have a LOT of stuff hanging around in boxes and bags from moving house (we don't have enough storage in the new place) so it would be a nightmare to try to search through everything and I would be worried about squashing him in the search.

I'm keeping an eye out, checking the water dish and being careful where I walk at night! To be honest it's been a week now and my hopes are fading.

Thread Information